The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Climbing/Jumping
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Climbing/Jumping Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, not a good shot?

actually, i could bust out with an assassin that's a natural climbing race...

like some sort of ape, or an frog type guy... that's an interesting suggestion... i like it... Twisted Evil i just hope my players haven't been reading the forums too...
hehe...
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Hutts can't run. I wonder how well they could climb? Evil or Very Mad
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROFL... i don't think they'd bother, they'd just get some repulsor platform and use that damn thing

Laughing a hutt climbing... Laughing
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I’m late responding, but I have been working back-to-back shifts.

The reason I suggested strength feat as opposed to just lifts, was so there would a broader base that the skill could cover. Not just for lifting stuff, but also for say…holding open blast doors, tearing off Droid arms and crap like that. Things that don’t really qualify as “lifting” per se.
But you do have a point about have a skill overriding a stats ability, technique is one thing, but its better to keep it within reason.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could hold up a blast door that's closing with a lifting check, and as for ripping off a droids arms, how about str vs str roll?
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the Droid arm was a bad example, but I think you see what I mean. If Lifting covers more than just …well lifting it’s a bit of a misnomer.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i suppose so
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:08 pm    Post subject: Climbing/jumping Reply with quote

Smile

I've used the Climbing/Jumping skill and put one of my starting dice in it. I found it very useful for bounding over obsticles to land rignt in front of people... this tends to give me the element of surprise. You are quite right climbing and jumping are not the same thing but if one is skilled enough at jumping one could presumably scale a surface by leaping from craig to craig (think of a cartoon mountain goat)
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, but I would think that it would be utilizing two skills for the same goal as apposed to two skill that are related.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the thing i don't like about splitting up the 2 skills is that i like to stay as close to the original rules as possible, that way if it's officially written there's usually not much room for argument Smile i like to avoid confrontation over some new ruling i made or some crap like that... so i leave em together, but i suppose you could split them after character creation so if you put starting dice in, you've got climbing AND jumping increased, but after that when character points are spent to increase it, they have to choose which of the 2 they'd like to increase Smile or which one they used
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good point that I never really thought about for using house rules vs. the official rules - if it's in the books the characters can't blame you for the rule... Very Happy

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, before I implement a house rule I usually talk it over with my players. We are all pretty mature and logical, and therefore can usually see along similar if not the same lines. We too want to keep as close to official rules as possible, but only if the rules are logical. Climb and Jump as one skill, Bowcaster all by its lonesome, Rocket and Jet pack operations being separate, Persuade and bargain also being separate to use seems nonsensical. We did what any gamer who is not wholly happy with a system does, we modify it to suite our tastes. Sure that might create some friction if we play outside our group and try to apply to rules to other who don’t want to use them. But as a whole it keeps our games running smoothly.

It’s kind of like what happened to the old D&D campaign setting of birthright, fans on the web refused to let it die and continued to add to and adapt it. The final result though not that same, was definitely in the spirit of the game, so much so that the creator of the setting wrote the intro to the net book stating how pleased and flattered he was seeing all that effort being put into his creation, ending it with “it is yours now”.

Now I’m not expecting the creators of Star Wars to get so dramatic but still if you think about it, we are in the same position. The D6 version will never be added to, or edited again, well not officially anyway. So who will point out the errors? Who will add to the game with updates? Us. Sure most people don’t think that they are capable enough to make changes to an established system, but that to me is more than a tad unrealistic. Speaking just from my group, we have over a century of gaming experience put together (myself I only have, fifteen to sixteen years). We have had games with Kevin Siembieda, Randy McCall, and have discussed mechanics with Richard Tucholka. The only thing that separates us (and the majority of other gamers) from the so-called professionals is that they actively worked to get their ideas published. Gaming is not like arithmetic where there is a set of rules to adhere to when creating a games mechanics, its all opinion. There is no school where you go to get a licence or a diploma to create games, all it take is a bit of common sense and a love of games.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:08 pm    Post subject: Climbing/Jumping Reply with quote

I think you're right about house rules being the answer here if all the players and the GM agree where is the harm. Very Happy

I was thinking about the 13d in lifting but only 1d in strength situation. A possible solution is to make a house rule that a skill cannot be more than tripple the stat on which it is based. That was someone with 1d in strength would only have (max) 3d for lifting but someone with 2d in strength could get all the way up to 6d in lifting
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that makes sense for some skills, but not others. Someone with 2D Dexterity should be able to have a blaster skill of more than 6D. The level of training itself is more important for some skills while it seems the attribute the skill is based on is more important for others. I think that definitely makes sense for the lifting skill, though. That skill definitely seems like the strength of the player would be the most limiting factor.

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point.

Perhaps the rule would only be able to be applied to strength skills
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: