The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

EIII Alternate Ending
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> EIII Alternate Ending Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Palpatine killed Padme

I find this theory compelling. It's like my explanation, but Palpatine did it!

Y'know, I like this explanation...I enjoyed the prequels for the most part, the problem I had is that we had to wade through episode 1 to get to 2-3. I always felt like the whole relationship should have taken more of a Arthur/Guinevere/Lancelot feel with the Emperor turning anakin against obiwan by implying a relationship...but hey, that's just me.

Also, I thought they were going to go the route of her using a body double to fake her death and live out whatever life she had as an attendant to Leia on Alderan.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobmalooga wrote:
Whill wrote:
Palpatine killed Padme
I find this theory compelling. It's like my explanation, but Palpatine did it!

Y'know, I like this explanation...I enjoyed the prequels for the most part, the problem I had is that we had to wade through episode 1 to get to 2-3.

It's so interesting to me to hear about everyone's ranking of the episodes and criteria for episode worthiness. TPM is my 2nd favorite of the six films (after ANH of course), and AotC is my least favorite of the six movies. The love story is very unconvincing to me. IMO, Dooku is the least interesting main villain of the saga (even more so retroactively after he dies at the beginning of RotS). To me, AotC has the weakest climax of the saga (3 brief sequential scuffles between 3 Jedi and Dooku: first Obi-Wan, then Anakin, then Yoda). To me, AotC is the least standalone of the films - It just feels like it is there to connect A to C. So after the epic TPM, I felt like I had to wade through AotC to get to Episode III (my 3rd favorite film of the six). But to each his own.

Bobmalooga wrote:
I always felt like the whole relationship should have taken more of a Arthur/Guinevere/Lancelot feel with the Emperor turning anakin against obiwan by implying a relationship...but hey, that's just me.

I read at one stage of development the script of RotS did include the jealousy thing, and there are some vestiges of it in the final product like when Anakin asked Padme about Obi-Wan having been by her apartment to see her earlier that day ("What did he want?"). They ultimately cut it, but I don't know why. My only guess is that it was too unbelievable that Anakin would suspect Padme or Obi-Wan of disloyalty.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
It's so interesting to me to hear about everyone's ranking of the episodes and criteria for episode worthiness. TPM is my 2nd favorite of the six films (after ANH of course), and AotC is my least favorite of the six movies. The love story is very unconvincing to me. IMO, Dooku is the least interesting main villain of the saga (even more so retroactively after he dies at the beginning of RotS). To me, AotC has the weakest climax of the saga (3 brief sequential scuffles between 3 Jedi and Dooku: first Obi-Wan, then Anakin, then Yoda). To me, AotC is the least standalone of the films - It just feels like it is there to connect A to C. So after the epic TPM, I felt like I had to wade through AotC to get to Episode III (my 3rd favorite film of the six). But to each his own.

It was quite a waste of Christopher Plummer, IMO, who could have out-Cushinged Cushing if he had more to work with. And a better backstory; it sounded like he disappeared from the Jedi many years before AoTC, but then there was no good exposition of how he ended up a Sith. He could have been a cool character as an unknowing Sith/pawn of Sidious. It might have helped both AoTC and RotS had he provided a consistent presence through more of the final film, I think.

For me Grievous was the worst villain; he felt bolted-on to the plot (and I think he was, according to Secret History). And too many things didn't make sense for me with him. He cheapens lightsabers with his collection. Did the Techno Union make him? Sidious, as he practiced the cyborging that would lead to Vader eventually? I'm sure the novelization/DK books/first drafts of scripts explain everything, but his "kewl powers" and coming up out of nowhere to be the new bad guy was not a great script choice. Better to keep Dooku as the main bad guy and have Grievous as his running dog, sort of the scale of Boba Fett in the OT.

I found the TPM plot too convoluted and strained, but overall there were enough good performances (I mean, it takes some doing to produce a bad film with Liam Neeson, Ewen McGregor, Natalie Portman, Ian McDiarmid...) to make it watchable for me. For me it's a great demonstration of the Old Republic, corrupt senate, long distances, squabbles over nothing, etc.

AoTC for me was just a very, very loose connection of battle scenes. I realize Lucas wanted love scenes both to build the relationship between Anakin/Padme and to have a "complete movie" in the sense of the serials he loved. But those didn't have long boring love scenes. He could have cribbed Errol Flynn and Olivia deHavilland from "Captain Blood" and come a lot closer.

I think I "liked" (it really isn't a fun film to watch at all IMO) RotS the best of the three because it was a good story, because it was developed for Star Wars and refined over all those years. I sometimes think it might have been better to just compress TPM and AoTC into one film, with a real "Adventures of Obi-Wan" feel for the first film. See the Jedi do... whatever it is that made them guardians of peace in the galaxy, see some cool places in the Old Republic, and maybe see what made the Republic worth fighting for in the first place, and more lamenting as it fell in the final two movies.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting read. I especially found compelling the theory on Palpatine being involved in Padme's death.

Barrataria wrote:
It was quite a waste of Christopher Plummer, IMO, who could have out-Cushinged Cushing if he had more to work with.

I'm thinking you meant Christopher Lee, rather than Plummer.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
Interesting read. I especially found compelling the theory on Palpatine being involved in Padme's death.

Barrataria wrote:
It was quite a waste of Christopher Plummer, IMO, who could have out-Cushinged Cushing if he had more to work with.

I'm thinking you meant Christopher Lee, rather than Plummer.

I was just going to say that. I believe Christopher Plummer was Captain Von Trapp in "The Sound of Music..."
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hills are alive, with the sound of Star Wars...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plummer was also a Shakespeare-quoting Klingon in Star Trek V, for a little closer to home genre casting. Smile
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
Plummer was also a Shakespeare-quoting Klingon in Star Trek V, for a little closer to home genre casting. Smile

That he was!
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:

Star Trek VI actually. Star Trek V was an abomination.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
DougRed4 wrote:

Star Trek VI actually. Star Trek V was an abomination.

D'oh! Good call. I don't know why I typed V. Definitely VI: The Undiscovered Country.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, any fan of Plummer/Chang would do well to check out the Klingon Academy game, where he reprises the role in a series of FMV sequences (which, with a downloadable movie-viewer application, can also be watched by themselves if you don't feel like playing the excellent starship-sim game). As always, he is excellent.

Hard core OT, all the way!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaaaand then there's this...

Whill

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Aaaaaand then there's this...

That's really just a regurgitation of the the first 'Palpatine did it' page. But still cool though.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
That's really just a regurgitation of the the first 'Palpatine did it' page. But still cool though.

True. I think this one phrases it better, though. I like the idea of him draining Padme's life force to preserve Anakin's. We already have force powers in the game like Life Bond, Transfer Life and Drain Life Energy, so its not too unbelievable to say that Anakin had used the Life Bond power on Padme, and that connection was corrupted by Palpatine to drain her life force through the bond to sustain Anakin. Certainly makes him even more evil than simply killing her from a distance...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: