The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Please discuss the merits of the Attribute raising mechanics
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Please discuss the merits of the Attribute raising mechanics Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedFox wrote:

I don't see people with plastic legs or pacemakers going on murderous rampages because of their cyberware, so I'm inclined to believe that it doesn't really mess with people as much as RPGs would have us believe.

Really, one would think that there are better ways to balance cyber-ware than the usual "it taints your soul / makes you a sociopath!" cop-out.

I think the reason that RPGs have had this sort of rule is just to have a deterrant for getting them. IRL no one really wants to loose a limb. But I've had a munchkiny player attempt to loose a limb once or twice just so he could get a really cool cybornetic replacement. I've had to scare him off with appearances of less-than-desireable medical bays for him to swerve away from the idea. IRL no one would attempt to loose a leg to get something cool in its place. So, there has to be some sort of deterrant. As long as we're dealing with sci-fi and fantasy, why not use a separation from the soul?
worfbacca
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:38 am    Post subject: If they fail? Reply with quote

If they fail..then give them some sort of bonus. Make the training time and cp count. If they fail make it so next time whatever they roll at is a (-3) this counts as training ..and perhaps it will keep them trying for that goal. And yes..humans can get past 4D..look at Palpy..just takes work sometimes.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a lot of people seem to forget that when you raise your Attribute, it also raises all the skills and specialties under it. I think that is a great way to bunp everything up at once... And depending on the die code you have in the attrib and how many skills you have, it winds up being cheaper....

Case and point. A while ago, while in sparks, i had a Old republic scout template (2d+2 dex) who had 8 or so skills under dex. It would have cost me 32 cp (worked it out) to raise each skill 1 pip. While it only costs me 20 to raise the attribute which would also raise each skill.

And the dice off with the gm, only comes into play when you are trying to go over racial maximums.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: