The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

[1E] Falconer’s Newbie Questions
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> [1E] Falconer’s Newbie Questions Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:14 am    Post subject: [1E] Falconer’s Newbie Questions Reply with quote

Just going to dump silly little questions here as they come to me. I am using First Edition. I want to keep it light. I’m probably not going to use the Rules Companion unless there’s something in there all agree is awesome/essential. What about the Rules Upgrade? Is it all positive? Meh? No diplomatic answers, please, just hard opinions. Thanks!

Last edited by Falconer on Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:52 am; edited 1 time in total
DB 2.0
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Companion cleans up quite a few rules, others it lifts the game above the "Fairy Breed & Cordial" feel that it can fall in to so easily where others over complicate the game (hence why they didn't get carried over in to 2nd ed).

Read the book carefully and make your own mind up, perhaps with the help of a player with GM'ing experience, and/or a mature minded experienced player. though I do recommend the Force section.
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

What are 5 models of freighter you have used in your game (or that you otherwise like)? I’d like to run a campaign centered around a ship like the Millennium Falcon or the Serenity, but I want to give the players some options.
DB 2.0
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the GG6 Tramp Freighters has a bunch of ships to use unfortunately many have bean modified by the NPC's they belong to so you may have to trim them back, if you can't find a 1e version of GG6 (rear as hens teeth these days) there isn't much work is converting the Speed codes back from 2e to 1e. GG6 is the go to book for a Smuggler & Free Trader campaign (once you have the core books)

also there is the "Heir to the Empire" sourcebook, IIRC it was thew last book printed for 1e, 2e came out the month after it hit the shops (even had an add for 2e on the last page).

D6 Holocron has a big list of of freighters (as well as other ships and vehicles) to work with, the stats are in 2e but it's dead easy to mod them back to 1e.

heck if you have Appendix two of the 2e core book (bottom half of p.164 & all of p.165 2e and to a only slightly lesser extent R&E is yours for the picking.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: [1E] Falconer’s Newbie Questions Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
What about the Rules Upgrade?

Here are 4 pages of the original free 1e Rule Upgrade (pre-Rules Companion):

http://adventuresandshopping.blogspot.com/2011/06/rules-upgrade-for-star-wars-weg-d6-1st.html
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it, just wondering if it is recommended.
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB 2.0 wrote:
the GG6 Tramp Freighters has a bunch of ships to use unfortunately many have bean modified by the NPC's they belong to so you may have to trim them back, if you can't find a 1e version of GG6 (rear as hens teeth these days) there isn't much work is converting the Speed codes back from 2e to 1e. GG6 is the go to book for a Smuggler & Free Trader campaign (once you have the core books)

By Core do you mean simply Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game and The Star Wars Sourcebook? I have those as well as the Campaign Pack. I did also pick up GG6, because everywhere this game is discussed that supplement comes up as essential, at least for the sort of campaigning I plan to run.

Quote:
also there is the "Heir to the Empire" sourcebook

That looks handy. I may pick it up.
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was Kazhyyk ever detailed in any RPG supplement?

Does everybody use/like the Planet Generation System from Planets of the Galaxy, Volume One and/or The Star Wars Planets Collection?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kashyk was given some info in the 2e sourcebooks, but mostly just a quick overview. Nothing in depth.
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
Does everybody use/like the Planet Generation System from Planets of the Galaxy, Volume One and/or The Star Wars Planets Collection?

Hi Falconer, for a long time I used a modified version of the MegaTraveller system for world/star system gen but nowadays I'd stick more closely to the Planets Collection. I'm pretty liberal with the fudging when I get a result I don't think fits with my concept.
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it generally popular to use templates, or to build characters from scratch?

Any templates you favor? Any you disallow? Any from a source outside the core rules that seem essential? Any options I’m missing?
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually just find, modify or create templates for my players that will fit with my campaign starting point and they type of character they are interested in playing. I generally pitch campaign ideas to my group prior to starting a new one so I can get a feel for their expectations and desires. It helps to get them emotionally invested in the plot as I wright it.
DB 2.0
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picking Templates is best for Novice players or for those who are guests at the table, modifying for if your short on time or if you have players who squeeze you for lots of gear or if your group is new to the game, in my opinion the best option if you as a GM are simpatico with your players is to build characters from scratch once you get the hang of the game.

If you are all new to the game I suggest a few short scenarios using Templates before starting your campaign proper using modified templates or custom built characters.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
Is it generally popular to use templates, or to build characters from scratch?

Any templates you favor? Any you disallow? Any from a source outside the core rules that seem essential? Any options I’m missing?

Templates are a great starting point for newbies, but often i see people wanting to "Make their own" characters from scratch do so in a way to power game up, like say maxing out one or two attributes AND taking a species that is good in that (or those two) area(s), such as a verpine tech maxing out Technical and Knowledge (or maybe mechanical).
Or someone wanting to be a Gammorean bruiser Maxing out both Str and Dex.

If you DO allow them to custom build their characters, try to avoid the 'maxing out attribute' angle, and try to keep the # of starting skills similar to already existing templates.
DB 2.0
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on how mature minded your players are, I play with a guy who lacks creativity and is too lazy to make his own characters in any game unless pushed, he rolls everything he can including Skills if the system allows for it, he's in his 50's and loves the idea of Templates, except for the part where he has to allocate Skill dice.

I personally love doing builds and writing profiles, I can go from a blank sheet to a finished SW character with back story in around five to ten minutes including with a short equipment (wish) list mostly from memory.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: