The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Campaign Idea--Sorax Sector
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Campaign Idea--Sorax Sector
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Jedi Master
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Campaign Idea--Sorax Sector Reply with quote

Since you were wondering... my last 'campaign' fell through after one adventure. A symptom of playing with family I guess. Razz The good news is, I'm planning a new campaign for a few local geeks who might be interested. I threw out my old ideas completely, though the notes will probably still be of use somehow. Here's what I have so far.

It has been two weeks since Yavin. Sorax Sector is a mid-size trading sector in the Mid Rim, a mere six light years off the Corellian Run. It contains around 360 star systems, 155 of which are officially settled. As one of the last stops on the aforementioned trade route, Sorax has always been a wealthy sector, and it's citizens lead comfortable lives. Thanks to this relative comfort, free thought florishes--something the Empire hopes to suppress.

For years, Sorax Sector stayed out of the Galactic Civil War, so the Imperials were forced to just grin and bear it. However, when rumors of the real cause of the destruction of Alderran began to circulate, peaceful protests began. When those were put down, not-so-peaceful protests were lead by Rebel forces. After a major skirmish in the capitol city of the world the sector was named for, the local Moff decided to send a strong message by blockading said planet.

In just a few days, the sector has gone downhill. The Corellian Run has been forced into redrawing itself, causing the economy to plummet. Meanwhile, the Moff hasn't budged. Rebel sympathy is rising, and if the Alliance could break the blockade, the sector could be a powerful ally indeed. Meanwhile, smugglers have begun making runs through the blockade, making big scores from a desperate market--but with every successful run, the Empire tightens its grip even further.

The PC's can be either Rebels trying to find a way to break the blockade, or at least get supplies through without attracting Imperial attention, or they could be 'runners'--local slang for smugglers--trying to hit it big on the 'Sorax Run'. Of course, a smuggler thing might be more suited to a one-shot, but if someone could help me figure out a way to make it a full campaign, the help would be appreciated. Smile

Tips? Comments?
Ral_Brelt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Campaign ideas off the basis...

If smugglers, they should start in debt, thus the 'big score' appeal can be dangled in front of them. There could be sessions to get the right cargo for pay off, then sessions to protect said cargo from the people they owe the credits to, other smugglers that would like the cargo for themselves and/or pirates.

Beyond those sessions there's getting in system and then planet side while dodging the blockade. The ship could get damaged in route, thus a need to find repairs and/or allies. Maybe they have to barter with locals or hidden by rebels, thus owing them for their services. From there you could tie in the rebel heroes idea...sculpting the players into rebel operatives or straight out rebel personnel.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the smuggler/Rebel thing doesn't have to be a binary choice. You could easily do both. Perhaps - if one player wants to play a smuggler - you could have that character be sympathetic to the Rebellion. Just make sure at least one PC is a Rebel (preferably one with some leadership skills and/or persuasion abilities) who can encourage the others to help the fledgling Alliance.

The players will likely want to take off from that area, too, if the blockade is too strong. So be prepared to take things out of that area of space (being as the Imperials have such devastating firepower, and the PCs may not want to try to contest that directly) if that's the desire of your players.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Campaign Idea--Sorax Sector Reply with quote

The Jedi Master wrote:
The PC's can be either Rebels trying to find a way to break the blockade, or at least get supplies through without attracting Imperial attention, or they could be 'runners'--local slang for smugglers--trying to hit it big on the 'Sorax Run'. Of course, a smuggler thing might be more suited to a one-shot, but if someone could help me figure out a way to make it a full campaign, the help would be appreciated. Smile

Tips? Comments?

Cool, TJM. I think that is a great start to an ongoing campaign! They could start out as smugglers but slowly get pulled into a Rebellion and become heroes a la The Minos Cluster Campaign in Tramp Freighters (a la Han Solo's character arc).

You could build it up to having the blockade situation escalate until it explode into a battle. Maybe the PCs get a blockade-running job to get the protest leaders off-planet to elsewhere in the sector. Perhaps a previously unknown local rebel group from elsewhere in the sector surprise attacks the Imperial blockade with the PCs caught in the middle of a run. Maybe the capital planet suddenly (mysteriously) surrenders to the Empire and welcomes their rule which the Imps takes full advantage of by establishing a stronger base of operations in the sector. Then the conflict could break out into the entire sector as the rebel movement takes hold. The Rebel Alliance could be trying to get the local Rebellion to join their organization but the locals may be reluctant. I'm just riffing here.

Maybe one PC could start out with rebel sympathies, but they could have illegal debts and have no choice but to make a living as smugglers/mercenaries. With a local rebellion, the Alliance, crime lords cashing in on the conflicts, etc., there are plenty of opportunities to make credits and have adventures. As the PCs grow in skill and experience they could take on more and more difficult jobs leading up to high risk gun running until a critical point where they have to decide to take the money and run, or join the cause and help overthrow the Empire in the sector.

I ran the Minos Cluster campaign many years ago and loved it, but since then I have also created my own original campaign setting to do something similar (but crank it up a notch). No matter where it goes, let us know how the campaign goes!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: