The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Better CP systems?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Better CP systems? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:23 am    Post subject: Better CP systems? Reply with quote

Anyone got ideas for other ways for CP to be awarded?

The current CP system does not work in my games because I do not run an adventure timeline style of game.

I'd also like it to be a system where I can award CP after each session or at least after specific actions happen.

As always, I appreciate any help ahead of time.

Thanks,
~Tet
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a low to moderate CP game, usually.

I tend to give 2 CP for showing up for a session, 1 CP if you do something that highlights your character, and perhaps 1 CP for achieving certain goals.

So I'm usually at 2-4 CP per session, which means that every couple of sessions a character can usually increase a skill or two by one pip.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I've done is awarded CP per playing time.

Base Award: 2 CP (typically 1 CP per 2 hours)

Modfiers:
x2 if the PCs complete a mission during this play session
x1/4 if the botched a mission during this play session
Role playing: +/-50% increase/reduction for good/bad roleplaying.

You can easily adjust the rate that character earn CP by changing the time required to get a CP. 1 per 3 or 4 hours would slow down the progression.
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Better CP systems? Reply with quote

tetsuoh wrote:
Anyone got ideas for other ways for CP to be awarded?

The current CP system does not work in my games because I do not run an adventure timeline style of game.

I'd also like it to be a system where I can award CP after each session or at least after specific actions happen.

I don't really see any harm in awarding CP after each session. It's more important to keep your players motivated than worry about whether you're "playing wrong".

Awarding after "specific actions happen" is good in that you won't forget to do it later, but I've found sometimes that it can encourage a little too much Pavlov-dogging by players to try to get CP (specifically, XP in D&D) for the sake of getting CP. I don't generally do that any more in any game.

That said, I would encourage you to be clear with yourself and your players what they can do with those CP during an adventure if you're awarding as you go in either fashion. If you don't demand that they train for skills or find a teacher or whatever, you may have them improving abilities during the game and I suppose that might mess up prepared encounters.
Random_Axe
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In both of my campaigns I am running now, I give out 2 CP per session, as a standard. This allows the players a guaranteed source of CPs that come back after having to spend some of them on die rolls during a session. The 2 CPs are only given to the players who are actually present that session.

One of the playing groups is pretty large (6 players plus me the GM) so I warned them that anyone who missed a session missed out on the 2-CP nightly reward; in the other smaller group this won't be an issue since we won't be playing if we aren't all gathering.

Then at the end of the adventure/storyline (which may take a few or even several sessions) I will give out the final reward of 6-10 CP's. For instance, last night we ended a 3-session adventure (which relatively speaking had a limited storyline) and gave out a story award of 6 CPs. Which came to a total of 10 CPs rewarded over the course of the story.

If I am running a major storyline, the final reward may look like 10-12 CPs. All other rules bout spending CPs on rolls or bumping skills apply normally.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Better CP systems? Reply with quote

tetsuoh wrote:

Embarassed Forgive my slowness this morning, but I don't think I understand what you mean by this part of your question? What is an "adventure timeline" style of game and how does your style of game differ? Thanks.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he means he isn't running "mission-centric" adventures, meaning there isn't always a specific goal to the adventure that the players are expected to try an accomplish.
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

correct, my games are presented more as "this is my life and my choices" style.

With no downtime unless the characters take the downtime, which usually occurs during hyperspace travel or because they literally take a vacation.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks. I agree with the others that giving CPs per game session would probably be best.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not go with
2cp showing up and playing
+1cp for enjoying themselves
+1cp for a great comment/idea/comical moment
+1cp if they hit a mission objective for "That storyline" they are on..
So 3cp base, 5cp max for a game session.
DarthOmega
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to be starting up my Star Wars game again here soon, and I was re-reading the rules to re-familiarize myself with them again, and came up with a question along the topic, so figured I'd post here rather than litter the forum with another thread (hope that's okay).

As a note, I will be running a similar type game as tetsuoh (I call them 'sandbox' games rather than 'story driven' or 'objective based' games).

So my question is if there is little to no downtime for a long stretch of time, how can anyone get any of that required training done? And even better, what is a character to do when he has a very long stretch of time required for training? For example I was reading that an attribute takes a week per character point to raise? That's quite a lot of time! Raising from 2D+2 to 3D will take twenty weeks (using the example in the book), that's almost half a year! And that's with a teacher. Of course you could spend an additional 133 CP to reduce the time down to a week(at 1 CP per day reduced), but seriously who is EVER going to have enough CP to do that?

I know raising an attribute is the most extreme case and that they are supposed to be difficult to raise, but that amount of time seems... well extreme to me. Does anyone house rule the training times at all or even hand-wave them altogether?

Read my gaming blog at www.alteredrealities.net - click on the tabs near the top for the different pages that usually have character bios and other info.
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthOmega wrote:
I know raising an attribute is the most extreme case and that they are supposed to be difficult to raise, but that amount of time seems... well extreme to me. Does anyone house rule the training times at all or even hand-wave them altogether?

Yeah, with the exception of Force skills (in a post-Order 66 era before the universe is lousy with Jedi again), I worry more about controlling skill bloat with CP awards (and game situations requiring the PCs to burn them) than training times. I normally assume some downtime between adventures, just like the films do. But a long-term military or merc campaign is a good example where that might be irrelevant. Rebellion too I guess... what safe, secret base do the Rebels repair to for their 30 week training?
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with many of the others, award CP after each game session. I don't pile on the CPs like many others do, however... it makes the CP economy something that players have to actually think about, rather than just using them at the drop of a hat.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my players are in training at this very moment.

The force wielder who started as a zeltron force tradition of "companion" (think firefly) is now starting his attendance at the jedi temple.

The pilot/mechanic is working on the ship along with the droid.

But you see I interject story into the training on numerous occassions - now a few days or even weeks may pass in my game - but normally I describe the comings and goings of that training, and my pc's actually like it.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthOmega wrote:

So my question is if there is little to no downtime for a long stretch of time, how can anyone get any of that required training done? And even better, what is a character to do when he has a very long stretch of time required for training? For example I was reading that an attribute takes a week per character point to raise? That's quite a lot of time! Raising from 2D+2 to 3D will take twenty weeks (using the example in the book), that's almost half a year! And that's with a teacher. Of course you could spend an additional 133 CP to reduce the time down to a week(at 1 CP per day reduced), but seriously who is EVER going to have enough CP to do that?

Just look in the book, page 34
Training Time. If the character used a skill or
specialization in the last adventure, there is no "training
time" requirement. The character can just spend
the Character Points and the skill improves one pip.
If the character didn 't use the skill or specialization
in the last adventure, the character must spend time
training. If the character has a "teacher" (see below),
the training time is one day for every Character Point
spent to improve the skill. If the character doesn't
have a teacher and is training on his own, the training
time is two days for every Character Point spent to
improve the skill.

So as long as they have actively used that skill in the course of the preceding session, it has no training time to raise it. If they DON'T use it, then the training time kicks in.
BUT i often see as a HR, Dms saying that the skill must be used in Ernest, not just 'wishy washy' to count, to avoid players gaming the system.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: