The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Player character DE-advancing?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Player character DE-advancing? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe instead of losing the skill the character could get some sort of "rusty" rating? Kinda like a advanced skill, but it reduces the skill rating. The lower die code would make it cheap to buy off.

For example someone with 6D in blaster who hasn't used one for a long time might have as die code as high as 3D (or of you like a -3D ) in "Rusty"., reducing his skill to only 3D. When he decides to regain his lost form, it would be fairly easy to buy down the 3D, and it would get easier as he went along, much like in real life.

But, for the most part, I don't see a need for skill regression in this RPG.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:

But, for the most part, I don't see a need for skill regression in this RPG.

The only real time i could see pc's going a year or more without getting to use their skills, is if they were imprisoned for that length of time before getting the chance to be freed.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

That "Regaining atrophied skills" back quicker than when you initially gained them is a good point. But in an RPG how would that work? Less cost/time to re-raise them once you start back using them?

I have thought about this. What occurred to me was something like the following:

When a character's skill atrophies, a penalty is assessed, potentially reducing the skill all the way down to the attribute. Lets say, for example that a skill is reduced from 12D to 2D by atrophy. That is a 10D difference.

Based on my own experience, here is how I would handle it. The skill above would require training (not merely "use during the adventure," depending which skill it is. But for now, let's go with the blaster skill). The character would have to spend a number of CP's equal to the number of D lost. In this case, 10. Also, the chararacter can only train a few hours per day. Let's say 4 hours max. For every complete hour of training accomplished in the day, the xharacter may spend 1 CP toward bringing back his skill.
Each CP spent reatores 1D of skill. If training is interrupted, the character can still buy back whatever level of skill he was able to train for and continue training later.

In this case, it would take ten hours of training over 3 days to regain the full skill.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although some "skills" such as lifting or stamina may not work like this... I could see keeping the CP cost low, as above, but there would just be no way to get around the time requirement.

Perhaps for such skills it should take months instead of hours/days per CP spent.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Although some "skills" such as lifting or stamina may not work like this... I could see keeping the CP cost low, as above, but there would just be no way to get around the time requirement.

Perhaps for such skills it should take months instead of hours/days per CP spent.

Or base it on which skills are being used. I know from training, its often easier to 're-learn' hand-eye coordination and hands on skills (vehicle operation etc), than it may be to learn stuff more mental. So perhaps Dex and Str based skills that atrophy can be re-learned in days, while know/tech ones take weeks.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I think it will come down to the stylle of the campaign.

I tend to be the type who learns intellectually, rather than by "feel." I have to mentally understand what Im doing in order to really get good at something. My wife, on the other hand, needs to do it hands on to learn it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: