The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

shard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> shard Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: shard Reply with quote

Have a Sith sword with a shard in the hilt of the sword. The shard is Sith trained and will try to take over anyone whom picks up the sword. Twisted Evil
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has possibilities. An evil Shard? I'd love to hear that back story...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the big thing about a Shard is it cannot move and can only communicate through mechanical means or by hacking a communications system. Now, using the Force to affect things/people does not require movement, vocal components or even the ability to communicate with your target. So this could work but it stinks to high heaven of D&D 1E.

You will want to create the Shard as a character, along with skill picks,Force powers and so on. I look forward to what you create.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps any issues that would normally be a problem for a shard in this case could be done away with by means of Sith alchemy. Not that I'm an expert on such things, but I'd imagine a suitable explanation could be had via that route.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
Perhaps any issues that would normally be a problem for a shard in this case could be done away with by means of Sith alchemy. Not that I'm an expert on such things, but I'd imagine a suitable explanation could be had via that route.

Again the Shard does not need to communicate or move to use Force powers. It can certainly to Affect Mind and so on. Not an issue at within current RAW.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, I was thinking of the concept, looks like it has some merit. If I was to make it I would post it to characters as a npc.

I had also thought about a Sith or Dark Jedi using a shard as a crystal for his lightsaber. I dropped the idea as it would probably kill the shard. It would still be interesting evilness but not the same.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Again the Shard does not need to communicate or move to use Force powers. It can certainly to Affect Mind and so on. Not an issue at within current RAW.

I get that. However, I'm also not an expert on the rules, nor on Shards. That's why I made my suggestion. If there were people out there who would start supplying reasons why that wouldn't work, I figured I had a fairly foolproof method for explaining it (besides the GM simply saying, "It's MY game, so it's MY rules.")
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savar wrote:
Lol, I was thinking of the concept, looks like it has some merit. If I was to make it I would post it to characters as a npc.

I agree. Be interesting to see the power struggles between the Sith and the Shard. Problem I see is how does the Shard benefit the Sith? He cannot force the Shard to do anything. The Shard could not be as strong or stronger than the Sith otherwise he couldn't dominate it.

Now perhaps it is the Shard that is the powerful and controlling one and the sword weilder is the one being dominated? Perhaps using the living person as a surrogate droid. This could have benefits. There are rule mechanics that say that the addition of cybernetics lowers a persons ability to access and control the Force. It seems logical to suggest using a droid housing would be the same as having a ton of cybernetics and would limit a Shards ability with the Force. If this is the case then their would be make sense to mentally dominate a living being.

Quote:
I had also thought about a Sith or Dark Jedi using a shard as a crystal for his lightsaber. I dropped the idea as it would probably kill the shard. It would still be interesting evilness but not the same.

I am not sure how this would work. I would think this could possibily cause great pain for the Shard. Though maybe not at all since its a crystal and chanelling energy. If it does cause pain for the Shard this would be very evil thing to do. Something I could see a Sith doing though. What arises from this though is what is the added benefit is using the Shard. If there is no benefit then why do it?
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, Sith alchemy could explain why the Sith and the Shard are working together...perhaps some ritual that binds the two together could be responsible.

Also, does a Shard truly feel pain? If not, then it's a non-issue. If so, then that would be another possible explanation for why the Shard is acting as it is; after all, the Sith use their emotions, especially the negative ones, to fuel their connection to the dark side. It would be in character for the Sith to do, to cause pain to another. Perhaps the pain caused to the Shard to turn to the dark side as well, and somehow the two have forged a twisted partnership.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
I get that. However, I'm also not an expert on the rules, nor on Shards.

As near as I can tell, Shards were introduced to allow droids to have Force powers. Since Shards out and about in the galaxy are commonly found in droid bodies that they utilize for locomotion, but are themselves living beings, the combination of the two allows you to build a droid body, but make it Force Sensitive, too.

The theory that comes to my mind is a Sith capturing a Shard and torturing it through obscure means before forcibly melding it to a Sith Sword. The Shard in question would already be cut off from Shard society by being removed from the crystal formations that make up Shard communities, and would further be unable to move or interact with other living beings, as it lacks a usable body. The Shard desires, above all else to return to Orax and be reunited with his people, and is desperate enough to use any means necessary (including manipulating living beings) in his attempts to find his way back.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
Again, Sith alchemy could explain why the Sith and the Shard are working together...perhaps some ritual that binds the two together could be responsible.

Also, does a Shard truly feel pain? If not, then it's a non-issue. If so, then that would be another possible explanation for why the Shard is acting as it is; after all, the Sith use their emotions, especially the negative ones, to fuel their connection to the dark side. It would be in character for the Sith to do, to cause pain to another. Perhaps the pain caused to the Shard to turn to the dark side as well, and somehow the two have forged a twisted partnership.

You also have to factor in that Shards are about 30-40 centimeters in length (12-16 inches, or thereabouts). A Shard incorporated into a sword would likely have to be the core of the sword's grip for this to work.

Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would certainly be an interesting plot hook; whomever finds the sword could then be constantly fighting a compulsion to return the sword to Orax. Anything that interferes with the character's ability to perform this task gets attacked by the character, unless the character is makes a save with Willpower.
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
That would certainly be an interesting plot hook; whomever finds the sword could then be constantly fighting a compulsion to return the sword to Orax. Anything that interferes with the character's ability to perform this task gets attacked by the character, unless the character is makes a save with Willpower.

This... is a really awesome idea. I may use it, if you have no objections.

Hard core OT, all the way!
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My original idea was for the sword be the recurring bad guy. Add the sword keeps finding a new pawn. That the characters would keep defeating the pawns thinking that the pawn was the evil one not that the sword was controlling. I also like Jedi Skyler's idea!
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savar wrote:
My original idea was for the sword be the recurring bad guy. Add the sword keeps finding a new pawn. That the characters would keep defeating the pawns thinking that the pawn was the evil one not that the sword was controlling. I also like Jedi Skyler's idea!

Well in that case, give the Shard some dice in Control, Alter and Sense. At the very least give it the Force powers: Affect Mind (REUP p.169) and Control Mind (REUP p.170)

Maybe:

Force Skills: Control 7D, Alter 8D, Sense 6D+1

Force Powers:
C+S+A: Affect Mind, Control Mind
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: