The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Help Please with Conversion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Help Please with Conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject: Help Please with Conversion Reply with quote

I'm doing a D6 Conversion on the Mouldy Crow, Kyle Katarn's original starship in the Dark Forces games and am using the Rebellion's conversion guidelines. Everything is going pretty well as it goes so far. But I'm curious as to what the DR in the stats stands for. Is it some kind of modifier for the hull?

Wanted Poster
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Help Please with Conversion Reply with quote

Hellcat wrote:
I'm doing a D6 Conversion on the Mouldy Crow, Kyle Katarn's original starship in the Dark Forces games and am using the Rebellion's conversion guidelines. Everything is going pretty well as it goes so far. But I'm curious as to what the DR in the stats stands for. Is it some kind of modifier for the hull?

Damage Reduction. It's kind of like a flat soak rate. Like, instead of rolling 2D and the result is subtracted from any damage taken, you just have a flat 7 damage reduced from any attack.

DR doesn't have a direct equivelant in D6, though I'd take it into account when determining Hull codes.

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so if I treat it like it were extra armor and then say that the base armor rating for the grow is 10 and the DR rating of 10 adds two elements of 5 over the base armor, which would give me an extra 2D, 1D for every 5 points over the base armor based on the Rebellion's conversion guidelines. So after dividing 120 by 30 to get a hull ratting of 4D by following their guideline, I add the 2D to give the Crow a hull rating of 6D, kinda like the Falcon's. I can work with that.

So here is what I get for the converted stats:

Quote:
Moldy Crow
Craft: Corellian Engineering Corporation HWK-290 light freighter
Type: Transport
Scale: Starfighter
Length: 29 meters
Crew: 1 to 2
Crew Skill: Varies
Passengers: 6
Cargo Capacity: 150 metric tons
Consumables: 1 month
Cost: Not available for sale
Hyperdrive: x2
Hyperdrive Backup: n/a
Nav Computer: Yes
Maneuverability: 2D
Space: 6
Atmosphere: 330; 950 kmh
Hull Points: 6D
Shield Points: 2D
Sensors:
Passive: 30/1D
Scan: 60/2D
Search: 75/3D
Focus: 4/4D
Weapons:
4 Double Laser Cannons
Fire Arc: Front
Skill: Starship gunnery
Fire Control: 3D
Space Range: 1-3/12/25
Atmosphere Range: 100-300/1.2/2.5 km
Damage: 4D
Blaster Cannon
Fire Arc: Turret
Scale: Speeder
Skill: Vehicle blasters
Fire Control: 3D
Atmosphere Range: 1-50/100/250
Damage: 4D

The one thing I don't like is not giving the ship a hyperdrive backup. I checked some of the Rebellions Web Feature conversions that listed a backup against what WotC says on their site and they appear to like to list any backup in parenthesies on the site. But they don't do so for the Crow, so I'm really not sure what I'm going to do with that. I really can't see Kyle and Jan being so stupid that they wouldn't modify the Crow to have one if it didn't already come with one.

Wanted Poster
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellcat wrote:
The one thing I don't like is not giving the ship a hyperdrive backup. I checked some of the Rebellions Web Feature conversions that listed a backup against what WotC says on their site and they appear to like to list any backup in parenthesies on the site. But they don't do so for the Crow, so I'm really not sure what I'm going to do with that. I really can't see Kyle and Jan being so stupid that they wouldn't modify the Crow to have one if it didn't already come with one.

One thing about the hyperdrive backup is that it's a whole other hyperdrive unit. Some people sacrifice the extra safety net (and be honest, how far are you going to get on a x30 or something anyway?) for more modification space or cargo room. I can see these mercs doing something like that.

Though if you don't think that's something they'd do, just slap a mid-grade backup hyperdrive in there. Maybe a x15.

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the scales in D6 do the job of the DR in D20. It just prevents something smaller from doing alot of damage to something bigger. I prefer a straight 30 hull points= 1D approach.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedFox wrote:

One thing about the hyperdrive backup is that it's a whole other hyperdrive unit. Some people sacrifice the extra safety net (and be honest, how far are you going to get on a x30 or something anyway?) for more modification space or cargo room. I can see these mercs doing something like that.

I realize that a hyperdrive backup is a whole different hyperdrive from the hyperdrive multiplier listing. It's usually considerably slower so as to be something to let you basically limp through hyperspace, though I've never seen a Class 30 hyperdrive listing that I can remember, that's just plain too slow, about like being a snail traveling a mile's distance. Though it would still be better than not having a hyperdrive backup and getting stuck in some backwater system where there's no place to get a new hyperdrive and the next time a ship will come through the system is fifty years away.

You say the DR may actually be a deal concerning scale differences, MA-3PO? Intresting. If that's the case, then the Crow's hull code comes out to 4D instead of 6D.

Wanted Poster
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I read somewhere that backup hyperdrives burn out after one jump. Does anyone know where this is?
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellcat wrote:
RedFox wrote:

I realize that a hyperdrive backup is a whole different hyperdrive from the hyperdrive multiplier listing. It's usually considerably slower so as to be something to let you basically limp through hyperspace, though I've never seen a Class 30 hyperdrive listing that I can remember, that's just plain too slow, about like being a snail traveling a mile's distance. Though it would still be better than not having a hyperdrive backup and getting stuck in some backwater system where there's no place to get a new hyperdrive and the next time a ship will come through the system is fifty years away.

I've seen backups that slow before. And honestly I've ended up often stranded with just a backup hyperdrive. While they're usually a x13 or so, that's still not very good. Situations where the nearest system would take me months or years to get to with the hyperdrive backup and I had nowhere near the supplies to make it that far.

S'why I've come to the conclusion that they're often useless. Smile

Quote:
You say the DR may actually be a deal concerning scale differences, MA-3PO? Intresting. If that's the case, then the Crow's hull code comes out to 4D instead of 6D.

Like I said, it's Damage Reduction. Whether that's intended to reflect scale or not is debateable.

I have Star Wars stuff!
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "B.O.B." has a Back-Up Hyperdrive that's decent.

X1.

Yes, we're stupidly rich.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: