The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Easy mass combat program
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Easy mass combat program
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bigkrieg
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Easy mass combat program Reply with quote

Hey guys,
I found this website for my D&D game which has a really cool mass combat program which is easy to use. http://www.farlandworld.com/program.html

I was wondering if anyone knew of anything similar for starwars? It would be amazing if there was something simple like this that could be used for large fleet battles or land assaults.

Thanks!
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta agree that it would be awesome to have this for Star Wars! Especially for large fleet battles, though ground assaults could be cool as well.

At some point I might have to try to come up with my own rules, perhaps getting some inspiration from other game systems that have mass unit rules.
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely. Especially for large ground battles, in my case. Something like WETA's 'MASSIVE' system- 'If not interefered with by the PCs, this guy will be wounded by another NPC on round 3 and killed on round 5. This guy will be incapacitated on round 2, and...'. Just generate a nice little reference table of what's happening to whom at each round of the battle... a handy reference chart to describe what's happening all around and what status any targets the PCs have might focus on are at in the current round. (Without having to roll a bunch of times or arbitrarily decide it during the battle.)

Hard core OT, all the way!
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Easy mass combat program Reply with quote

Bigkrieg wrote:
Hey guys,
I was wondering if anyone knew of anything similar for starwars? It would be amazing if there was something simple like this that could be used for large fleet battles or land assaults.

Thanks!

Yeah, as a matter of fact there is something similar that while technically not for WEG Star Wars (D6 system), is compatible with WEG Star Wars (or D6 System) as written. The Battle System for the EABA RPG!

EABA is a universal RPG, designed by Greg Porter, the guy behind BTRC. EABA has quite a few similarities to D6 and although very different in some ways, is close enough to be semi-compatible and fairly easy to convert to D6 System. Characters have stats and skills rated in D6s and adds, weapons have damage ratings in D6s and adds, etc.

Anyways on pages 7.8 and 7.9, of the 1st edition EABA rulebook, there is a simple little two page battle system. In a nutshell, it works like this:

Take the average skill of the troops for each side and uses it as the Battle skill for that side. He then goes through a little checklist of modifiers adjusting the side's skill due to factors such as outnumbering the enemy,s, doing more damage, ammo supply, having better armor, differences in technology,morale, leadership, terrain, or any other type of advantage or disadvantage that you can think of.

Make opposed Battle Skill rolls. The high roll wins. Low roll loses.

Each side determines their casualties by a random roll, modified by thins such as if they won or lost, how big the difference was between the winner's and loser's rolls, how deadly the opponents weapons were compared to you side's armor, and so forth.

Then system even has a "saving throw" mechanic to see how well the PCs do during the battle.

I could adapt it to D6 if it seems interesting.
Bigkrieg
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, if we had something like that for starwars, that would be great!
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'll work on it.

The biggest hurdle I'm having with it is that EABA uses a "best 3" game mechanic. That is you roll as many dice as you have, but only take the best 3 dice. So when I port this over to D6 Star Wars I'm either going to have to bring over the best 3 rule, or scale down the modifiers. But I have to tweak the modifiers some more to reflect the different difficult scales of the two systems.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me as another interested in seeing what you come up with, at. I would think scrapping the 'best 3' and adjusting the modifiers is probably the way to go.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
Count me as another interested in seeing what you come up with, at. I would think scrapping the 'best 3' and adjusting the modifiers is probably the way to go.

That's what I'm doing. It's a bit tricky though. For instace just what does +1D keep the best 3 translate into as far as Star Wars D6 goes?

Right now, just to get some somethig to go with and to avoid some complicated math, I'm thinking that +1D will translate into +1 pip. It's an easy conversion rate, (especially as most modifiers in EABA are in whole dice.

When it's done we'll have to see how the various modifiers stack up against each other. ,
Bigkrieg
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What program are you using to edit the program? Is it very difficult to modify?
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a program, but a pen & paper formula.

The tricky bit is that the source RPG, uses a "best of three" rule, while WEG just totals the dice.o a +1D modifier is the former system isn't worth +1D in D6.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: