The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Question about Mon Calamari Shipyards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Question about Mon Calamari Shipyards Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the Mon Cals don't know about the atrocities being committed across the galaxy because their holonet has been cut off. Your players could show them the destruction and devastation that the work they're being forced to do for the Empire is causing and the people rise up and throw off the shackles of repression.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea, Kytross. You know, the holonet is another interesting subject. My understanding of it was one thing, and then the way they're showing it on the show Rebels (where it seems to be playing on the equivalent of a bar in the Outer Rim like it's PBS) is another.

I'm wondering how expansive and big the actual shipyards are as well? There's a cool picture (from one of the comics) that shows them completely encircling the planet (like those at Kuat), but that's supposedly in 137 ABY.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a pretty good discussion going a while back about the nature of the Holo-Net. If you want to follow up, this might be the place to take it.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Theodrim
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, on top of what I wrote in the other thread...in my game that dealt with the liberation of Dac...

Practically no one took the liberation of Dac seriously at first, least of all the Empire. They weren't the first planet to rebel, and those that did were quickly and decisively ground to dust. They're "just" fish people, after all, and after almost two decades of slavery and Imperial propaganda very few if any remembered how daunting the Mon Cals and Quarren could be when push came to shove.

So, the Empire only sent a token fleet (one Imp-1 SD, a number of frigates and cruisers, and a torpedo sphere to deal with the planetary shields) to BDZ the planet. The Empire's counter-attack failed catastrophically, which was a real wake-up call to the Empire to start taking things seriously.

In response, the Empire started a build-up at Raxus Prime to invade the Calamari sector in force. That proved too little, too late, since the Mon Cals tractored asteroids into the Giblim Route and Prously's Rim Run and mined the hell out of the hyperspace routes, leaving only the Overic Griplink passable to capital-scale ships. That's the point at which the Battle of Turkana happened (which in my game was a joint Alliance-Mon Calamari operation), and a small Mon Cal strike force straight-up destroyed the Raxus Prime shipyards while the Imperial fleet was engaged at Turkana.

Of course, while all this is going on Imperial propaganda is working overtime. Oh, and Operation Strike Fear just started.

So, as things are in my game it boils down to simple logistics. The Imperial brass knows the Mon Calamari are a serious problem, but they're not talking about it, and would love nothing more than to wipe the Mon Cals off the galactic map...but with their closest Imperial-class shipyard to their only viable route into Calamari space having gone bye-bye in multiple gigantic balls of nuclear fire, there's frak-all they can do about it. So, until a solution can be created and promptly destroyed by some farmboy from Tatooine, they're running an interference/containment play in the Tion sector.
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could have sworn that many mon cal ships had aquatic capability because they also had shipyards underwater...

In fact I don't remember where..... a Roque Squadron book I think? But I remember there being an aquatic moon they used as a shipyard mainly - because the planet it orbited had no real breathable atmosphere but was material rich - it was in a nearby system but still in mon calamari space...

If I remember right some of the mon cal ship builders hid there when the empire came.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Theodrim (and tetsuoh). My players didn't even end up going to Dac (at least, not yet), but I'm considering ramping things up there for them to do soon (whenever they choose to).

It would be really awesome to have my players be able to play a pivotal role in some of those incidents described.

And the idea of hiding (or even building) some of their massive ships underwater is an awesome one. Definitely would like to use that!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall any mention of underwater shipyards in the official material. The only real mention of Mon Cal ships having underwater capability is in Stock Ships, with the DeepWater-class freighter. The description specifically mentions that, when transitioning from flight to submersible travel, the ship's shields must be reconfigured to counter the water pressure (since water exerts positive pressure on the ship while vacuum exerts negative pressure). IMO, building a ship underwater would cause entirely new construction issues based solely on the radically differing environments. In the end, I think it would be impractical to have an underwater yard for starships. That being said, this is Star Wars, and impractical is often left by the wayside in favor of coolness.

Theodrim
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
I don't recall any mention of underwater shipyards in the official material. The only real mention of Mon Cal ships having underwater capability is in Stock Ships, with the DeepWater-class freighter. The description specifically mentions that, when transitioning from flight to submersible travel, the ship's shields must be reconfigured to counter the water pressure (since water exerts positive pressure on the ship while vacuum exerts negative pressure). IMO, building a ship underwater would cause entirely new construction issues based solely on the radically differing environments. In the end, I think it would be impractical to have an underwater yard for starships. That being said, this is Star Wars, and impractical is often left by the wayside in favor of coolness.

Interestingly, in my game I implied during an action scene the Mon Cals were refitting and hiding frigates below Dac's thermocline layer, and in rifts, due to difficulty of using sensors or sonar to detect large-scale activity at that depth. That little bit was a big hit wth a couple of my players, one of which comes from a Navy family (and has relatives serving currently on subs) and the other is a big Navy buff.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tetsuoh wrote:
I could have sworn that many mon cal ships had aquatic capability because they also had shipyards underwater...

From the WOTC SW RPG 1e Rebellion Era Sourcebook (2001), p. 55 under the heading Mon Calamari

Quote:
Amphibious starships that had been constructed at secret sites deep in the world's oceans emerged to drive Imperial vessels from the star system. Many of these vessels joined the growing Rebel fleet, while others remained in the Mon Calamari system, where they successfully defended it against Imperial counterstrikes throughout most of the Rebellion era.

It seem this obscure tidbit was largely forgotten about subsequently in the EU.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. In that case, I would say that the Mon Cals accepted the increased difficulty inherent in building starships underwater because of the secrecy provided by the aforementioned thermocline layers and deep rifts. Once they successfully evicted the Empire from the planet, they would be able to move their primary starship construction efforts to orbit, although the underwater construction facilities would likely be retained as a reserve.

DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It definitely matched the "rule of cool" in my mind, so I plan on using it, at least some. 8)
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
From the WOTC SW RPG 1e Rebellion Era Sourcebook (2001), p. 55 under the heading Mon Calamari

Quote:
Amphibious starships that had been constructed at secret sites deep in the world's oceans emerged to drive Imperial vessels from the star system. Many of these vessels joined the growing Rebel fleet, while others remained in the Mon Calamari system, where they successfully defended it against Imperial counterstrikes throughout most of the Rebellion era.

DougRed4 wrote:
It definitely matched the "rule of cool" in my mind, so I plan on using it, at least some. 8)

Yeah I thought it was a pretty cool idea too. The adventure idea I from it was that a small rag tag attack force composed of single Calamari Star Cruiser and a few support vessels and fighters muster in a nearby system and launch an attack on the Imperial forces in orbit of Dac. They are easily defeated and the star cruiser is shot out of the sky, but through a semi-controlled descent manage to go into the ocean and sink partially intact. The Imps think they are doomed and celebrate their victory, but underestimate their aquatic opponents. Survivors of the crash encounter a group of Quarren investigating the crash, and they are taken back to a nearby group of underwater Quarren mining cities unknown to the Imps. Over the course of the occupation years, a significant number of Mon Cals have escaped enslavement and made their way to the mining cities which have become the base of operations of a growing insurrection movement. The mining operations have been converted into starship construction facilities which are making small fleet including three star cruisers. The more time that passes the danger increases of being discovered by the Imps, but the wreckage of the crashed cruiser provides some components needed to complete the ships under construction much faster. They coordinate with resistance cells around the planet and in the orbital facilities (that were converted to support the Imperial war machine), and the ships epically rising out the ocean in a surprise attack that total catches the Imps off guard. The Imps take heavy losses before finally retreating from the system and very quickly driving them complete from Calamari Space.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's some great stuff. You're giving me lots of good stuff for a potential excursion to Dac!
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
That's some great stuff. You're giving me lots of good stuff for a potential excursion to Dac!

My pleasure. I know you'll share your adventure in your adventure thread like always so I'm looking forward to it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: