The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Poaching Adventure Locations/Ideas from other Universes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Poaching Adventure Locations/Ideas from other Universes Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panzerjedi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:01 am    Post subject: Poaching Adventure Locations/Ideas from other Universes Reply with quote

Hi how many of you have used modified, adventure location/or ideas poached from other settings and thinly OR heavily modified em to protect the guilty...... I'll start.. and it pretty thinly moded.........but strangely works for sw.

The Graveyard of the Condemned
“Have you never wondered where the lost go? Not the dead, but those lost to hope, and lost to all that holds us to these tattered fragments of life? No, I see that you don't think on this. Neither do I, for I have seen that place, and know that to it I must go to in time, as will you all go.”

–from the last "confession" of Rebel Conrada Nostromas before her execution by the ISB.

There are dark places amidst the Uknown Regions, cursed or just beyond understanding, where the very vacuum of space itself rejects the hands of mortal beings. The unnamed system that hosts The Graveyard of the Condemned is one such place; it is a blighted area, a few worlds circling a bright and turbulent star. Closer in to the solar energies is the Graveyard: A thin orbiting chain of wreckage, crushed ship hulks, and dead vessels of a hundred-hundred-thousand of different origins. If the myriad docks within the Galactic Empire each launched a new vessel at the very same time, that vast fleet might approach a quarter the scope of the Graveyard. The currents of Hyperspace have cast these uncounted many thousands, upon thousands, of sorry wrecks, derelicts and ruined ships here, perhaps for longer than humans have travelled the stars—perhaps for longer than humans have existed. Ghosts and other force echoes orbit within the Graveyard, bound to the wreckage and the dust of their remains.

There are many tales of the Graveyard of the Condemned. The past crew of Privateer Captain Krath Umbolden spun one such tale about how his vessel, the Revenge, came silently to the outer reaches of the Graveyard system whilst upon an expedition far beyond cursed Dolariia. The very vacuum of the system was haunted: presences stalked the crew on darkened decks, foreboding patterns swirled in the sensor grids, and the Revenge’s droids became "disturbed". A Moaning Force Sensitive of the Revenge’s crew had to be sedated while devices failed and unexplained energies crackled about the hyperdrives. Umbolden pressed onwards into the Graveyard, and at his order men packed themselves into salvage craft and launched into the Grave. Some returned with great treasures and strange alien artefacts, some with crew driven mad, frothing and babbling, but most did not return at all, swallowed by this Graveyard of the Condemned, or lured into frozen emptiness by sensor ghosts and failing technology.

Last edited by Panzerjedi on Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think using existing stories as a basic framework to model SW stories is a brilliant ideas. As I understand things, Lucas himself patterned much of his original story on "The Hidden Fortress" by Kurosawa.

I'm not recognizing what story you got your graveyard idea from, Panzerjedi. The film "Supernova"?
Panzerjedi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol.. its from rogue trader, the rpg, ironically, by FFG. iego was to small and not terifiying enough, and the katthol rift not scarry enough for me. Ironic part the basic story/capsule of the system needed little in editing to fit star wars rather then warhammer 40,000.
Ral_Brelt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a blatant rip-off of Enterprise since not many have seen that show. I took the episode where the ship encounters an automated repair facility that will repair the ship for seemingly piddly exchange materials. From there, crew end up getting killed in accidents. In truth, the automated facility is snatching various people and creating corpse simulacrums with replicator tech while jacking the stolen crew to its bio-cpu core to increase its own abilities. I started the game off with the party stealing a corvette from an Imp platform and running for hyperspace with it. I dropped in a VSD across their exit path and had it launch TIEs, they bolted to hyperspace in a blind jump...conveniently across a mine field, and got dumped into wild space. After a bit of searching, they found the station and upon approach, it hailed them and offered to repair their ship.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rip-off movies, TV shows, and other games all the time. I mean, they serve as inspiration.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a few times for me. One of my modules is almost a blantent rip off, of predators. Some i have thought of are
Doing a dirty dozen esque like adventure.
Tears of the sun
Blackhawk down.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely had a "Beowulf in Space" mission that involved an evil Star Dragon.
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using ideas to serve as material for Star Was adventures is very common. I even used a situation like Ground Hog's Day were a very short adventure would result in the characters being killed and one character who was the "anchor" who and realized what was happening. And this ended up being a dream of the character who was force sensitive "farseeing" the next adventure.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All awesome! I especially like that last one by griff!
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don and I have our "Movie of the Week" segment where we share a movie that could be made into an adventure. Some of them, like the recent "Spies Like Us" choice, could make for great beer-and-pretzel games.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Panzerjedi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOl. yeah.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Don and I have our "Movie of the Week" segment where we share a movie that could be made into an adventure. Some of them, like the recent "Spies Like Us" choice, could make for great beer-and-pretzel games.

Man it's been a while since i saw Spies like us.
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a vast collection of D&D stuff, which unfortunately (megadungeons) is not at all useful.

I did intend to use B4 The Lost City and I1 Dwellers of the Forbidden City, somehow, in my neo-Tales of the Jedi game. Also the spaceship from Expedition to the Barrier Peaks.

Oh, and I did crib one of the colony ships from Metamorphosis: Alpha to use as a space station for that campaign.

Gamma World modules often have small encounter areas that could be useful. Ditto for the old Traveller adventures, I have Research Station Gamma, which has a cool underwater research facility layout.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FGU's old Space Opera game has a number of adventures that would make for some interesting conversions, if one wanted to. I've picked up a few over the years, more with the intent to use them for our supers game than anything sci-fi or Star Wars.
Panzerjedi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One question... has any one Done a Robinson Crusoe/Swiss Family Robinson/Cataways type inspired adventure/campain?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: