The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How To Make a PC Droid???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> How To Make a PC Droid??? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronin84
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject: How To Make a PC Droid??? Reply with quote

I've been gaming a long time...but I have been looking at the droid rules...and I am lost. I get the concept but when I start trying to follow the example it seems not to make sense.

Any help is appreciated!

Roninsgames.proboards85.com
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not having my books in front of me now I can't remember the details on Droid PC construction. The idea behind droids is all attributes start a 1D, and you have 18D or more to spend on attributes, skills and equipment. The reason for this is that Droid are built so you can make the droid fit the function that you need, R2 units have high Technical and low Dexterity and Protocol droids have high Knowledge and low Technical. But with droid pc creation everything must be bought with the creation dice, even equipment which are 1D a piece. I will repost when I get home to the core books.
Meriba
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With your answer, can you please post your references (supplement and page)? Thanks a lot

PS: SWD6 REUP MkII pages 367-400 has all rules or there are more to look at?
Ronin84
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meriba wrote:
With your answer, can you please post your references (supplement and page)? Thanks a lot

PS: SWD6 REUP MkII pages 367-400 has all rules or there are more to look at?

Looked at that as well and nope...still doesn't make sense to me...I am sure it's simple and I am making it harder.

Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think their it's three ways.

Choose a stock droid.

25D in attributes, skills, and equipment.

Have a $ amount and buy the equipment and stuff.
Ronin84
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savar wrote:

Choose a stock droid.

Yep what I am having a hard time with is the count up of the 25D....do you count the skill dice as rated or does each skill just count as 1D?

griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read through all three rule books (1e, 2e, and 2eRE), there are differences in all three. I beginning to see your confusion.

1e: all attributes are 1D, spend 18D on all skills and equipment. No limit to the max dice into one skill. (You could have a Droid with one skill of 19D. 18 plus attribute.) Pg 84- Rules: Droids as Player Characters.

2e: choose droid from droids listed in book add 1D to each attribute plus another 10D to allocate to skills. No skill can be over 13D. Pg 160- Designing a Droid Character.

There is protocol droid character template that follows these rules.

2eRE: (most complicated) total creation dice is 25D. Choose stock droid add up total dice from attributes, skills, and all equipment. Subtract that number from 25 and that is what you have left to "up" your droid. Pg 236- Roleplaying Droids.

There is a protocol droid character template that follows these rules.
Meriba
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much sir! Laughing
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronin84 wrote:
Savar wrote:

Choose a stock droid.

Yep what I am having a hard time with is the count up of the 25D....do you count the skill dice as rated or does each skill just count as 1D?

I'll explain this the best I understand. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
Type: Genetech A2
Accounting/Business
Unit
DEXTERITY 1D
KNOWLEDGE 3D
Bureaucracy 8D, business 8D, value 7D

The Genetech has 18D represented in skills and attributes right here. I'll explain the math.

1D for Dex, 3D for Know. We're up to 4D without a fuss.

Now, Bureaucracy has 8D. However, that is 5D above the attribute. So, I've taken 8-3=5. So, we add 5D to the pool. 4D+5D=9D.

The same is true of business. It is 5D above the attribute. So, I've taken 8-3=5. So, we add 5D to the pool. 5D+9D=14D

The Value skill is 7D. That's 4D above the attribute, and so we'll add that to our pool. 14D+4D=18D.

And you go on to do the same for all of the skills and attributes. If it exceeds 25D, then I'm guessing it is not a legal character. If it is less than 25D, then you get to add attachments that add skill dice to certain rolls. That is to say, if you have a character with only 24D, then you can add a heavy lifting arm that grants +1D to lifting rolls.
Ronin84
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Ronin84 wrote:
Savar wrote:

Choose a stock droid.

I'll explain this the best I understand. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
Type: Genetech A2
Accounting/Business
Unit
DEXTERITY 1D
KNOWLEDGE 3D
Bureaucracy 8D, business 8D, value 7D

The Genetech has 18D represented in skills and attributes right here. I'll explain the math.

1D for Dex, 3D for Know. We're up to 4D without a fuss.

Now, Bureaucracy has 8D. However, that is 5D above the attribute. So, I've taken 8-3=5. So, we add 5D to the pool. 4D+5D=9D.

The same is true of business. It is 5D above the attribute. So, I've taken 8-3=5. So, we add 5D to the pool. 5D+9D=14D

The Value skill is 7D. That's 4D above the attribute, and so we'll add that to our pool. 14D+4D=18D.

And you go on to do the same for all of the skills and attributes. If it exceeds 25D, then I'm guessing it is not a legal character. If it is less than 25D, then you get to add attachments that add skill dice to certain rolls. That is to say, if you have a character with only 24D, then you can add a heavy lifting arm that grants +1D to lifting rolls.

Thanks!! That is what I was looking for!

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's give it a run against a few droids from the complete droid collection..

1st degree.
Cybot Galactica GY-1 info analysis droid.

Dex 2d
Know 3d+1. Planetary systems 3d+2, tactics fleet 4d+2, Tactics star fighters 4d+1
Mech 2d
Per 2d+1
Str 1d+1
Tech 2d. Comp prog/rep 3d+2

So that gives us 12d in attributes, and 4d+1 in skills
Adding to that is
arakyd data storage and data collation software giving +1d to computer rolls for data searching
Data analysis software giving +2d to comp/prog repair rolls, and tactical database software iving +1d to tactics rolls.

So it has 12d in attributes, 4d+1 in skills and 4d in add ons. For a total of 20d+1 assigned.

2nd degree

PG-5 gunnery droid
Dex 1d
Know 1d
Mech 1d. Cap ship gunnery 3d, Cap shields 4d, Comms 3d, sensors 6d, Starship gunnery 3d, Starship shields 4d
Per 1d
Tech 2d. Cap ship weapon repair 5d, Comp prog/rep 4d, Starship weapon repair 5d

So it has 6d in attributes, and 25d of skills, for 31d assigned, but it also has a Scomp link giving it +1d to computer rolls.

3rd degree.
SCM-22 Stenographer droid.
Dex 1d
Know 1d. Business 3d, languages 3d
Mech 1d.
Per 1d. Search 3d
Str 1d
Tech 1d. Comp prog/repair 3d.

So it has 6d in attributes and 8d of skills for only 14d assigned.

Compare that to the
C4LR litigant droid
Dex 1d
Know 2d. Bureaucracy: imperial administration 5d+2, Bureaucracy: court room procedures 5d+2, Cultures 4d+1, Intimidation 4d+1, Law enforcement 6d, Scholar: Imperial law 6d+2
Mech 1d
Per 2d. Bargaining 3d, Persuasion 5d+1
Str 1d
Tech 1d

So it has 8d in attributes and 25d in skills.

That;s just 4 droids gone over, and they are all over the place. Some i feel were over done, others not done enough.
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All but one would be a legal character though.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But all are existing and legal designs from the main books, like the base book, or cyndabars fantastic tech: droids.
Meriba
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are legal designs, but not legal characters, right?

Then, If you want play to play a droid appeared in the book, you should reduce XD to match 25D? A lower, damaged or dysfunctional version of that droid maybe?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the stock droid was too powerful, I would say it is up to the GM's discretion as to whether you nudge it down or disallow it altogether. If it was me, I would say that we could play with the stock stats and just call it a pre-production test model of what would later become the stock droid.

I mean, assuming the player didn't pick something unreasonable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: