The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New Galaxy Map
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> New Galaxy Map Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meriba
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks anyway Mikael Wink and to everyone who encourage me!

New update of the Galaxy Map:

All major planets included
Calamari detail
Sith Space detail
Hutt Space detail
Tion Cluster detail
Some (not all) secondary hyperlanes included

I've found this galaxy map with inner regions sectors. I don't know if it is cannon or not (positions and sizes), but is good looking. Any thoughts? Would you include this data?

Cheers!
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meriba wrote:
I've found this galaxy map with inner regions sectors. I don't know if it is cannon or not (positions and sizes), but is good looking.

It is definitely not new story book canon or EU/Legends canon (the latter being what I believe you were referring to). It was created for use of that SW online game.

Meriba wrote:
Any thoughts?

For the millennium leading up to the films, there were 1024 sectors in the Republic. It was established in EU/Legends that Palpatine actually divided some of those sectors up, thus creating more total sectors. If you add up the total sectors we have from the outer galactic regions which have had their sectors established and mapped out, that leaves a whole lot more sectors for the inner regions to add up to the over 1000 sectors total. What that also means is that the sectors have to become a lot smaller as you go inwards. The inner galaxy is more dense with stars and potential planetary systems, so sectors could be smaller but still have a similar populations.

What that practically means for your map is, you would have to have hundreds of relatively teeny tiny sectors with an incredible amount of zoom and detail to map it out and read it all, to just make a plausible map. I think this is why the Essential Atlas team or even Modi on his own have never bothered even trying to map out the inner galactic regions with sector borders.

Meriba wrote:
Would you include this data?

Me personally, no I would not. With respect to the EU/Legends SW galaxy, those far too few inner "sectors" could at most be fan-speculated regions of sectors, a designation which seem pointless outside of SW Combine anyway.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UNLESS, the sectors as you approach the galactic central bulge are three-dimensional, and are therefore the same (rough) size as the mid-rim and outer rim sectors, but are stacked 3,5,10 deep in the Z-axis.

I know - makes sense logistically, but it's a nightmare cartographically.

Personally? I'd be ok keeping sectors the same basic size and ignoring the 1024 figure. If I had to choose between the two I'd much rather have named sectors than canonic adherence to an offhand figure.

Also, keep at it! Awesome work!
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mojomoe wrote:
UNLESS, the sectors as you approach the galactic central bulge are three-dimensional, and are therefore the same (rough) size as the mid-rim and outer rim sectors, but are stacked 3,5,10 deep in the Z-axis.

I know - makes sense logistically, but it's a nightmare cartographically.

That's personally the way I imagine the inner regions sectors, and I have no need to map it all out. (Knowing where the important planets are, and the names of their sectors, is good enough for me.) But 3D stacks of sectors does not seem to be what the Combine map is representing (you would need layers and layers of maps), and as you said, it would be a cartographical nightmare. By Meriba asking if that simple map is official, it seems clear he was hoping for a simple solution.

By him asking about officialness, I went into official mode in my initial reply. When I was e-mailing back and forth with Jason Fry (project leader of the essential atlas) about a couple of errors I noticed in the book, I had suggested 3D solutions, and for some reason he was adamantly opposed to any 3D solutions. At least the hyperroutes and sector-mapped portions of the galaxy had to be representable on a 2D page. My only guess was because that is the medium they are presented in the book and the online supplements.

So I personally keep in mind that the galaxy is 3D, including even the relatively "thinner" outer regions. For my personal SWU, I pretty much accept the essential atlas as-is, but I view them as approximations - The sectors technically overlap each other from the galactic up looking galactic down perspective due to the borders not being completely vertical along the z-axis.

Mojomoe wrote:
Personally? I'd be ok keeping sectors the same basic size and ignoring the 1024 figure. If I had to choose between the two I'd much rather have named sectors than canonic adherence to an offhand figure.

I'm not particularly married to that exact number, but replacing it with the drastically lower number of sectors represented in the Combine map drastically alters the galaxy politically as well, at least before the Imperial Senate is disbanded. Each sector has exactly 1 Senator representing it in the Republic/Imperial Senate. A dramatically lower number of sectors in the inner regions would seem to upset the political balance between the inner and outer regions, which was really at the heart of the Palpatine's rise to power and the Clone Wars. If that's important to you. If not, then ignore it. I personally like the idea of 1,000 sectors, with a lot more smaller, more compact inner regions sectors (and corresponding Senators).

Mojomoe wrote:
Also, keep at it! Awesome work!

Indeed! Meriba, I ultimately suggest you make the map you want for your purposes for your SWU, and we thank you for sharing your work.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy!

This galaxy map is an incredibly useful tool. Out of curiosity, I'm assuming you're doing this in either Photoshop or Illustrator - do you have a source file you could privately share? Anything with the text in editable layers would be fantastically helpful - I've been wanting to add systems to the official map, but I can't find the time to type in the 1,000+ systems you've already added!
Meriba
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm alive!!! Razz

Yes, I'm using Illustrator, but I prefer to finish it (at least the official part) before sharing the source files. I'm still working on it despite my daily agenda.

Work in progress:
- Secondary hyperlanes
- Simplified Hapes Cluster? (optional)
- Map Key (Yellow planets -coreward planets-, Blue Planets -rimward planets-, Dark Blue Planets -Ion cluster-, Red Planets -Major specie homeworld-, Green Planets -Hutt space-, Violet Planets -Sith space-, Major Hyperlanes -colored lines-, Secondary Hyperlanes -gray thin lines-. Any suggestions for more data?)

Thanks for your help and patience
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This map is more and more awesome.

If you had made this four years ago, I probably would have stolen it for my Nav Computer's 'Select System' pages.

It sounds like the projects you're working on - secondary hyperlanes and the Hapes Cluster - are indeed priority projects. Will the Minos Cluster and the Elrood sector get coverage afterwards?

I'm enthused that you're doing this in Illustrator. While, as Mojomoe knows, I have not mastered that program yet, I very much intend to do so at some point. Also, it will be invaluable for clean scaling!

Regarding the master file (and understanding my Illustrator illiteracy), will the legend colors of the hyperlanes and system dots be changeable according to selected criteria? For example, you color them depending on factionalism, proximity to the core, and major species origin. Will portraying other characteristics be possible, with layers for example?

Regarding the sectors debate, I agree with Whill - more tightly-packed sectors in the coreward and keeping it 2D. I'm also starting to lose hope that Fry/Wallace/Modi will bring us sector maps for the inner areas of the galaxy. Hell, I was a bit in despair that the Essential Atlas would be tossed out altogether with the Star Wars galaxy now being owned by Disney and them not feeling the imperative to respect what came before. (That said, it's clear that James Luceno really drew from the Essential Atlas in Tarkin, so that gives me some hope.)
Meriba
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New update!

I'm working on the following improvements (Bold points an included section):
  • Secondary hyperlanes (yes, I'm still working on these... it never ends Razz)
  • Arkanis Sector
  • The Centrality
  • Chiss Ascendacy
  • Corporate Sector
  • Elrood Sector (too small for scale it in my map -see map attached)
  • Gordian Reach
  • Greater Javin
  • Hapes Cluster (too small for scale it)
  • Hutt Space
  • Kashyyyk & neighbors
  • Kessel Run
  • Minos Cluster (fanmap I found in this forum don't match)
  • Modell Sector (too small for scale it)
  • Mon Calamari Space
  • Outbound Flight Route
  • Pentastar Alignment
  • Senex & Juvex Sectors (too small for scale it)
  • Sisar Run (The Periphery) (too small for scale it)
  • Sith Worlds
  • Tapani Sector (too small for scale it)
  • Tion Cluster
  • The Conquests of Xim the Despot

Inkscape is a free alternative to vector graphics instead of Illustrator.

Regarding Illustrator layers, it functions like a transparency notebook: you can create whatever you want to show and select or unselect this new layer whenever you want (even in a pdf format; however, with more details and layers added, the file will be bigger -my Illustrator file has 120 mb).

The sectors' debate... I agree with you, and because of that, I'm not including inner area sectors to keep it the most official I can. I don't understand the phobia to map, in an official way, the whole galaxy with all its sectors. This would be only a division in a particular moment of its history and wouldn't ruin the options of create new planets, systems, and sectors whenever we want (writers and fans). Tha galaxy is descomunal enough to do it.

Thanks for the encouraging words, I really appreciate your kindness.
See you soon! Very Happy
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meriba wrote:
New update!

I'm working on the following improvements (Bold points an included section):
  • Secondary hyperlanes (yes, I'm still working on these... it never ends Razz)
  • Arkanis Sector
  • The Centrality
  • Chiss Ascendacy
  • Corporate Sector
  • Elrood Sector (too small for scale it in my map -see map attached)
  • Gordian Reach
  • Greater Javin
  • Hapes Cluster (too small for scale it)
  • Hutt Space
  • Kashyyyk & neighbors
  • Kessel Run
  • Minos Cluster (fanmap I found in this forum don't match)
  • Modell Sector (too small for scale it)
  • Mon Calamari Space
  • Outbound Flight Route
  • Pentastar Alignment
  • Senex & Juvex Sectors (too small for scale it)
  • Sisar Run (The Periphery) (too small for scale it)
  • Sith Worlds
  • Tapani Sector (too small for scale it)
  • Tion Cluster
  • The Conquests of Xim the Despot

Awesome!

Meriba wrote:
The sectors' debate... I agree with you, and because of that, I'm not including inner area sectors to keep it the most official I can. I don't understand the phobia to map, in an official way, the whole galaxy with all its sectors. This would be only a division in a particular moment of its history and wouldn't ruin the options of create new planets, systems, and sectors whenever we want (writers and fans). Tha galaxy is descomunal enough to do it.

You would think, and I personally do agree. But tying things down too much is viewed as limiting creativity by publishers who lack confidence (and ability) to maintain continuity, so they eschew definitive maps and such. We only got the Essential Atlas when the EU had become very full of planets or sectors, and in the new canon they are operating the same as when the EU was new - keeping everything as vague as possible to avoid continuity failures.

So that leaves superfans like you to step up and do what you can with what we have to work with.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed.

Personally, I'd like to see a complete list of sectors. Because **** it, that's why - it would be cool to have. Whether it matches 100% continuity is less important than it being incomplete, for me and my universe.
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey out of curiosity, any progress on this? It would be a super useful tool to have!
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mojomoe wrote:
Hey out of curiosity, any progress on this? It would be a super useful tool to have!

Hey Mojomoe, sorta my thoughts when I ask the creator of GG16 about when the edited version will be made available as well as a print version with covers ... oh wait ... uh ... this is awkward ...
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, point taken!

Yeah, it's taking longer than I thought to get out all the edits. It'll be worth it though! I personally can't wait to have a nice fat printed copy.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mojomoe wrote:
Haha, point taken!

Yeah, it's taking longer than I thought to get out all the edits. It'll be worth it though! I personally can't wait to have a nice fat printed copy.

Me either. I have a number of projects to print off and this is one of them =) Hey gonna toss on a REUP or WRP logo on it? Of course all we have done is talk about it on the podcast and maybe suggest some edits.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the offer! I think for now I'm going to keep trucking under my own banner, but I certainly appreciate the community support in getting the book in shape. V2 is gonna have a lot more special thanks in the credits!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: