The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

3D Pritning and Models
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> 3D Pritning and Models Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merrick
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: 3D Pritning and Models Reply with quote

Hi all,

Just thought I would reach out and see if anyone else was doing this. I have been making some custom models on a 3d printer I bought.

I made a Mobquet Medium Transport for the Player party in the campaign I am running.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:550483

There are a few more models under my profile there. Has anyone else been doing anything with 3D printing?

-General Veers
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty amazing, Merrick!

I posted a thread over on rpg.net asking about this very concept about a year ago. My guess is that it's going to significantly change our hobby for many (but probably years away, when the technology becomes cheaper and more mass market).
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wanting to invest in a few ships for the campaign I have running with my kids. I've got some of the WotC starship minis, but there are quite a few models I'd love to have if/when they can be printed at a reasonable pricepoint.

This thing looks amazing, and I can easily see using something like it.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too, ches. I could definitely see myself using one, and am looking forward to the day when they're very inexpensive and common.
Merrick
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Flashforge Creator which is a Chinese knock off of Makerbots early open source model. It works pretty well and was less than half the price of Makerbots offerings. I paid 1000 for it, which is quite a bit of money to drop on a hobby, but I rarely indulge in wasting money on such things so my wife was amicable.

There is a new printer entering production called the Micro 3D which has a 4"x4" build volume and costs $350. It looks promising, is large enough for most 28mm purposes and quite affordable.

I will keep putting my work up on thingiverse. Any ships you guys would like to see made?

-General Veers
Panzerjedi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some of the ships with pictures, that are rarely, if ever, depicted in miniature for or 3d renderinhg like the guantlet star fighter, and a few others.
Merrick
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:573340

First try at a simple gauntlet model. I will try printing it tomorrow...

There are a lot of curves on that thing... I found some fan art that moved the guns back near the wing that I thought looked cool. Not quite the same as the one from the Esential Guide book.

-General Veers
Panzerjedi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh wow look cool. Smile
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been browsing around the thingverse, and it looks like someone has made a TIE Interceptor to scale with the WotC minis.

http://www.thingiverse.com/make:61162

This stuff is way cool.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if someone has a 3D scanner they could scan the WotC minis, or even the old WEG minis.
Merrick
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
Well, if someone has a 3D scanner they could scan the WotC minis, or even the old WEG minis.

The entry level 3D scanners (~ $1000) have quality problems with sharp corners and angles. The problems are amplified the smaller the object.

The technology may get there one day which would be cool. But right now you would need to spend $13000+ to get to that level of detail.

-General Veers
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And with that much cash on hand, then I can buy several complete sets of the WotC minis. Smile

I've been pricing them on eBay as RPG pieces for my campaign with the kids.
Panzerjedi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOWIE WOW WOW! That Guantlent model looks awesome! Exclamation Exclamation Very Happy

http://thingiverse-production.s3.amazonaws.com/renders/99/57/de/0f/5a/Gauntlet_Fighter_preview_tinycard.jpg

Thats the protype model yes? Shocked
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merrick wrote:
atgxtg wrote:

The entry level 3D scanners (~ $1000) have quality problems with sharp corners and angles. The problems are amplified the smaller the object.

The technology may get there one day which would be cool. But right now you would need to spend $13000+ to get to that level of detail.

Yup. And the price per mini would be excessive too. Much cheaper to just buy them on ebay at $1 each or so.

But I think we can all see where this is heading. One day, we will be able to print our own minis. Of course, by then, we will probably all be gaming on-line, and have no need to print the minis, but it's still cool.
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:

Yup. And the price per mini would be excessive too. Much cheaper to just buy them on ebay at $1 each or so.

If only!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TIE-Fighter-Ace-56-Star-Wars-Starship-Battles-NM-/390990404161?pt=Games_US&hash=item5b08d81a41

Honestly, that's what I thought too when I went to pick up a couple of minis for me and the kids. It didn't turn out the way I expected. I'm still sitting on a few reasonably priced auctions. But for some reason, those classic starfighters aren't cheap.

Still... probably cheaper than printing them.

Quote:

But I think we can all see where this is heading. One day, we will be able to print our own minis. Of course, by then, we will probably all be gaming on-line, and have no need to print the minis, but it's still cool.

One day... one day...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: