The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Simple name change
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Simple name change
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:16 am    Post subject: Simple name change Reply with quote

Early on in my WEG Star Wars gaming I decided on a simple yet far-reaching change.

I didn't like the Mechanical attribute. It confused me...it confused my players. It was counter-intuitive;

It's 'Mechanical Aptitude' and represents "How well your character can pilot vehicles and starships and operate the various systems on board."

But it also represents "how well the character handles live mounts..."

When you take your car to get fixed, you take it to a mechanic.

Thus when it came to build and repair type skills it was easy to confuse the issue by trying to link it to the Mechanical attribute.

Yeah, maybe a minor gripe, but it seemed to me to be an arbitrary name that they just went with and never looked back.

So in my game there is no 'Mechanical' attribute.
I call it 'Operation'.

Just putting it out there in case I ever make reference to someone rolling their 'Operation.' I know in reading some of the forum posts I had to do a double-take when someone posts something relating to a Mech roll...

'Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time. A long time.'
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know at a few of the conventions i have been to where we do D6, some of the players that have sat down in our group have felt similarly, in that the Mech should really be changed to operate.. Since every skill under refers to operating something...
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever works for you.

I never had a problem with it because our real-world mechanics don't repair high-tech starships. You take your relatively low-tech real-world car to a "mechanic" because it is a primarily mechanical device. Star Wars takes place over 25,000 after hyperdrive was invented. Star Wars technology is high-tech and highly computerized, so the repair skills are in the Technical Aptitude. In my game, the Mechanical attribute is also used to repair archaic, mechanical devices (like cars), although it wouldn't come up too often in the game.

Mechanical is also controlling vehicles (the operational aspect), and includes a sense of spatial awareness (what is used to not crash your speeder). The reason that Beast Riding was put under Mechanical in RAW is because you are trying to not crash your mount. It's not inappropriate due to the spacial awareness aspect of Mechanical, but I see it as primarily an interaction/influence skill (you roll vs. orneriness to get the animal to do what you want it to). Probably my first mod to the game back in 1e was to move Beast Riding to Perception with the other influence skills. I have since expanded it to include general animal empathy and handling (not just riding) and call the skill Animal Handling/Riding.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: