The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Blaster Artillery weapon stats and more???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Blaster Artillery weapon stats and more???
View previous topic :: View next topic  
klhaviation
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Blaster Artillery weapon stats and more??? Reply with quote

So in the course of prepping the Mik II revision of REUP, I came to realize that the Equipment & Weapons chapter was poorly organized and quite inconsistent. This is largely due to the WEG material being in a bit of shambles too. In the concourse of reorganizing the chapter, we came to realize that the blaster artillery weapons are very inconsistent. We tried to reconcile this by using various resources like the GM screen, other editions of the game, and other "typical" stock stat blocks. I know that this comes to no surprise for some of you, but the Star Wars D6 stats are a royal mess with regard to weapon scaling consistency.

There is no "easy" or preexisting fix that I know of, so despite not wanting to rewrite many rules for REUP, we have come to the conclusion that the elephant in the room must be addressed and we will have to set up a standard for weapon damage/scaling.

This really only starts to become a problem as one gets into the blaster artillery. For decades I believe the standard "strength" of blaster/laser weapons is as such.

lt/med/hvy blaster cannon
lt/med/hvy laser cannon
lt/med/hvy laser
lt/med/hvy turbolaser

then there are Ion cannons, proton torpedoes and concussion missiles to reconcile too.

For instance, the GM screen - revised has proton torpedoes doing 9D speeder-scale damage, when in fact I believe that (unless there is a speeder scale torpedo) it has always been 9D starfighter scale damage. That particular product also has some strange laser cannon listings which do not mesh well with known laser cannon batteries...

So if any of you know of, or have written any stuff on standardizing the weapons in R&E, I would love to see it.

Basically I would love to have a system which enables the user to "build" a weapon artillery battery, or add it to a starship or vehicle; which is consistent (mostly) across the board. While I don't think a vehicle/artillery/walker building system will be implemented, I would still like to keep these items as consistent as possible, so any suggestions would be welcome.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I may have responded to this elsewhere, but just so we have it out in the open so others can tell me if I've got something wrong..

There are some mentions of smaller scale proton weaponry. My first thought was that the R&E GM Screen Referred to this:

Quote:
Model: Bryn & Gweith Mounted MPTL 17
Type: Anti-vehicle torpedo launcher
Scale: Walker
Skill: Missile weapons: anti-vehicle
Crew: 4, skeleton: 2/+10
Ammo: 25
Cost: 18,000 (new), 9,000 (used)
Availability: R or X
Body: See mounting location
Fire Rate: 1/2
Fire Control: 2D+2
Range: 20-60/3/16 km
Damage: 9D
Source: Hideouts & Strongholds (page 62)

However, the scale and range are both different. This is one of the problems with the WEG stats. There are a lot of things that aren't entirely consistent. When I was doing my work with Force Powers, I would find that one book had the difficulty modified by proximity and relationship while another book required the characters to touch. With Place Another In Hibernation Trance it said you MUST be touching, and ALSO said the difficulty was modified by proximity.

Anyway, I don't see that there is a problem with having smaller scale Proton Torpedoes that use artillery skills. Just so long as it is clear that these are not the same as starfighter munitions.

And when you ask about installing smaller scale weaponry on a starship, do you mean something like the under-side swivel blaster mounted on the Falcon? Something that is obviously smaller scale for defense against ground forces?
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a thought on this which might help. There is another system, similar to D6 which has a weapon design system. The way it works is that weapons get a default damage rating based on thier mass and tech era. Then, it is adjusted for any special abilities or modifiers. For instance things like a bigger ammo capacity, longer range, area effect (i.e. explosions), would all take up some of the "space" in a weapon and end up reducing it's damage.

Frankly, I think with a little tweaking it could be adapted to D6 Star Wars, and probably help fix the damage scale and artillery. For instance the Atgar 1.4 has anemic damage, poor accuracy, is slow, and takes a small army to crew, but has a killer range, which would help explain it's game stats.

If we don't mind tweaking one or more existing bits of D6 data, such as the cost, we could probably use this to come up with a method of fixing the inconsistencies.

Am I making sense? Does this approach appeal to anyone else?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: