The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What’s better than hyperdrive for intergalactic travel?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> What’s better than hyperdrive for intergalactic travel?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maximum7
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:17 pm    Post subject: What’s better than hyperdrive for intergalactic travel? Reply with quote

I’m trying to write a Star Wars story about someone who figures out a way to travel FTL between galaxies. Hyperspace doesn’t work in the Intergalactic Void, and there is a hyperspace disturbance at the edge of the galaxy blocking travel anyway. I was trying to think of an alternative method of traveling the distance. This drive I envision could ONLY be used in the intergalactic void (so it can’t replace hyperdrive). It allows travel through the void very quickly but NOT instantaneously and there is a weird quantum glitch where the inhabitants of the ship need to wait 2 hours before piercing the veil of another galaxy or weird quantum things could happen to their ship.

Anyway I originally thought of a superfluid vacuum drive but I did a lot of research and it’s unlikely the universe is a superfluid. I know Star Wars science is soft as a marshmallow but I want some fake science that sounds realistic. Can anyone help me?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should design a ship powered by bad news, since nothing travels faster than bad news. Of course, nobody will be particularly happy to see you when you get there.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The closest I can think of is what the Aing-Tii use to have their ships travel from place to place. But at the same time, they might be using the Force power fold space to do that. Can they use that to travel to another galaxy? Personally, possible, but on the border between practical and impractical.

The Yuuzhan Vong were able to move their entire civilization, and their worldships and other crafts moved about using gravitic drives. I think their drives warped gravity to travel through hyperspace, and used the gravitic signatures of planets to lock onto a specific planet as their destination. Apparently, to their gravitic sensors, each planet had a unique signature, just as with the exception of identical siblings, people have unique DNA.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purrgils. They travel FTL without hyperdrives. Purrgils are the key to life, the universe, and everything.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Purrgils. They travel FTL without hyperdrives. Purrgils are the key to life, the universe, and everything.

Or more specifically, the gastric emissions of Purrgils.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stealing a bit from Mass Effect and Schlock Mercenary, go with a specially made hypergate or Infinity Gate, designed just for travel between the two points.

So, you find this gate, and it sends you to the next galaxy over, with whatever time dilation effect you want. Or, maybe shoots you there, and the return gate is broken. Depends on what you want.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: