The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Cybernetics...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Cybernetics... Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xzil Maru
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Cybernetics... Reply with quote

I really like the idea that cybernetic replacement parts can cut off a characters connection to the Force, with that whole cyber point mechanic but I am very leery of corrupting a character with darkside points because of it.

Thoughts? Please discuss, I haven't ever even used cybertechology in a Starwars game before (well maybe once, but that was a template) would removing the darkside effects really harm the feel of a game in your humble opinons?

Especially what do you think about increasing the cyber point cost/value of the cyberware, which would make force powers harder to use but not really have an effect on non-jedi/non-force users?
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I think it's better to leave out the Dark Side and simply cut-off your connection with the Force. THis would be for upgrades (enhancements) not replacements that are "standard" to the creature getting the cyberware, as usual.

Instead, perhaps every time you'd normally get or regain a Force Point, you roll dice and possibly lose them instead. The more cyber points you get, the more likely it is that you don't get the Force Point?

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really have a problem with the system as it is. I've never spent much time on the Cyber-point thing... as it seemed like a waste of time. I always found that the darkside lure was much more interesting... because losing your character to the gamemaster because you've number crunched an easy way to make a vastly super-powered character. A lot scarier is the idea of having to fight a psychotic cybernetically enhanced villian in the future, just because it was the efficient thing to do... because in reality, the few thousand credits that it takes to overhaul one of your character's attributes is nothing in comparison to the hundreds of character points that you'd be spending...

Another idea, is rather than completely cutting off the force, you cut off their ability to sense it, to feel the force... Their thought process becomes more and more machine, and rather than sensing that their friend is scared, and fears for their life; the character simply senses the presence, and no matter how hard they try... they just can't grasp anything more. Also giving penalties to social rolls: Whether the character realizes it or not, he just doesn't react like he used to. Has a little more difficulty picking up on the subtlety of human emotion in social situations... Just thoughts, and rough ideas that you may want to work with.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Xzil Maru
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen anyone bother to try to abuse cyberware, their usually more concerned with making a scary force user or getting lots of guns. Besides there is the whole problem of being treated as a second class citizen that both infuriates, and disturbs most players. EDIT in fact with the exception of one character I've made, I've never even seen a player in any game want cyber-replacements, my usual group doesn't see the appeal (and they usually don't know the rules too well either).

Taking the a character away is about the least fun thing I've ever done in an RPG. Besides which the player just got really annoyed, then built basically a more munchkinized verision of the character which I then didn't allow, and then wanted to play a darksider. And we ended up not playing Starwars for about a year (which was long enough for him to forget the incident).
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That player doesn't count. Ever. For a lot of things.

I've never honestly wanted cyberware because I generally find it boring. So you're making yourself into a fully decked-out wardroid... Why? It doesn't feel like Star Wars. Even Boba Fett uses neat armor addons and tools rather than cyberware rigs.

The only time I'd consider cyberware is if I had an injury where a limb got chopped off. And then I'd only want a replacement, not an enhancement.

I guess cyberware's always seemed a bit cheesy to me... Pay credits to enhance your Attributes! Bleh.

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea Cybernetics make an on-again-off-again appearence in our game. I sometimes maim, rather than kill, characters the group likes. This maiming sometimes requires cybernetics to fix, so they become woven into the characer's story.

I require both the credits and character points be spent if the skills or attributes are raised (& usually an adventure to find a cybersurgeon). I didn't see anything in the rules that says cybercharacters don't have to pay character points to raise these.

Now if that requires the character to operate maimed for a few missions in order to aquire the character points needed...er...I mean to find a black market cybersurgeon, that's OK. They'll appreciate the upgrade all the more when they get it.
EmpernizzlePalpanizzle
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally I like to use the cybernetics in game as it adds a more gritty cyberpunk feel. i use mostly cyberware from shadowrun for inspiration.
Firehawk0220
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had a player really try and go for it. Typically in my games they are used as replacements for when limbs get blown off or cut off.

Occasionally I've had players who chose to have a replacement arm or something in exchange for enhancing a skill or another attribute at the time of creation.

So if they wanted to boost some stat that rolled up really weak, I'll let them do it as a flaw, like in the Vampire system where you can take merrits and flaws to not only flesh out your character some more, but customize it and compensate for weak stats.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not like the "double dark side points" for cybered characters rule so I don't use it. Instead, I use cyberpoints to measure the lack of humanity in a character. If such a character attempts to use the force, I secretly roll a D6; if the number rolled is less than the number of cyberpoints the character has the force does not recognize him as alive and his force use fails.
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volar the Healer wrote:
I do not like the "double dark side points" for cybered characters rule so I don't use it. Instead, I use cyberpoints to measure the lack of humanity in a character. If such a character attempts to use the force, I secretly roll a D6; if the number rolled is less than the number of cyberpoints the character has the force does not recognize him as alive and his force use fails.

Wow, if I were in your game, I'd try to assassinate Darth Vader. I bet he's a pushover! :D

I have Star Wars stuff!
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With an average of 12D in all his skills, he doesn't need force points. I've never had a player character (or group of characters) who could challenge him (and his stormtrooper body guard, who all know you're coming because the Emperor foresaw it, etc)...
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a question- in a universe with Bacta and advanced medicine, when do you consider an injury 'irreparable' or in need of cyborging, vs healable (or in the case of a limb, re-attachable)?

Hard core OT, all the way!
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarm R'keeg wrote:
Here's a question- in a universe with Bacta and advanced medicine, when do you consider an injury 'irreparable' or in need of cyborging, vs healable (or in the case of a limb, re-attachable)?
I say if it's the result of 16+ damage sustained.

Complete Starship Construction System
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But can you have a limb amputation without 16+ damage sustained? I mean, is it possible for, say, a lightsaber or sword to sever, hit a limb, get a 16+ damage and excise it clean off- but the limb to be retrieved and rushed bacta treatment allow for a re-attaching? Or is any severing that has 16+ power an automatic can-only-be-replaced-by-cybernetic-even-if-you-have-the-limb? That was my question. If so, I've done right by my Ton hanan-esque deceased PC... if not... well, I ought to have fair rules in place for the future. Smile

Hard core OT, all the way!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volar the Healer wrote:

So if say a NFS character decided to spend a force point, and had 3CBP, if you roll and it came up a 2, he can't spend the FP? Or does it get spent, and gives him no benefit from it being spent??

Quote:

Dead or more from a shot to the limb, or a maim result.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: