The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What obsolete or already-do-we-have technologies do you use?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> What obsolete or already-do-we-have technologies do you use?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maximum7
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:22 pm    Post subject: What obsolete or already-do-we-have technologies do you use? Reply with quote

Wookieepedia’s policy is that they cannot create a page for something that is real-world and doesn’t do anything that distinguishes from a real-world item. They got me thinking. Have any of you used a piece of technology in your campaign that exists now (in 2022) or even before or during 1977 when Star Wars was first released?

Note: Obviously you will say wheels since some tanks use them.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a fairly good question.

Now outside the "sci-fi" tec, we have of course every common item like cups and plates for food, cutlery, we have neon lights, fashions, most things we have actually I would think, I can not pin point anything in particular.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'vehad chain saws, modern flame throwers, nail guns (in an archaic construction yard)..
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have actually had problems with my players as wanting to use modern technology in Star Wars games, arguing that if it exists now, surely it exists in a galaxy where there are blasters and interstellar faster than light space travel. The kicker is that modern technology completely disrupts the balance and feel of Star Wars. The first thing that comes to mind are the effects of Sensory and surveillance equipment.

As to the OP's question, Smart phones are about the closest things to data pads, but they take pictures too. Holograms are now a reality and fit well into Star Wars as well. Those the the two that come to mind.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of tech were they wanting? Listening bugs? GPS Transmitters?
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great topic - and a challanging one at times.

We want to stay consistent with star wars tech, and of course where that tech can lead to plot points in the films.

But there are some realities of why the tech was what it was in the movies -
1 - george needed it to be limited to support plot points
2 - they had not idea of what the near future (in 1977) would hold.

Plot support

The scanners needed to be somewhat limited - otherwise it would have been too easy to find missing droids, hidden rebels or your friend on a tauntaun.

Compare this to star trek scanners which can pick out a piece of jewlery from orbit (I had played star trek based RPGs back in the day - the sensors had to break as often as the transporter!).

Also, stories sometimes need things like code cylinders etc. instead of biometrics - or dna scanners etc - just so we can have story conflict or mystery.... (although clone wars does add a few high tech criminal resources).

But on the other hand - the scanners in star wars can detect a fleet in seconds, things coming out of hyperspace etc. So, it is kind of variable....
(but not a ship on the hull behind the bridge....).

Advances in tech - or just ignored....

The rise of smart phones and even more relevant, cameras in them, is one big social event - not to mention biometrics etc. not to mention weapons tech - star wars starship combat was designed to be up close and personal - and modeled after ww2 dogfighting footage - or ships being close enough that you could see the enemy ship up close.

These make for good cinema - but can break immersion if we think about it too much (modern day ship weapons have incredible ranges - as to fighters etc.). So, star wars weapon ranges are a lot shorter than we would be used to.

In game...

In our game, we kind of advanced things ...slightly.

A common accessory is a "com-pad" a small data pad integrated with a comlink - and a simple holo recording device for the advanced models.

We say they are not as common as in our society - due to less compatibility with different networks etc. (imagine not just going from country to country, but planet to planet and sector to sector - where maybe some worlds wnat you to buy their tech...etc.).

After all, hard to be rebels if you get recorded in every single fight with some troopers....

Other Obsolete stuff...
As others have mentioned - yeah, everything from worlds that use swords or slug throwers, to "ground cars"
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

They wanted sensors with realistic ranges for ships (rather than max ranges not far beyond shooting range), full surveillance cameras, motion sensors, trackers, etc. Basically, technology that would eliminate the possibility for great cinematic scenes that are common in Star Wars and other movies. No one could ever sneak through an Imperial ship or facility without being detected and would never be able to escape once detected. I am struggling to recall specifics, but each time I remember having to deny a request because the technology would ruin good storytelling.
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:
The rise of smart phones and even more relevant, cameras in them, is one big social event - not to mention biometrics etc. not to mention weapons tech - star wars starship combat was designed to be up close and personal - and modeled after ww2 dogfighting footage - or ships being close enough that you could see the enemy ship up close.

These make for good cinema - but can break immersion if we think about it too much (modern day ship weapons have incredible ranges - as to fighters etc.). So, star wars weapon ranges are a lot shorter than we would be used to."

It's funny that you mention this. I have been playing tactical games for ship to ship combat and troop battles via an electronic format. When I used to play in the theater of the minds, the distances and difficulties all made a lot of sense. However, when you actually scale out the battles, even with the 'short' ranges in the RAW, the ranges of the weapons feels crazy long and are not at all reflective of what you see in the movies. Space battles are the most extreme. Even though there is no true distance for a Space Unit, I have been using 100 meters = 1 Space unit and scale everything off that. Even the limited range of a standard laser cannon at 25 Soace Units, the ship's are so far from each other, they would only appear as specs. And turbolasers... forget it! The battles take place at (and are usually resolved at) such long ranges, I do not see WWII style dog fights or capital ship broadsides like you do in the movies.

This is why I did implement a house rule that reduced damage of energy weapons by -2D at long range, -1D at medium range, and +1D at point-blank range. It was discussed in a different thread under house rules and the comments I received were not much in favor of this approach for logical reasons. The energy blasts would not lose effective strength within standard ranges, etc. However, the logical arguments sometimes kill the cinematic drama and excitement. I like this rule because it encourages my players to engage up close and personal in a closer emulation the the movies.

However, the big tie in to the OP is that advanced technology - even modern technology, can ruin the feel of Star Wars. After all, I would classify Space Opera as fantasy first and science fiction second.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:
We want to stay consistent with star wars tech, and of course where that tech can lead to plot points in the films.

But there are some realities of why the tech was what it was in the movies -
1 - george needed it to be limited to support plot points
2 - they had not idea of what the near future (in 1977) would hold.

Even when they moved up to the prequel films and the newer trilogy, they still didn't use much of modern like tech.. Well OUR modern that is.

pakman wrote:
Plot support

The scanners needed to be somewhat limited - otherwise it would have been too easy to find missing droids, hidden rebels or your friend on a tauntaun.

Compare this to star trek scanners which can pick out a piece of jewlery from orbit (I had played star trek based RPGs back in the day - the sensors had to break as often as the transporter!).

Also, stories sometimes need things like code cylinders etc. instead of biometrics - or dna scanners etc - just so we can have story conflict or mystery.... (although clone wars does add a few high tech criminal resources).

That is why with me, scanners are an ACTIVE thing. YOU Have to use it. Its not always 'there'.

pakman wrote:
Advances in tech - or just ignored....

These make for good cinema - but can break immersion if we think about it too much (modern day ship weapons have incredible ranges - as to fighters etc.). So, star wars weapon ranges are a lot shorter than we would be used to.

Then you also have to add in, even with big ships, we mostly saw just FIGHTERS going at it.. The larger ships were just "there"..

pakman wrote:
In game...

In our game, we kind of advanced things ...slightly.

A common accessory is a "com-pad" a small data pad integrated with a comlink - and a simple holo recording device for the advanced models.

We say they are not as common as in our society - due to less compatibility with different networks etc. (imagine not just going from country to country, but planet to planet and sector to sector - where maybe some worlds wnat you to buy their tech...etc.).

Add to that, each world's own race, may have their OWN way of doing things (imagine a race where their language was based on Hexidecimal, or Octal, rather than binary or decimal).. That may make tech incompatible, just from a Linquistic compatibility issue..

pakman wrote:
After all, hard to be rebels if you get recorded in every single fight with some troopers....

Had that happen in game once.. Group was fighting some stormies, but didn't NOTICE a # of locals were RECORDING THEM and streaming it live.. SO ALL THEIR IDS were shot to hell...

Dr. Bidlo wrote:
garhkal wrote:

They wanted sensors with realistic ranges for ships (rather than max ranges not far beyond shooting range), full surveillance cameras, motion sensors, trackers, etc. Basically, technology that would eliminate the possibility for great cinematic scenes that are common in Star Wars and other movies. No one could ever sneak through an Imperial ship or facility without being detected and would never be able to escape once detected. I am struggling to recall specifics, but each time I remember having to deny a request because the technology would ruin good storytelling.

Do you remember their logic/reasoning for trying to ASK for those things?
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Dr. Bidlo wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Do you remember their logic/reasoning for trying to ASK for those things?

They were just trying to remove obstacles to locate some pirates as they are Imperials who in theory have the best and most modern technology. However, giving them the technology would make the challenge/adventure roo easy and less exciting. There should be a sense of tension. No matter what side the players are on, they should always feel like they are at a disadvantage because they do not know what their opponents know. A lot of technology dispels this mystery and could give the players too much of the full picture.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps they DO have some of that tech, but its limited to imperial inquisitors and/or Compnor folks..
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rank= Requested Gear/tech

meaning that yes many special forces and intelligence unites have plenty of the most amazing tech, however every operate and every team will not have access to all this, the access they have depends on several factors of course, but ranks and how "important the mission" and the like plays a factor.

maybe the pirates too have tech, maybe they have a way to hide, maybe the planet they are on (if any) have some form of energies or magnetic spheres
that can "screw up" sensor readings.

the players are most likely not the Upper most "upper tier" operators yet and their level of gear and tech they can access reflect this
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's how i handle it.. One's rank in the rebel alliance, can be used to 'request special gear'..
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All great suggestions. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: