The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Origins Game Fair (Columbus OH)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gaming Groups -> Origins Game Fair (Columbus OH) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any gamer close enough to stop in deserves to know about it.

It feels like you are in a bar during a Gamecon on any given night.
I only make it over about once a month myself, but I love the feel of the place.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cynanbloodbane wrote:
Any gamer close enough to stop in deserves to know about it.

It feels like you are in a bar during a Gamecon on any given night.
I only make it over about once a month myself, but I love the feel of the place.

I don't make it up to Cleveland that often, but next time I do I'll definitely try to swing over to Lakewood and check it out.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked it up on mapquest, and being its 2.3 hrs of a drive one way i doubt i will be giving it a look see any time soon.
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it looks like we will be checking in around 3-4:00 PM on Wed and my only event starts at 8:00 pm. Big Bar on 2 around 6:00 sound good?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be attending a game starting at 7pm, so i can see meeting up say around 6pm or so.. Sound good?
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be there. PMing a contact number now.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to meet up with you guys Wednesday but I don't get off work until 6:00 and couldn't be downtown until almost 7:00.

So I won't be arriving at the convention center until Thursday morning. Of course I will see both of you at 2:00 for Sparks #78.

garhkal, I plan on e-mailing you the character/update later tonight.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill, I am quite sure we will all be thirsty again at some point this weekend. Events permitting, I am always up for a chat over a good beer! Looking forward to meeting you face to face!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I'd love to meet up with you guys Wednesday but I don't get off work until 6:00 and couldn't be downtown until almost 7:00.

So I won't be arriving at the convention center until Thursday morning. Of course I will see both of you at 2:00 for Sparks #78.

garhkal, I plan on e-mailing you the character/update later tonight.

Which email will you use for it?
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: re: Origins Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Which email will you use for it?

I just replied to the last e-mail you sent me from name.name0@gmail address.

cynanbloodbane wrote:
Whill, I am quite sure we will all be thirsty again at some point this weekend. Events permitting, I am always up for a chat over a good beer! Looking forward to meeting you face to face!

Yes, I'd be down for a beer on Friday night after my Firefly game (which ends at 11:00).

I'll send you guys my cell # too.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your character sounds rather quirky and interesting, but imo would fit in more for the Ex-cultist template.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THERE IS A GREAT DISTURBANCE IN THE FORCE.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:06 am    Post subject: Origins Report - my Day 1 Reply with quote

Today I got to visit with Jerry Grayson (author of D6 Powers and Hellas) who I first met back in '09 (when I also met and talked to Peter Mayhew). Jerry doesn't come to Origins every year. He doesn't put anything on the schedule but he said he would run an after hours pick-up game of Hellas if I could get a couple other players, so I guess I'll have to try to make that happen next time he comes. I also said Hi to Timothy Zahn.

I played in garhkal's SW D6 Rebel game with cynanbloodbane and his son. It was great to play with you guys. I can honestly say that I didn't want the adventure to end when it did and I wish we had more time for it. I will say that garhkal is what I might call a 'benevolent evil GM' if that makes any sense.

The WotC SW Saga game I played after that was different than what I expected. We were given a general Rebel mission, then we gathered information and came up with a plan. I still don't care for the game system, but thankfully it ended up being a rules-light adventure that was mostly roleplaying. The rest of the players were dead set on having a good time regardless of game system, and we all had a lot of fun with the co-creation of the story. When we had successfully completed the first mission with a lot of time to spare, the GM gave us a second mission that we completed with partial success. I enjoyed this game slot a lot more than I thought I would.

Tomorrow is a Serenity game ran by one of my fraternity brothers, and an FFG Age of Rebellion game.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:22 pm; edited 3 times in total
jawa1138
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Origins Report Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Today I got to visit with Jerry Grayson (author of D6 Powers and Hellas) who I first met back in '09 (when I also met and talked to Peter Mayhew). Jerry doesn't come to Origins every year. He doesn't put anything on the schedule but he said he would run an after hours pick-up game of Hellas if I could get a couple other players, so I guess I'll have to try to make that happen next time he comes. I also said Hi to Timothy Zahn.

I played in garhkal's SW D6 Rebel game with cynanbloodbane and his son. It was great to play with you guys. I can honestly say that I didn't want the adventure to end when it did and I wish we had more time for it. I will say that garhkal is what I might call a 'benevolent evil GM' if that makes any sense.

The WotC SW Saga game I played after that was different than what I expected. We were given a general Rebel mission, then we gathered information and came up with a plan. I still don't care for the game system, but thankfully it ended up being a rules-light adventure that was mostly roleplaying. The rest of the players were dead set on having a good time regardless of game system, and we all had a lot of fun with the co-creation of the story. When we had successfully completed the first mission with a lot of time to spare, the GM gave us a second mission that we completed with partial success. I enjoyed this game slot a lot more than I thought I would.

Tomorrow is a Serenity game ran by one of my fraternity brothers, and an FFG Age of Rebellion game.

Sounds like you had an awesome time. I am going to try to make it next year.

Do any of you go to Con on the Cob, which I think is in Akron or that area during October?
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Origins Report - my Day 2 and final day Reply with quote

jawa1138 wrote:
Whill wrote:
I also said Hi to Timothy Zahn...

Sounds like you had an awesome time.

It really was a fantastic con experience this year! I got to play SW D6, plus 3 games I have but had never played before including both non-WEG Star Wars games.

Today before my games when I walked by Timothy Zahn, he didn't have anyone there at all so I thought what the hell and went to talk with him for a few minutes. I saw a Star Wars comic compilation and asked what he wrote in that and he went into detail about what he wrote in it and what else it all included. I then picked up the top book in a stack of hardback compilations of the Thrawn Trilogy which I have been looking for to buy for a while now, and the price sticker said $200. I gasped and said, "$200?!? I would love to have this, but not for that much." He then went into his 'justification' that they are selling on eBay for $170-$175 and he didn't want to sell them for a low price just so someone can then take them online and sell for their own profit. Me having established an interest in Star Wars, he then went into full salesman mode and began to tell me about all of his non-SW books he had there to sell signed copies of. He ended that with describing a modern techno-thriller novel that involves a working cloaking device to cloak a stolen missile, and I said, "Oh, kinda like when Thrawn cloaked the asteroids and used them against Coruscant?" He smiled and said, "Eh... yeah". By then some fanboys were approaching, so I shook his hand, thanked him and told him it was great to meet him, proud of myself for resisting the urge to go all disgruntled fanboy on him for Mara Sue ruining the climax of The Last Command, or the horrible novels Outbound Flight and Allegiance. Despite my love/hate relationships with the body of his SW works, I feel compelled to add that personally, Timothy Zahn was extremely pleasant, nice and friendly throughout my interaction with him (like everyone I interacted with at Origins this year). And he was selling WEG Darkstryder box sets which I thought was really d@mn cool (but never bothered to even find out his price).

My Serenity game was playing the actual characters from the show, and it was so much fun. The guy who played Jayne was just perfect in sounding and acting like the character, and very funny. Our Wash was very funny, and our Mal was played by a 14 year-old girl who did a very good job. I played Kaylee.

The Age of Rebellion game was the only FFG SW event on the entire Origins schedule. There were two players out of seven total who had played the game before. The GM spent some time at the beginning of the game slot explaining the game system (and I sat right beside the GM), but it wasn't enough for me and a few of the others. My dice rolls had to be interpreted by the GM for me. By the end of the 4 hours, I was just starting to learn what the success and advantage symbols looked like on the custom dice, but still didn't get which symbols cancelled which other symbols out. The GM was very well-prepared for the adventure, well organized with index cards for everything, but still spent time puzzling over the GM screen to interpret what was going on here and there. The GM was very friendly and during the break he and I talked about the previous incarnations of the game (he had played both WEG and Wotc before FFG). We had a great group of players and the outcome was yet another a fun story created...

I'm not trying to be too melodramatic when I say this, but I officially f@(#ing despise the FFG SW game system! Having grown up on D&D, having played in an entire D&D 3.5 campaign, and having played a SW SAGA game Thursday, I can honestly say FFG's SW is even worse than WotC d20-ish SW overall. FFG has careers (classes), talents (feats), wound points (hit points), a whole helluva lot of crunch, inner crunch that explodes inside the outer crunch when the milk makes it mushy, and wacky custom dice with cryptic symbols with non-intuitive meanings and die result cancellations. If you want to add some more narrative mods to D6 or take a few queues from FFG SW in your house-ruled SW D6 you can easily accomplish that, but I extremely dislike the FFG SW game system itself as a whole.

After our last games tonight, I met up with cynanbloodbane and his buddy (who both also played with us in garhkal's WEG SW game) at the hotel's bar and had a beer or three. cynanbloodbane is an awesome father and great guy with a passion for Star Wars and roleplaying, and I was really glad to get a chance to hang out with him in person.

jawa1138 wrote:
I am going to try to make it next year.

jawa I hope you do! If so, we'll all have to get into the same SW D6 con game, and/or even have one of us run a game for the others outside of the con games. Next year I hope to be able to go for more than 2 days (the con is 5 total).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gaming Groups All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: