The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Boba Fett?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Boba Fett? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Boba Fett? Reply with quote

There are rumors that one of the new non-episodic anthology films is going to center of Boba Fett. I understand Boba Fett is a very popular character, but I really don't understand the appeal. Let's look at his portrayal in the films.

V - Looks cool, check. Figures out that Han is limping to Bespin and informs Vader to set-up the trap, check. "What if he doesn't survive? He's worth a lot to me." Compare/contrast with Han's mercenary attitude from the previous film, check. Shoots at the Jedi trainee to protect his bounty, check.

VI - Stands around Jabba's palace. At Carkoon, jet packs into action, then immediately gets his blaster cut in half and knocked down. Misses Luke at very short range while Luke is dealing with a bunch of Jabba's goons on the next skiff, and a blind Han accidentally activates Fett's jet pack sending him screaming into the air, smacking into the sail barge, and then rolling down (with more screaming) into the Sarlaac.

IV SE+ - Stands there and looks cool at the end of the Jabba scene.

II - Boba's origin. A little kid and son of Jango Fett, a true Mandalorian battle-armored bad@ss bounty hunter who goes toe to toe with Obi-Wan. "I'm just a simple man, trying to make my way in the universe." Establish where Boba gets his mercenary attitude from, check. Establish Boba's hatred for Jedi with seeing a Jedi decapitate his dad, check. The circle is now complete.

Knowing Boba's final fate in RotJ, I felt it was very appropriate in AotC that Boba is clone, as in a mere copy of the original who he idolizes but never lives up to. Star Wars has characters like Artoo and the Ewoks who are little guys you underestimate but surprise you with competence. Boba Fett is the opposite. He is built-up in TESB (and ANH SE and AotC) as a potential bad@ss, and then when it comes down to it, Boba Fett is nothing but a lame joke who literally goes out with a burp in the classic trilogy.

I'm seriously not trying to troll any Boba Fett fans, but it has always been clear to me that Boba Fett's ultimate purpose in the Star Wars films is comedy. I remember my original theatrical viewing of RotJ. The audience erupted into laughter at Boba Fett's comical demise. The joke was effective. So when I hear about a new Boba Fett movie, I'm wondering if it will be a SW comedy?

If not, and the Boba Fett films portrays him as a serious and deadly threat, will anyone else but me be bothered with the discontinuity it may create with the other films? How could any competent bad@ss be the same loser bounty hunter that gets his @ss handed to him accidentally by a blind man and a hole in the ground with teeth? I never liked the EU portrayal of Boba Fett as an honest man who never lies and views the Empire as good because it is lawful and orderly, because IMO that portrayal contradicts the film's simple mercenary who only cares about the pay day.

But then again, the most recent rumor states that the Boba Fett film will take place in a separate universe of the other films, and if that is true, then maybe it will be a universe where Boba Fett actually is a bad@ss like his father.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
DirkCorman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been confirmed by the LF Story Group, that he survived the Sarlacc Pit.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all honesty, I hate that scene in ROTJ for all of the reasons that Whill mentioned.

The day is saved by complete incompetence only because of greater incompetence on the part of the villains.

A waste of film, in my opinion. The characters I'd most like to "see again" include:

Mace Windu

Aayla Secura (a shame how they killed her off in Ep 3... it was too incidental, in my opinion).

Qui-Gon Jinn

Han Solo and/or Chewbaca

Rogue Squadron

Aunt Beru
Whill

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
In all honesty, I hate that scene in ROTJ for all of the reasons that Whill mentioned.

The day is saved by complete incompetence only because of greater incompetence on the part of the villains.

A waste of film, in my opinion.

I love that scene. "The Return of the Jedi" is the name of the score's cue for that scene (the 1997 soundtrack release renamed it "Sail Barge Assault"). I think Boba Fett and blind Han are funny. Still plenty of action and adventure there too.

Man, I feel sorry for you. There is no competent bounty hunter in RotJ. If you don't even like Boba Fett as comedy relief, then there is nothing for you there.

Naaman wrote:
The characters I'd most like to "see again" include:

Mace Windu

Aayla Secura (a shame how they killed her off in Ep 3... it was too incidental, in my opinion).

Qui-Gon Jinn

Han Solo and/or Chewbaca

Rogue Squadron

Aunt Beru

Some of those could be cool, but outside of the sequel trilogy I don't really have any overwhelming urge to see any films about existing characters (especially the ones who we have filmic deaths for already). Give me new stuff.

DirkCorman wrote:
It has been confirmed by the LF Story Group, that he survived the Sarlacc Pit.

I've heard that too, including rumors of him appearing in TFA. To what purpose? More comedy? Or is it to have a real villain to live up to all the unfulfilled potential and fan love for him? If Boba Fett is revealed to not really be a blundering idiot, then how do they explain his laughable appearance in RotJ? Boba Fett picked up a debilitating spice addiction with all the money Jabba paid for Han's bounty?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trooper in chrome, could that be Fett?

And to him not being the bad@ss we think him to be, Vader told him no disintegration. Had Fett just disintegrate the bounties he was after or is that what he told whom ever he was collecting the bounty from.

" so where's the body Fett?"
"Uh, I disintegrated it, yah that's right disintegrated. Where's the money."
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "trooper in chrome", is Captain Phasma, portrayed by Gwendoline Christie aka Brienne of Tarth in Game of Thrones.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right.
griff wrote:
...could that be Fett?

Rumor has it that Max von Sydow will play Boba Fett, which is just stupid because the actor is about 30 years older than the character would be. Unless Boba Fett has lived on Tatooine since he went into the Sarlaac and they want to just continue the "Tatooine-effect" aging...
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having Max Van Sydow (who has played both Christ and the devil, both well) play Boba Fett is like having Michelangelo take your photograph or Bach DJ your birthday party.

Last edited by griff on Tue May 26, 2015 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Whill

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

griff wrote:
Having Max Van Sydow (who has played both Christ and the devil, both well) play Boba Fett is like having Michelangelo take your photograph of Bach DJ your birthday party.

I may just have to make that my signature! Laughing
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Boba Fett? Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
There are rumors that one of the new non-episodic anthology films is going to center of Boba Fett. I understand Boba Fett is a very popular character, but I really don't understand the appeal. Let's look at his portrayal in the films.

*snip*

He is built-up in TESB (and ANH SE and AotC) as a potential bad@ss, and then when it comes down to it, Boba Fett is nothing but a lame joke who literally goes out with a burp in the classic trilogy.

I'm going to nit pick a very small point here, because that's what I do, and that's why y'all love me (or at the very least, refrain from loathing me out of your great benevolence). I'm not sure that Fett was built up to be so awesome. At least, not by the writers.

IIRC Lucas commented in the RotJ audio commentary on the 2004 DVD release that he kind of thought of Fett as just a standard goon, and he didn't really realize that the guy was considered so important. If he had realized he had such a big fan build up, "I would have taken more care in killing him off."

So, if there is a build up, then it's on the part of the fans, EU writers, etc. On screen, he's a bag of tricks that appears on the screen for a few seconds, utters a few lines of dialog, and then he's gone. He's important to the plot to get Han and Leia captured, but that's his main purpose.

All that said, I remember when they had EU comics and whatnot about Fett coming back, again... and again. I kinda felt like it cheapened it. Over the years I've kind of gotten used to the idea of him surviving the pit. If it's what happens in the films, then it's what happens.

I've heard some rumors about what they're going to have Max von Sydow doing (namely that of being Fett), but I'm really hoping that we get to see something where his presence and voice are felt in whatever role he plays.

Whill wrote:
griff wrote:
Having Max Van Sydow (who has played both Christ and the devil, both well) play Boba Fett is like having Michelangelo take your photograph of Bach DJ your birthday party.

I may just have to make that my signature! Laughing

I think there is an imperfect moral duty that SOMEONE ought to make that their sig.
Ning Leihrec
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Van Sydow's geriatric Boba is a clone thing. Advanced aging once he matures too far past his prime. Keeps buyers in the market for clones coming back to Kamino for fresh bodies.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Boba Fett? Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I'm not sure that Fett was built up to be so awesome. At least, not by the writers.

IIRC Lucas commented in the RotJ audio commentary on the 2004 DVD release that he kind of thought of Fett as just a standard goon, and he didn't really realize that the guy was considered so important. If he had realized he had such a big fan build up, "I would have taken more care in killing him off."

So, if there is a build up, then it's on the part of the fans, EU writers, etc. On screen, he's a bag of tricks that appears on the screen for a few seconds, utters a few lines of dialog, and then he's gone. He's important to the plot to get Han and Leia captured, but that's his main purpose.

I completely agree, and I see my post above has some poorly-worded phrasing. What I was trying to say is, that Boba Fett was never actually cool in any film. He just looked cool to the fans in TESB. He has cool armor with weapons and a jet pack. He looked like he could do all these awesome things, so his potential for bad@ssery all came from fan perception.

For me, it started in 1978 with the animated sequence of the Holiday Special. And then excitement was built further by saving 5 proof-of-purchases from SW action figure cards and mailing them in to get the free special advance Boba Fett action figure in the mail (that and blue snaggletooth are the only two vintage figures I still have from my childhood). But then when TESB came in 1980, Boba Fett didn't really do much. But he looked cool, and there was that potential. Then in RotJ, he became a joke. But I wasn't really disgruntled or let down, because I thought the unexpected twist was entertaining.

In my SWU Boba Fett is a bit more than a standard goon (a couple step up from Greedo for sure), but he was certainly no bad@ss. In light of the prequels, I view Boba as having an inherited name and reputation that gave him an intimidation factor that was really undeserved. I think he may have become adept at taking advantage of that reputation and letting some of his quarry catch themselves.

cheshire wrote:
I remember when they had EU comics and whatnot about Fett coming back, again... and again. I kinda felt like it cheapened it. Over the years I've kind of gotten used to the idea of him surviving the pit. If it's what happens in the films, then it's what happens.

I vaguely remember the Marvel comic issue where he survived the Sarlacc and ends up getting dumped by a jawa sandcrawler back into Sarlacc. Han even tried to save him. The joke continued. Then I was so pumped about Dark Empire, but so let down by it. It brought the Emperor and Boba Fett back to life (and with horrible artwork). It was so lame and uninspired. I read Boba's original EU origin, and some other EU appearances where they had created this entire anti-filmic persona that had nothing to do with the joke.

Then Jango Fett was realized as the Fett the fans always wanted. A real bad@ss that held his own against a Jedi Knight film hero and even killed a background Jedi before being killed by a master. But Jango Fett didn't really have a significant purpose in the overall saga. He seemed to be almost pure fan service. I do not view Jango as any sort of discontinuity with adult Boba's comedic portrayal in the films. It's a bit of irony that the apple falls far from the tree, despite Boba being a clone of Jango. It speaks towards the nurture argument of nature vs. nurture. From the film, we don't know hardly anything about Jango's past, but it is likely that he was an only child who watched his father die at age 9 or 10 like Boba. In TESB, all Boba cares about is the money from Han's bounty which highlights Han's greed from his former mercenary life, but in AotC, Boba is somewhat comparable to Anakin who is separated from his only parent at age 9 or 10 in the previous film and watched his only parent die earlier in the same film.

Then Lucas was interviewed for StarWars.com and said that in his personal Star Wars universe (distinct from the publishing/money-machine EU), Boba Fett did not survive the Sarlacc, the Emperor did not survive as a clone, Luke never got married, etc. Most of what he said resonated for me, so Boba Fett was dead in my SWU too. So we'll see what happens in the new films, but JJ is a SW fan himself and he even said he wanted to include Jar Jar's bones in a scene, which means he has fans in mind, so regardless of who the actor is there is a good chance Boba Fett will be in the new film.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ning Leihrec wrote:
Maybe Van Sydow's geriatric Boba is a clone thing. Advanced aging once he matures too far past his prime. Keeps buyers in the market for clones coming back to Kamino for fresh bodies.

But Boba is a rare if not unique clone in that he was completely unaltered. The vast majority of clones are altered with growth acceleration so they become battle-ready in 9-10 years instead of 18-20 years. The clone army was made for the Republic, and sure, the Kaminoans may have wanted the Republic to keep coming back for more clones (which is a good argument why the growth acceleration would be permanent throughout a clonetrooper's life). Boba was just made as part of Jango's payment and had nothing to do with all that.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Boba Fett? Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I vaguely remember the Marvel comic issue where he survived the Sarlacc and ends up getting dumped by a jawa sandcrawler back into Sarlacc. Han even tried to save him. The joke continued. Then I was so pumped about Dark Empire, but so let down by it. It brought the Emperor and Boba Fett back to life (and with horrible artwork). It was so lame and uninspired. I read Boba's original EU origin, and some other EU appearances where they had created this entire anti-filmic persona that had nothing to do with the joke.

Boba's death was a joke, like so many other things in that scene.

But do you know who laughed hardest? Jodo Kast.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Boba Fett? Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Boba's death was a joke, like so many other things in that scene.

But do you know who laughed hardest? Jodo Kast.

In most of my SWUs, Jodo Kast was a villain who ended up getting killed before Boba Fett. However, in two of my universes that diverged from sequel film canon, Boba Fett himself was killed by PCs (and not comically).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: