The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Verpine Revisited (yes ... again)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Verpine Revisited (yes ... again)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject: Verpine Revisited (yes ... again) Reply with quote

I have been giving some serious thought to rewriting a bunch of the species since there has been so much additional information made available. I did that with the Jawa's and Sluissi. Now I am looking at the Verpine.

This what Verpine look like per RAW:

Attribute Dice: 12D
DEXTERITY 1D+1/3D
KNOWLEDGE 1D+1/3D
MECHANICAL 1D+2/3D+2
PERCEPTION 1D+1/4D
STRENGTH 1D+1/3D
TECHNICAL 2D/5D

Special Abilities:
--Body Armor: The Verpine's natural chitinous plate armor gives them a +1D bonus against physical attacks.
--Microscopic Sight: +1D bonus to search when looking for small objects, due to their highly evolved eyes.
--Organic Telecommunication: Because Verpine can send and receive radio waves through their antenna, they have the ability to communicate with other members of their species and with specially-tuned comlinks. The range is very limited when they are acting individually (1 km) but greatly increases when in the hive (covers the entire Roche asteroid field).
--Technical Bonus: All Verpine receive a +2D bonus when using their Technical skills.
Move: 10/13
Size: 1.9 meters

For the most part I think the write-up works. Though I believe it does need some tweaks. Lets start off with the chitinous exoskeleton.

".. tough enough to deflect a blade or even absorb a glancing blaster bolt."

Let us assume that by blade they mean a dagger and by blaster they mean a 4D blaster pistol. More than likely an average verpine will have 2D Strength. A knife will typically do 3D (2D+1D) so the +1D vs physical works. What does a glancing blow look like? I would say a below average roll of 1's and 2's on average. Giving us a total of 8. 2D would cover this, almost, but if we toss in say +2 vs energy, then the average roll goes up to 9 which would make a glancing blaster bolt ineffective.

Chitinous Exoskeleton: +1D bonus vs. physical, +2 vs energy.

"Verpine eyes were keen enough to pick out microscopic details."

I have not been able to find an example of this but it makes sense that this would only be if they are looking for something small, for example microscopic in size, since its called Microscopic Vision. I don't this really works very well as a bonus to search for looking for small objects. For example scuffs on the floor, tool scrapes on a panel cover or moved tri-d picture frame. This seems more along the line of a walking microscope.

So how best to emulate this in game mechanics? I don't about the rest of you but finding stuff under a microscope it not a quick thing. So I would say it would require a full round. Because of its narrow focus I would also suggest that it only gives a +1D search bonus when searching at a microscopic level.

Microscopic Vision: because of their highly evolved eyesight verpine can see at a microscopic level though this requires a high degree of concentration. Doing so is a full round action and allows inspection of an item at an the microscopic level. Treat as x25 microscope.

"Verpine the natural ability to sense and transmit radio waves to communicate with another Verpine in their language over distances on the order of one hundred kilometers."

This to me sounds like a skill roll with difficulty set by distance. The problem is, is it a Mechnical or a Knowledge skill roll? I wasn't able to find an example where additional verpine gathered together made for a stronger signal and sensitivity, though it could be inferred. As is I like the write-up but I think this special ability could do with some additional detail.

Knowledge skills:
Organic Telecommunication. Time to use: free action for simple information and phrases. Verpine have the natural ability to sense and transmit radio waves to communicate with another Verpine in their language over distances of one hundred kilometers and more. Skill difficulty is Easy modified by range.

In line of sight/Automatic
1-100 meters/+0
101 meters to 1 kilometer/+5
2-10 kilometers/+10
11-100 kilometers/+15
101-1,000 kilometers/+20
Same planet/+25
Same star system/+30

"Best known for their technological aptitude, the Verpine were considered to be among the finest starship engineers in the galaxy."

Skill Bonus: at the time the character is created only, the character gets 2D for every 1D placed in capital ship repair, capital ship weapon repair, space transports repair, starfighter repair, starship weapon repair or capital ship engineering, space transports engineering, starfighter engineering or starship weapon engineering if the prerequisites are made.

I would also bump movement down to 10/12. There is no reason they get a 13, makes no sense at all.

"... Verpine were openly sympathetic towards the Rebel Alliance. However, they did not officially join the Rebellion as a whole, partly due to their natural pacifistic idealism."

This is best used as a Story Arc.

Pacifistic Idealism: Verpine being a hive species have adopted a pacifistic galaxy-view. They will do their best not to enter into physical conflict unless absolutely necessary. They will try to use non-violent means until it is no longer a viable option.

Quote:
Verpine

Attribute Dice: 12D
DEXTERITY 1D+1/3D
KNOWLEDGE 1D+1/3D
MECHANICAL 1D+2/3D+2
PERCEPTION 1D+1/4D
STRENGTH 1D+1/3D
TECHNICAL 2D/5D

Special Skills:
Knowledge skills:
Organic Telecommunication. Time to use: free action for simple information and phrases. Verpine have the natural ability to sense and transmit radio waves to communicate with another Verpine in their language over distances of one hundred kilometers and more. Skill difficulty is Easy modified by range.

In line of sight/+0
1-100 meters/+5
101 meters to 1 kilometer/+10
2-10 kilometers/+15
11-1,000 kilometers/+20
Same planet/+25
Same star system/+30

Special Abilities:
Skill Bonus: at the time the character is created only, the character gets 2D for every 1D placed in capital ship repair, capital ship weapon repair, space transports repair, starfighter repair, starship weapon repair or capital ship engineering, space transports engineering, starfighter engineering or starship weapon engineering if the prerequisites are made.
Chitinous Exoskeleton: +1D bonus vs. physical, +2 vs energy.
Microscopic Vision: because of their highly evolved eyesight verpine can see at a microscopic level though this requires a high degree of concentration. Doing so is a full round action and allows inspection of an item at the microscopic level. Treat as x25 microscope.
Story Arc:
Pacifistic Idealism: Verpine being a hive species have adopted a pacifistic galaxy-view. They will do their best not to enter into physical conflict unless absolutely necessary. They will try to use non-violent means until it is no longer a viable option.
Move: 10/12
Size: 1.9 meters

Source: wookieepedia, stats by +Oliver Queen

Edit:
1. Corrected ranges for Organic Telecommunication so it now includes a range 11-100 kilometers and 101-1,000 kilometers instead of 11-1,000 kilometers.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter

Last edited by shootingwomprats on Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:07 am; edited 4 times in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per the X-Wing novels, Verpine also had a tendency to come up with innovative designs that didn't work out as well as intended. The B-Wing gyro-cockpit is one example.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a good rework.
The shard also use radio, i think was another race also.

The change in bonus dice is better then the all-out original bonus. Although, I personally would have let them have all technical skills. look at the shatter gun.

Much better balanced the RAW.
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Per the X-Wing novels, Verpine also had a tendency to come up with innovative designs that didn't work out as well as intended. The B-Wing gyro-cockpit is one example.

Also is in the fluff in the alien books.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

I did not know that, but to be honest this is not something requiring a mechanic. This is something best handled at the speed of plot. If a mechanic must be described I would chalk it up to a successful roll with a Wild Die complication maybe?
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
crmcneill wrote:

I did not know that, but to be honest this is not something requiring a mechanic. This is something best handled at the speed of plot. If a mechanic must be described I would chalk it up to a successful roll with a Wild Die complication maybe?

On a 1 on wild die roll jawa-rigging mishap.

Lol
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized something about attaching range to the skill roll. There was some inference in material (only found it in one spot and it was not clear) that verpine who gather together can send and receive communication over greater distances. Okay this can still be done and emulated within RAW. When trying to communicate at a greater distance treat it as a combined action. There we go, neat and simple. I like this even better now that I have had some time to digest my awesome creativity and ingenuity.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fix for the +2D tech bonus was to treat it as a function of the instantaneous communication. When other Verpine are in range they talk to each other about whatever tech they're working on so get a free +1 pip per Verpine in range up to a max of +2D.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: