The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Attacking Through Weapons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Attacking Through Weapons Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ragnar wrote:

but dodge is a reaction skill, telekinesis is not.

Wow...

What a very narrow interpretation of the rules.

In Episode 2, Yoda used telekenesis to block Count Dooku's telekinetic attack in the hanger - not once, but twice. In the RPG, this would have to be a reaction to Count Dooku's attack. Yes? No?

"Hear you nothing that I say? You must unlearn what you have learned."
- Yoda
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it's too bad things don't work that way according to WEG rules. If yoda were role playing HE WOULD HAVE TO HAVE DODGED. Mad
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The description for Danger Sense says that the Jedi knows who is going to attack him the round before it actually happens. If this is the case, the Jedi can perform any action he prefers the next round when the attack takes place. Assuming the Jedi character is also using Combat Sense, he can determine exactly when he is acting in the round. I would think that these two things combined would give the Jedi the ability to use Telekinesis to block/deflect bullets. He could declare that he is using Telekinesis to block the bullet that will be coming at him, and he wants to act immediately after his opponent fires his weapon. I suppose if he really wanted to, he could choose to act before his opponent and just use Telekinesis to pull the weapon out of his opponent's hand, completely negating the need to even block any bullets... Very Happy

Ragnar wrote:
well it's too bad things don't work that way according to WEG rules. If yoda were role playing HE WOULD HAVE TO HAVE DODGED.

That's why this discussion is under "House Rules". GMs can modify any rules as they see fit in their campaign. If Yoda were roleplaying in Volar's campaign, he could have used Telekinesis to block the attack, because Volar (as GM) can allow that. If Yoda were roleplaying in Ragnar's campaign, he would have had to dodge the attack, because Ragnar (as GM) said so. Wink

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading "Specter of the Past" by Timothy Zahn, and there's a passage in there that I feel is relevent to the current discussion.

"On sudden impulse, he stretched out and ignited the weapon,bringing the green blade snapping out to point directly at the bomb. The blade shoud disintergrate whatever shrapnel hit it, providing at least some protection for the handle and the mechanism inside"

So it seems to me that a bullet would be disintergrated and not deflected or melt.

Just thought people would like to know. Very Happy

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, what loc said makes sense, but if you chose to use danger and combat sense, then telekinesis you would have multiple action penalties making your roll a lot harder because stopping a tiny extremely fast object or many tiny fast objects would be hard to focus on with telekinesis. I would think a smart person would just rather dodge because it is easier.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with LocTaal. The director has final say.
Volo Enrunk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i wasn't around for the discussion but i also agree with Loc on the danger/combat sence but in the event a jedi does actually have to parry the bullet i would assume it gets disolved in the energy since bullets are very small in mass and not wider than the gerth of the blade. however they can't be reflected becuz there not energy like a blaster is. as far as using tele to stop it? he could try but projectiles move fast and are still leathal at speeds of around 300 fps easily jedi can only control and objects speed to how much...? i'd say if he tried to tele the bullet to a stop it would still hit him just slower i'd reduce the damage but if he has lesser force shield up and tries it he could probly not take any damage from it that way. now a larger projectile like a shell from a tank would be bad if your jedi wants to parry that well he's a little dumb and i'd probly frag him with whats left of it. depending on its size as far as cutting thru other things bulk heads and hulls what i do is i roll the objects str code and get an actual total and use them like hit points then you have to deal that much damage to it before it will colapse,

example" my jedi tried to cut thru the deck into the comand room to make a 2m circle shape i figured this would be 2wice the str of a normal reinforced door 6d x2 for being larger then he had to do that much damage to it over time and i'd say this round you cut about 1/3 of the way thru depending on how much damage he did.
also jedi use the force to increase/decrease there damage with there sabers the weapon its self only does 5d while mostly energy it must have some mass to it i would think and therefore can be deflect or not penetrate i think of it as a plasma torch short range lots of damage. and they can cut thru x cubic meters in so much time those are the rules i like to use when my jedi try and hack up things that are not explained.
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as for the larger projectile, it would depend on the range. Say if point blank the jedi could still use tele, but the shell would go off nearby close enough the affect the jedi.

Now, I saw an episode of Clone Wars where a Jedi Master tele-ed some torpedoes. It looked cool, and if it looks cool cinematically, then I'll allow it. Just one of my House Rules. Anyway, I think in those instances, tele may be an option available. I wouldn't totally forget about dodging though, it is easier to do.

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rathe has a point, the game is supposed to be cinematic.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Volo Enrunk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very true but i was speaking in an unknown within 100m kinda thing...
Wookie rage
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Science nerds anyone? Ok, it's sad that I know this, but light despite what you may think, acts as though it has mass and as though it doesn't. It also acts in waves. This has been a problem for physists forever. I'd say, give it mass, and as for projectile weapons, if the projectile is the width of the lightsaber or smaller, just give them that it evaporates as it hits the lightsaber.

"Let's just say we'd like to avoid any Imperial entanglements." ~Obi Wan Kenobi
Wookie rage
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the main topic I would just use the rules for protection and try to modify it accordingly. blasters are a metal, not very big so maybe 3D (Standard Metal Door) and for wooden weapons such as a bow I'd say use 2D (such as a standard wooden door). If you can break though a metal door with 3D, I'd say you could break a blaster with the same strength roll.

"Let's just say we'd like to avoid any Imperial entanglements." ~Obi Wan Kenobi
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True... but blaster bolts are not lasers, they behave nothing like lasers.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blasters fire "Bolts" of Superheated Gasses (Blaster Gas) that are contained in a Magnetic Bubble that will burst when it hits something particularily solid...

Unless said something is Magnetically Shielded, then it gets messed up, and simply repulses off everything until it hits something non-magnetic (Read: Biological Organisms). (If you don't believe me, then you've forgotten the Trash Compactor Scene).

The "Laser" effect is from the Superheated Gas moving at sub-sonic speeds, which is why you can see it (True Lasers working at the speed of light.).

Almost all the Weapons Technology in Star Wars is based on Blasters, even "Laser Cannons" on starships (They were called "Lasers" 'cause it sounded cool, and would probably sell more units than "Blasters" would).

Blasters are a staple of both Hard Sci-Fi and Space Opera, and, aside from the different methods (If any) of containing the Superheated Gas, always work on the same principle... A really hot group of gas that flash boils whatever it hits. Twisted Evil
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damaged Weapons
Pg. 95 In The Star Wars Roleplaying Game; Revised and Expanded

Weapons can suffer damage in combat, such as when a lightsaber slices through a blaster or vibroweapon, or a weapon gets dropped, or as a result of a "complication" that leads to a serious malfunction.
If a weapon is damaged, roll its body strength to resist damage. Most hand weapons -- such as blaster pistols, vibro-axes and so forth -- have a body strength of 2D (regardless of how much damage they cause).

Damage Roll > Body Strength Roll by: = Weapon Is:

• 0-3 = Not Seriously Damaged
  • 4-8 = Lightly Damaged
  • 9-12 = Heavily Damaged
  • 13-15 = Severely Damaged
  • 16+ = Destroyed

Lightly Damaged weapons lose -1D off their damage value
Heavily Damaged weapons lose -2D off their damage and +10 to all difficulties to use in combat.
Severely Damaged weapons cannot be used, but may be repaired.
Destroyed weapons may not be repaired.

Weapon Repairs are discussed in the "Using Repair Skills" section in "Attributes and Skills."

Note: Damage to ordinary objects can also becovered using this rule. Pick the object's body strength and compare the rolll to the damage roll. Find the result on the chart above.

That's the Official stuff on damaging weapons... but, that still doesn't answer my question on whether or not a person is able to slice through a weapon, and another person with a single swing of their vibro-blade.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: