The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What do you like/dislike about D6 (including WEG D6 Space)?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> What do you like/dislike about D6 (including WEG D6 Space)? Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheDoctor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: What do you like/dislike about D6 (including WEG D6 Space)? Reply with quote

So what are the pros and cons of the D6 system? What do you think could be better?

What I like is that adding 7D to a character template means you can create a character and start playing within minutes. Alternatively, I feel like you have to dedicate a large chunk of time or a whole play session just for character creation in other systems.

I like that for the most part, the rule mechanics are the same for just about everything. You roll a bunch of dice and you want the highest number possible.

However, rolling any more than 4D for a skill check is a lot of arithmetic and can bog a game session down. When somebody has an 8D skill check, I cringe a little.

Also, the number of skills a character knows seems to be arbitrary. There doesn't seem to be a set limit as to how many skills a character can start with, but adding skills later costs CP. Same goes with special abilities- there's no extra startup cost to create a character as an alien species with the desired special ability.

I know this can be remedied easily with house rules, but that's not the point. I'm just curious as to what you guys like or dislike about the D6 system.
jawa1138
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too love the template and go aspect of it. Not to say I am against building characters from scratch, but the templates offer great examples and inspiration.

What I am having issues with is that our group is used to playing D&D, mostly older editions. They are used to a class based game with defined roles for each member of the party. Star Wars d6 allows them to do anything which in turn entices them to want to do everything and often times failing at most things.

We just started playing a few months ago, many of the beginning sessions were to work out rules and playtest different aspects. They soon realized that it was hard to define a role for thier characters that didn't leave them useless in other aspects of the game.

We have rebooted our game and characters two or three times already and they are beginning to learn to balance thier initial skill choices better but there is still a learning curve for them.

BTW if you really want to cringe due to dice pools give Tunnels and Trolls a try. Group combat from a dm standpoint sometimes have you roll all the dice of the enemy party at one time then match it to the combined dice rolls of the heros. Sometimes more than 50d6 or more on the table at one time. Just an example for perspective.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you like/dislike about D6 (including WEG D6 Spac Reply with quote

I love the ease of templates too. I love the lack of classes in the simple skill-based character system. I love the game mechanics of roll versus difficulty number or opposed rolls. I love the cinematic flair of this system. I love the lack of all other dice but d6s.

My experience with new D6 players is mainly with people who have played a lot of different game systems or none at all, and most all of them have gotten it very easy. The difficulty D&D players have adapting to D6 is hardly D6's fault. D6 is a simple system in general, so you can blame that issue on how playing D&D warps your mind. 8)

TheDoctor wrote:
However, rolling any more than 4D for a skill check is a lot of arithmetic and can bog a game session down. When somebody has an 8D skill check, I cringe a little.

You are definitely not alone in this feeling, but I have honestly never had this experience. I guess I have been blessed with players able to handle arithmetic of adding a handful of results that are all only 1-6. I suggest grouping the die results into 5s and 10s (in other words, if your 5D results are 1,2,3,4,6 then 6,4 + 3,2 + 1 = 10 + 5 + 1 = 11). If there are a significant percentage of D6 players out there that have trouble with basic arithmetic, then I have to blame that on the poor standard of education. I don't think the D6 system as designed asks anything academically unreasonable of its players (even for 8D), so I can't blame the D6 system for that. And they do offer the die roll simplification chart option for rolls over 5D to specifically address this concern.

TheDoctor wrote:
adding 7D to a character template... Also, the number of skills a character knows seems to be arbitrary. There doesn't seem to be a set limit as to how many skills a character can start with, but adding skills later costs CP.

The number of skills is not arbitrary. As you said, by RAW you have 7D in skill dice to allocate. That 7D puts a definite limit on the number of skills a character can start with. Putting 2D into a single skill proportionally lowers the total number of skills.

TheDoctor wrote:
Same goes with special abilities- there's no extra startup cost to create a character as an alien species with the desired special ability.

That is a flaw of Star Wars D6, but that is not the case in all D6 games. For example, the entire Purgatory line of D6 games (which includes D6 Space) has Special Abilities packages for each species that come with a game balanced cost.

TheDoctor wrote:
I know this can be remedied easily with house rules, but that's not the point.

Actually, that is another point. D6 is inherently much easier to house rule than a lot of games. To address the Special Abilities flaw with character races playable in my game, I have made an attempt to design Special Abilities packages (including for humans) that all approximately equal 4D in skill dice based on the existing game stats and fluff. To pick up any slack a species may have, the species just gets bonus starting skill dice. It's really a very easy thing to add to the game, all thanks to the ease of the D6 system.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: What do you like/dislike about D6 (including WEG D6 Spac Reply with quote

TheDoctor wrote:

You could always use the conversion method from the D6 system: once a skill level hits 5D, convert the additional dice over to a flat value of 3.5 per D (rounded up as needed). With this system, instead of 8D, you would roll 5D+11.

TheDoctor wrote:
I know this can be remedied easily with house rules, but that's not the point.

Sure it is; just read my signature. WEG freely admitted that they wouldn't be able to cover every conceivable scenario, and that they expected us to fill in the gaps.

Whill wrote:
Actually, that is another point. D6 is inherently much easier to house rule than a lot of games. To address the Special Abilities flaw with character races playable in my game, I have made an attempt to design Special Abilities packages (including for humans) that all approximately equal 4D in skill dice based on the existing game stats and fluff. To pick up any slack a species may have, the species just gets bonus starting skill dice. It's really a very easy thing to add to the game, all thanks to the ease of the D6 system.

Interesting. I'd like to see your rules for this...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do I like about D6? Everyting.
What do I dislike about D6? Everything.
D6 is the worst system I have ever played... Except for all the other systems I tried before and after it.

To be just a little less flippant, if I absolutely had to choose, my absolute favourite would be this:
Whill wrote:
D6 is inherently much easier to house rule than a lot of games.

Fully agreed. My version of D6 is heavily house-ruled. And I love how easy D6 is to house-rule and come up with new material for.

And if I had to choose my absolute least favourite thing about D6, it'd have to be the character creation, using a different currency and pricing scheme than later in-game character advancement (linear versus progressive). It's my pet peeve for any system, really. I get that it's simpler and faster that way. I don't care. It's un-balanced and dumb.

It's wierd, really. To enumerate all the things I think are "bad" and "wrong" in D6 would take several pages and end up with a list of at least half of the rulebook's contents... Yet I have never found a system that "clicked" with me more than D6, that I found so easy and pleasant to use, and that I wanted to stick with so much despite it's tons of flaws. It's been my system of choice for years now - nowadays, instead of trying and learning a new system, I'd much rather convert any setting I want to try to D6 and use that instead. And I find the work involved in this fun.
- Tom Lehrer
evilnerf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that it has relatively simple stat blocks.

I hate things like D20 where you have a whole page of stats to keep track of. Generic NPC blocks are what, 2 or 3 lines? That's all I need for my minions. it's awesome.

The thing I dislike is that it is a bit archaic in the context of other systems. For example, there being no Con (or equivilent) stat or inventory system. Stuff you kinda expect to see in most RPGs nowadays.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you like/dislike about D6 (including WEG D6 Spac Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

TheDoctor wrote:

You are definitely not alone in this feeling, but I have honestly never had this experience. I guess I have been blessed with players able to handle arithmetic of adding a handful of results that are all only 1-6. I suggest grouping the die results into 5s and 10s (in other words, if your 5D results are 1,2,3,4,6 then 6,4 + 3,2 + 1 = 10 + 5 + 1 = 11). If there are a significant percentage of D6 players out there that have trouble with basic arithmetic, then I have to blame that on the poor standard of education.

Very true. I do think a lot of the reason people have issues is cause they have gotten too used to having calculators, Ipads/laptops etc doing their math for them..

Whill wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:
adding 7D to a character template... Also, the number of skills a character knows seems to be arbitrary. There doesn't seem to be a set limit as to how many skills a character can start with, but adding skills later costs CP.

The number of skills is not arbitrary. As you said, by RAW you have 7D in skill dice to allocate. That 7D puts a definite limit on the number of skills a character can start with. Putting 2D into a single skill proportionally lowers the total number of skills.

Whill, i think what the Doc was on about was the fact there is no real rhyme or reason to how they figure out the # of skills a template starts with.
Take the 2e BASE book (not the R&E version).
The Alien student of the force has 23 skills, the bounty hunter 26, Brash pilot 27, curious explorer 23, cyborged pirate 29, cynical scout 26, 22 for the ewok. Its all over the place. So if you are making your own templates up, should you start templates with say 20+2d4 skills?

Whill wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:
Same goes with special abilities- there's no extra startup cost to create a character as an alien species with the desired special ability.

That is a flaw of Star Wars D6, but that is not the case in all D6 games. For example, the entire Purgatory line of D6 games (which includes D6 Space) has Special Abilities packages for each species that come with a game balanced cost.

Or like sparks handles it, you pay a cost for those aliens who have more stuff.. 1, 2 or 3 of your 21 starting pips.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon The Lion wrote:
To be just a little less flippant, if I absolutely had to choose, my absolute favourite would be this:
Whill wrote:
D6 is inherently much easier to house rule than a lot of games.

Fully agreed. My version of D6 is heavily house-ruled. And I love how easy D6 is to house-rule and come up with new material for.

And if I had to choose my absolute least favourite thing about D6, it'd have to be the character creation, using a different currency and pricing scheme than later in-game character advancement (linear versus progressive). It's my pet peeve for any system, really. I get that it's simpler and faster that way. I don't care. It's un-balanced and dumb.

Do you mean how PCs get 7D to allocate in skill dice at character generation, but after play begins PCs are awarded CP which purchase pips at a cost based on the value of the skill being raised? I think that's a good point. If it bothers you, then see my quote above. You could easily change it to giving CPs to raise skill values up front. The average PC attribute is 3D. You could calculate the CP cost to raise seven 3D skills to 4D, and then calculate the cost to raise three 3D skills to 5D plus one 3D skill to 4D, and then choose a CP total in between that they can use to raise skills.

I'm OK with RAW on skill dice allocation in PC generation, but I did choose to address the issue of the difference between allocating attribute dice at character generation and the very broken rules for raising attributes (and all skills under that attribute) during play by simply eliminating the option to increase attributes after play begins. In my game, for all PC species, all PCs start with and will always have exactly 18D in attributes, no more, no less.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

evilnerf wrote:
The thing I dislike is that it is a bit archaic in the context of other systems. For example, there being no Con (or equivilent) stat or inventory system. Stuff you kinda expect to see in most RPGs nowadays.

I am unfamiliar with most new RPGs nowadays and I don't know what you mean. Con stat? Constitution like in D&D/d20? Inventory system?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you like/dislike about D6 (including WEG D6 Spac Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Very true. I do think a lot of the reason people have issues is cause they have gotten too used to having calculators, Ipads/laptops etc doing their math for them.

K-7, I took the normal math everyone else did. I took Algebra in 8th grade and higher math on through high school and college until I got a bachelor degree in Mathematics in the mid-90s. I was required to use a calculator for math classes since 8th grade because we were no longer learning or being tested on arithmatic. I do have an above average ability with higher math, but I'm just like everyone else when it comes to basic arithmetic. I'm certainly no Rain Man genius at counting toothpicks (or pips on dice) at lightening speed (I wish). But adding up the results of five to eight dice is not even 7th grade math class. If you're saying that since the early 80s when I stopped learning arithmetic, they now introduce calculators at an earlier point in education, then it is even worse than I thought. My son is 5 and starts Kindergarten in August. He can already count the pips of two D6s and add an additional +1 or +2 as required for a board game we play (Dungeon!).

garhkal wrote:
Whill, i think what the Doc was on about was the fact there is no real rhyme or reason to how they figure out the # of skills a template starts with.
Take the 2e BASE book (not the R&E version).
The Alien student of the force has 23 skills, the bounty hunter 26, Brash pilot 27, curious explorer 23, cyborged pirate 29, cynical scout 26, 22 for the ewok. Its all over the place. So if you are making your own templates up, should you start templates with say 20+2d4 skills?

Ah, gotcha. The total number of skills available to raise during PC generation. I forget about that rule in RAW because I never used it. In 1e all the skills were listed on every template. My house rule to get around the variable number of skills available in char gen is to not have any limits. Regardless of template choice, every single player skill allocation choice must be supported by the character's background in the GM approval process of char gen. If everyone can potentially have any skill as long as it makes sense for the character and their background, then the variable number of listed skills on the template is meaningless. I take all the skills listed in templates as suggestions not limitations.

garhkal wrote:
Or like sparks handles it, you pay a cost for those aliens who have more stuff.. 1, 2 or 3 of your 21 starting pips.

I like the spirit behind Spark's system with that, but a lot of species have special abilities way more valuable than 3 pips.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Do you mean how PCs get 7D to allocate in skill dice at character generation, but after play begins PCs are awarded CP which purchase pips at a cost based on the value of the skill being raised? I think that's a good point. If it bothers you, then see my quote above. You could easily change it to giving CPs to raise skill values up front. The average PC attribute is 3D. You could calculate the CP cost to raise seven 3D skills to 4D, and then calculate the cost to raise three 3D skills to 5D plus one 3D skill to 4D, and then choose a CP total in between that they can use to raise skills.

Except attributes are also part of the problem, not only skills. They're most of the problem actually, because they're much more expensive.

Depending on how a RAW starting character allocates their 18D in attributes and 7D in skills, two characters can potentially end up with a difference in net worth of 120 CP! In practice, the difference is usually much lower, especially if you're using templates. But, one, I rarely use templates, and two, that doesn't mean there's no problem.

So yes, it bothers me, very much so, and fixing it for myself was probably the first house-rule I made for D6.

An equivalent to RAW starting character (not that I ever really use starting-level characters) in my games is build with 567 CP spent to increase attributes and skills from a base of 2D in each attribute and (for humans) a speed of 8. Also, everything costs CP - Force sensitivity, Force powers, martial arts techniques, racial special abilities, everything.

Whill wrote:
I did choose to address the issue of the difference between allocating attribute dice at character generation and the very broken rules for raising attributes (and all skills under that attribute) during play by simply eliminating the option to increase attributes after play begins.

To each his own. I allow increasing attributes, I just charge additional CPs for the difference between skill CP costs under that attribute at it's old and new values. Sure, if there are more than 10 skills under an attribute, it should logically cost more than 10x the cost of a single skill... But in practice the 10x cost is steep enough already that hardly anybody ever bothers, at least among my players. So I never had a problem with it in this aspect.
- Tom Lehrer
TheDoctor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you like/dislike about D6 (including WEG D6 Spac Reply with quote

I hope you guys don't mind me being lazy, but there are a lot of good points you guys brought up and just want to say thank you for all your thoughts.

One thing I hadn't considered that you guys made me think about is that being easily "house ruled" is an inherent strength of the D6 system.

Whill, you're right about the Special Abilities with the later version of D6. I think they were going in the right direction, it's too bad they went out of print.

I really like the "Trait" system from A Time of War (the current Battletech RPG) which is similar. In that system, I like that there are positive and negative traits, and most of the the "Special Abilities" aren't superhuman abilities.

Additionally, Garhkal clarified my point about the starting skills beautifully. It's not the skill DICE, rather numerically the number of listed skills by name that seems arbitrary.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon The Lion wrote:
Except attributes are also part of the problem, not only skills. They're most of the problem actually, because they're much more expensive.

Depending on how a RAW starting character allocates their 18D in attributes and 7D in skills, two characters can potentially end up with a difference in net worth of 120 CP! In practice, the difference is usually much lower, especially if you're using templates. But, one, I rarely use templates, and two, that doesn't mean there's no problem.

So yes, it bothers me, very much so, and fixing it for myself was probably the first house-rule I made for D6.

An equivalent to RAW starting character (not that I ever really use starting-level characters) in my games is build with 567 CP spent to increase attributes and skills from a base of 2D in each attribute and (for humans) a speed of 8. Also, everything costs CP - Force sensitivity, Force powers, martial arts techniques, racial special abilities, everything.

I'd be interested in seeing your breakdown of how much everything costs in your system, at least how many CPs each pip of starting attribute costs. Are attributes worth the sum of all the skills in them, and if so then what is your skill list? How do you handle new or uncommon skills that come up in the course of the game if all skills default to attributes (meaning, skills that weren't taken into account when the attribute was paid for in character creation)?

I'm just curious because my problem with even D6 Space's much less scientific point-build system (each point equals a skill die among other things) is how it equates skill dice to attribute dice. Each die of attribute is worth 4D in skills, which is ridiculous. A munchkin could throw everything into attributes and have a very overpowered character with no or few skills. And as you mentioned, the various attributes have different number of skills, so attributes are not even equivalent to each other. And Strength has the unique inherent ability of Strength versus damage that seems difficult to equate to skill dice.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you like/dislike about D6 (including WEG D6 Spac Reply with quote

TheDoctor wrote:
Garhkal clarified my point about the starting skills beautifully. It's not the skill DICE, rather numerically the number of listed skills by name that seems arbitrary.

It only seems arbitrary because there was no attempt to equate the number of total skills available to allocate skill dice to. In a skill dice allocation system, it doesn't really matter what total number of skills you can possibly allocate skill dice to because you have a definite amount of skill dice to allocate. Once character creation is over and play begins, the unraised skills listed on the template are no different than the skills not listed, game mechanically. Except for advanced skills like Medicine, all skills default to the attribute value, and all skills can be raised with CPs (and experience or training) according to the rules. The skills listed on the template are based on the fluff text for the character concept. But the more skills listed do not equate to more skills for the character.

Again, if that bothers you anyway, then a simple solution is to do away with the limit of only being able to allocate to listed skills and view them as merely suggestions. Then every player playing any character is free to allocate to any skills, provided they are creative enough to make the choices make sense with respect to their character's background. Just throwing out a friendly suggestion to help everyone enjoy D6 more.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you like/dislike about D6 (including WEG D6 Spac Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:
Garhkal clarified my point about the starting skills beautifully. It's not the skill DICE, rather numerically the number of listed skills by name that seems arbitrary.

It only seems arbitrary because there was no attempt to equate the number of total skills available to allocate skill dice to. In a skill dice allocation system, it doesn't really matter what total number of skills you can possibly allocate skill dice to because you have a definite amount of skill dice to allocate. Once character creation is over and play begins, the unraised skills listed on the template are no different than the skills not listed, game mechanically. Except for advanced skills like Medicine, all skills default to the attribute value, and all skills can be raised with CPs (and experience or training) according to the rules. The skills listed on the template are based on the fluff text for the character concept. But the more skills listed do not equate to more skills for the character.

Again, if that bothers you anyway, then a simple solution is to do away with the limit of only being able to allocate to listed skills and view them as merely suggestions. Then every player playing any character is free to allocate to any skills, provided they are creative enough to make the choices make sense with respect to their character's background. Just throwing out a friendly suggestion to help everyone enjoy D6 more.

This is why I love reading threads here. You have all delved into house rules being an inherent part of the official rules. While seemingly illogical it is a truth of the system. It is almost an existential discussion! Very Happy

Just to continue, wouldn't a CP character build system lessen the starting value of specializations? By RAW at character creation Spec. Skills are 1/3 the D cost of a normal skill, but are 1/2 the CP cost. Not that I complain, I require a minimum of one pip allocated in the base skill to be able to have a specialization. My thinking was that a minimum of basic training would be required just to gain a specialization in the first place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: