The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Expanded Universe creation in ROTS Trailer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Expanded Universe creation in ROTS Trailer Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:13 am    Post subject: Expanded Universe creation in ROTS Trailer Reply with quote

If you consider what's in the new Ep3 trailer to be spoilers, than stop reading. But Don't worry, nothing will be discussed here beyond what we can see on this trailer.

I was just very happy to see some EU creations showing up on the new trailer. And I think they are probably WEG's!!

The first scene in the trailer shows a ship that looks VERY similar to a Mu-2 Shuttle, basically a Lamba Shuttle with the dorsal fin trimmed.

The another very coll scene show a Juggernaut, those wheeled monstrosities. And I'm pretty sure here's they followed the available material from the EU to the letter. It looks exactly like the picture on my R&E Gamemaster Screen!

Last edited by Gry Sarth on Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Episode III will save the Franchise!

'Course, it has Chewie in it. He'll do the job all on his own. Very Happy
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*tweeet* False start on Ray!

Everyone back to the starting line.

Wait for the gun to go off before making such outlandish claims!

Rolling Eyes

Yes, we'll undoubtedly see the Juggernaught on the big screen. Will it fulfill our wildest expectations? Probably not in the .8 seconds where it gets screen time. Take a look at the assorted vehicles that were introduced and shown all of half a second in Episode 2. What makes people think that what we see with the Juggernaught will be any different.
Amazing, oddly, strangely, Lucas seems to be cowtowing to the fans, probably to get people drooling again so they can go to it and flood his pockets some more. So he throws in some brief clips of things that we recognize. Don't think for a moment that he's going to elaborate on any of them. If he does, I will personally come back here and eat this post! Shocked

I thought I sort of recognized the shuttle in the trailer. Didn't really place it, but that's an interesting idea. Kind of neat. If anything, that might get a couple seconds of air time so we can see more of it.

All told, I'm not holding my breathe for Episoe 3. What I'm doing is holding my pencil ready to have to rewrite it like I did with Episode 1 and 2. Who knows, though, I might be surprised. It hasn't happened yet in two movies, but it still might in the third.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I certainly do not think Ep3 will be a great movie because it has Juggernauts and a Mu-2 Shuttle. It certainly wouldn't make it a good movie if they were the main characters of it. However I did like the tone of the trailer and the direction the story seems to follow. If the movie follows the guidelines of this trailer, I wowill be very pleased with it. However we all know how different a movie can be from it's trailer......
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, last October we did get the following image in the EpIII art folder on the official site:

So we already had a pretty good idea to expect to see at least one juggernaut probably make an appearance. It's appearing in the trailer sounds real good though.

But then since the ANH Special Edition (in which we get to see the Outrider in flight) the EU has been either influencing or flat out appearing in Star Wars movies. Maul's double-bladed lightsaber was preceeded in the EU by Exar Kun weilding one in The Sith War. Lucas saw Aayla Secura in some of the cover art for one of the comics she appeared in and suddenly she's one of the Jedi on Geonosis. Props for both a Jedi and a Sith holocron based on those from the comics were made and at least appeared in the AotC visual dictionary whether or not they actually appeared in the movie. Kun used two lightsabers at once in a fight in Dark Lords of the Sith and Luke used both a lightsaber and a lightdagger at the same time in one of the Marvel comics, both of which were out long before AotC show's Anakin fighting with two lightsabers. Luke also used two lightsabers at once in Onslaught, though whether or not the AotC fight scene had already been written by that time is in question. Look's like EpIII is just continueing the trend.

Wanted Poster
Esjs
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I'm not sure I could be easily convinced that George Lucas saw the use of double-bladed or two lightsabers in the comics and said "Hey, great idea! I think I'll do that in my movies." I think anybody looking to make some exciting lightsaber fight scenes for modern moviewatchers could have brainstormed those fighting styles on their own.

Nonetheless, I am glad to see some of the other EU elements making it to the big screen... even if only for a few frames. I don't mind the "cowtowing."
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that we have another question that is thus far unanswered, did Lucas get the concept for this vehicle from WEG or did WEG get it from Lucas? Stick with me here.

WEG has adapted concept art from the original trilogy in their game books. Lucas has stated that he is revsiting unused ideas from the original trilogy to use them in the new trilogy. I think it is plausible that Lucas had already had this vehicle in the concept art from the original trilogy, but it has gone unused until now.

Just another possibility.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think every bit of concept art from the OT has already been published in some form of other, and I don't recall ever seeing a Juggernaught-like vehicle in that material.

I believe it's very plausible that Lucas got the Juggernaught from some EU material and decided to put it in Ep3.

This might not be the case with the Mu-2 Shuttle, since the cockpit is different, and trimming off the dorsal fin of a Lambda Shuttle to create a new vehicle is not something he couldn't come up with on his own.
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, from what I recall much of what was 'created' for the SW:RPG came from Ralph McQuarrie's concept art for the original Star Wars movie. What might be happening is Lucas is revisiting the concept art from the first film and putting it in Ep3. But, I'm mostly speculating.
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's cool to see some of these more obscure EU elements in the movie. I think they're just a bonus for those of us that already know what they are. To most people, it would just be a big, wheeled vehicle in the movie. But to those in the know, I think that will be a pretty cool moment (even if a brief one) in the movie. "Hey! That was a juggernaut!! Cool!"

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Scrawprin
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Rerun941.

Most of the "new" vehicles seen in the teaser trailer and the trailer are not from West End Games or the "Expanded Universe" - it is old concept drawings or artwork from during the making of Episodes 4, 5, 6 put to good use. If you think about it, it does make sense. During the development of vehicles, the concept art took form, got modified for that "right look", so going back to it is like going back to older vehicles that in the STAR WARS universe, over the years was perfected along the way. Even the Juggernaut (sp?) (wheeled vehicle we see on the planet Mygeeto I believe) I have seen in some old conceptual art back in the day.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just learned one of the senators in the upcoming movie is a Wroonian. First I've heard of them appearing outside of a WEG sourcebook. Chi Eekway

Wanted Poster
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I am excited to see this movie...just about all the reviews I've read seem to think it's pretty good.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAY!!! Wroonians!!! I love Wroonians!
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, instead of all these new, crazy fighters, I'd like to see a few z-95s and some dreadnaughts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: