The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Damaging yourself in Lightsaber combat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Damaging yourself in Lightsaber combat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
evilnerf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Damaging yourself in Lightsaber combat Reply with quote

So, I was doing some reading and I noticed that if you fail your attack roll by 10 or more while wielding a lightsaber, you accidentally hit yourself with a potentially lethal attack.

Is this correct? This seems rather harsh to me. If he were attacking someone particurly dexterous, even Master Yoda would keep stabbing himself in the face.

How does anyone play a beginner Jedi? Seems like one failed roll and there's a pretty good chance you die.
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The base difficulty for using a lightsaber is 20. If you roll ten under that then the character using the lightsaber injures themselves with the base damage of the lightsaber (5D). Basically a roll of nine or less. That is how I would game it.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

griff wrote:
The base difficulty for using a lightsaber is 20. If you roll ten under that then the character using the lightsaber injures themselves with the base damage of the lightsaber (5D). Basically a roll of nine or less. That is how I would game it.

Technically it says that it has a difficulty of Difficult. Most of us use 20 as the target. Though I have heard a GM say that he goes with a difficulty of 16, and so if you roll a 6 or less you damage yourself.

However, that seems absurdly low to me.
evilnerf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you use 20 as the target? The target range for "Difficult" is 16-20.

Seems to me that since 16 would succeed, then the lower limit should be 6.

Which makes way more sense in my opinion since if a Jedi has 4d6 in lightsabers, they would have a 15% chance of stabbing themselves.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty much always set 20 as the base difficulty number. It's fairly standard, though, as I said, not universal.
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first post does referrer to the 1e source book, 2e is difficult (16 to 20). That is base difficulty for any use of a lightsaber. While deflecting a blaster bolt back to the shooter might be very difficult requiring a roll of 25 I would have the user of the lightsaber roll damage from the lightsaber with a roll of 12. While the character failed to deflect the blaster bolt back to the shooter, the base difficulty failure was not sufficient enough to cause them self injury.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always seen it played that its 10 or less, not 10 under the target number needed to hit.. SO if a jedi is fighting a sith and the sith had rolled a 43 for his LS parry roll for the round, the Jedi fighting him would only injure himself if he rolled a 10 or less, NOT a 33 or less.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been discussed before (can't for the life of me remember which topic, though). The method I ended up using (as suggested by Bren) was that damaging yourself for a failed roll was only for those using a lightsaber untrained (no Lightsaber skill). Persons with the Lightsaber skill on a -10 failure had the option of losing their grip on the saber to avoid being hit (we see Jedi lose their grip on their sabers multiple times, but never once do we see one slash himself).

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
This has been discussed before (can't for the life of me remember which topic, though). The method I ended up using (as suggested by Bren) was that damaging yourself for a failed roll was only for those using a lightsaber untrained (no Lightsaber skill). Persons with the Lightsaber skill on a -10 failure had the option of losing their grip on the saber to avoid being hit (we see Jedi lose their grip on their sabers multiple times, but never once do we see one slash himself).

I handled it much the same. Only those using a Lightsaber untrained were subject to risk of injury by a failure of 10 or more. For those trained it would require q 1 on the Wild Die, and I would have to feel they were attempting something that could injure themselves (though usually I let my chaos die determine if 1's were fumbles, complications, or just a low roll). I always thought that the Lightsaber rules were not handled in the best fashion.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

Where in the films do we see loss of grip on the saber? The only time i remember was when Luke got his almost bashed out of his hand in the ESB. Just before he got his hand taken off.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about just minutes previously, when Vader disarmed him in the carbon freezing chamber?

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which imo is not the same as 'rolling low'.. That was an attack maneuver to disarm the opponent vader used...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which wasn't what you asked. Twisted Evil

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a more serious note...
garhkal wrote:
Where in the films do we see loss of grip on the saber? The only time i remember was when Luke got his almost bashed out of his hand in the ESB. Just before he got his hand taken off.

It's a logical progression. We never see anyone in the films damage themselves by flubbing a lightsaber swing, but if the lightsaber is supposed to be a dangerous weapon in-universe, there must be rules to represent this. Taken a step further, a person trained in the use of a saber who fails a roll will likely have just enough experience to realize he is about to get hoisted on his own petard and voluntarily lose his grip on the saber to keep from dicing himself with it.

Add to that the fact that Bren and I actually agreed on something...

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO IYO, once someone has the skill, they are never at risk of cutting themselves. Period.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: