The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Recommended Books For Starting Out?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Recommended Books For Starting Out?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galahad_Skywalker
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Recommended Books For Starting Out? Reply with quote

I really hate to start a topic with my first post, but I'm looking to get started in running the game, and while I have the 2nd Edition rulebook coming in the mail, I'm curious as to which sourcebooks and other supplementals I should get, if it's possible to get them. Quite frankly, there's a vast amount of material out there, and it's really daunting to wade through it, so any recommendations any of you can give me for helpful supplementary material would be much appreciated!
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Main Rulebook (Duh, you're already getting it)

The Star Wars Sourcebook (Not a "MUST BUY", but has a lot of good stuff in it)

Imperial Sourcebook (Lots of good info on the Empire and it's organization, equipment, etc. Not so important if you're running a Old Republic-Era Game)

Rebel Alliance Sourcebook (See above)

Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighters (MUST BUY, but good luck finding. I'd suggest hunting for a PDF of it instead. But you might luck out.)

Cracken's Rebel Field Guide (1st Edition only, but lots of good stuff that wasn't duplicated!)

Cynabar's Fantastic Technology: Droids (For all your Droid needs! My group swears by it. Well, except for our GM, who swears at it.)

Pirates and Privateers (For all your Tramp Freighter needs! And a few other odds and ends. "MUST BUY"!)

Cracken's Threat Dossier (If you're going to run a game in the New Republic, this has some good stuff)

Platt's Smuggler's Guide (Good for the Smugglers that are so close to all our hearts.)

Gundark's Fantastic Technology: Personal Gear (GUNS GUNS GUNS GUNS GUNS GUNS!!!)

That's what I would suggest as "First Purchases", and get what you need in the order that your group would like (Mine, for example, would have loved to have had Gundark's as one of our first purchases), and those are just my personal choices.

If you have any more questions, don't worry, we don't bite. Well, the Rancor does, but if you get close to him, you deserve to get a cyborg arm. Wink
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, my order of first purchase would be this:

1. Star Wars 2nd Edition Revised & Expanded (It's simply the most complete version of the rules, IMO. Though YMMV.)
  2. Cynabar's Fantastic Technology: Droids (The corebook simply doesn't have adequit enough material to use droids as characters. This book fills in the gaps and then some.)
  3. Imperial Sourcebook (If you're running anything except an Old Republic game, this is a must for antagonists and the like. Beware though, it doesn't have stats on starfighters.)
  4. Rebel Alliance Sourcebook (Not only good for Rebel Alliance and New Republic stuff, it also has some good information on insurrectionist tactics and stuff. Though not as much as the specforce book.)
  5. Pirates & Privateers (this book has TONS of stock light freighters for your party to choose from. It's like a shopping list of ships. Plus, it has some nice space combat / boarding / etc. rules that tack-on to the main game very well.)
  6. Galaxy Guide 06: Tramp Freighters (as Ray said... it's an awesome book but you're probably not going to be able to buy it. It has all the rules for modifying and upgrading tramp freighters, as well as a very cool little campaign setting in the Minos cluster.)
  7. Rules of Engagement - The Rebel SpecForce Handbook (A personal favorite of mine. I think if you want to run special operations type games... which a lot of PC groups default to, as they want to play rebels! Then you need this book. It has a wealth of gameable information on the subject.)
  8. Gundark's Fantastic Technology: Personal Gear, Cracken's Rebel Field Guide, Galladinium's Fantastic Technology: GAGFAO (these are the shopping catalog books. Depending on how much your PCs love shopping for stuff, they may have a higher priority. The Field Guide has jury-rigging rules and cyberware as well, stuff that isn't duplicated in later edition books. Gundark's is probably the superior shopping catalog, while Galladinium's will fill in any gaps and should probably be purchased last.)

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Galahad_Skywalker
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, the Rancor does, but if you get close to him, you deserve to get a cyborg arm. Wink

Well, that's good news. Smile

Thanks for ideas on where to start. I think for awhile, my players are all going to be less obsessed with the Star Wars universe than I am, so I'm going to be watching for good deals and buying ones that appeal to my own tastes, but at least I know where I can find various information in the sourcebooks. It's always good to know where to look. While I have been able to find a lot of these by searching on Amazon for used books (that's where I ordered my rulebook), I simply don't have the money for some of the harder-to-find ones, so I'll have to hunt down the PDFs. I think tracking these books down is going to prove to be an adventure in itself... Smile
Esjs
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recommended list (as well as my library) is small. The greatest thing about Star Wars D6 is that for beginners, you can just get away with the core book (2nd Ed. R&E), it really has most of what you'll need for a good game.

Nonetheless, here are my MUST HAVE books, plus some:
    Star Wars 2nd Edition Revised & Expanded - Should go without saying.
    Heroes & Rogues - More character templates! Also great character development ideas. RARE.
    Trilogy Sourcebook: Special Edition - Great info for just about everything seen in the original trilogy special edition.
    Tales of the Jedi Companion - I use this book as my single source for Force powers.
    Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighters - For reasons already mentioned.

Good hunting...
Galahad_Skywalker
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to see a pattern here, I think...

One way or another, I'm going to have to track down Tramp Freighters...

One thing I was wondering about is the material for the Thrawn Trilogy. Is any of it any good? I'm largely wanting it for info on Mara Jade, my favorite EU character, but I don't know whether to track down the harder to find Trilogy Sourcebook, or just buy one of the single versions, which I've been able to find with ease on Amazon.
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Thrawn Trilogy book, and find it more useful the the main rule book. It has a bunch of aliens in it, all the Imperial and Republic ships and vehicles you could need, plus stats for your favouriet EU characters.

This and the main book is all you should need to start with, but definately get Tramp if you can find it (always need more ships).

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's ships you want, then I can send you a personal project of mine, the "Starships Stats" book I made. 255 pages with all the ships with stats, images and sometimes deckplans...
Just hit the PDF-sharing thread.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestions..
1) main rule book (revised and expanded IMO is better than straight 2nd ed)
2) imperial source book. If for nothing more than the order of battles and the expanded list of imperial ships to use.
3) rebel source book.... same as imperial, plus additional information on rebel cells and such.
4) tales from the jedi sourcebook. This is great, for your jedi and other force users.
5) GG6, Tramp freighters.
6) GG4 aliens #1.
7) GG11, aliens #2
8) Alien encounters. Alien book 3. All these 3 are chockablock full of aliens to play, like the verpine, slustians, Ishi-tib etc. SOme are reprints from the main book, but with expanded information.
9) Rules of engagements. Even if you don't do spec force missions, it is great for information on the other imperials, such as coursucant guard, scouts, zero G troopers etc.
10) Gundarks, for lots of cool new equipment
11) Galadiniums. Same as gundarks, but not so weapon/armor oriented.
12) Cyndabars droids...
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think by now, he is long past having decided what order to buy books in, and which books are needed. After all, the thread is 4 months old. He has probably started purchasing books by now, and possibly has aquired many (maybe he's the one who won that TotJ auction against me last month).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: