The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Scaling and when you can't dodge??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Scaling and when you can't dodge??
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Scaling and when you can't dodge?? Reply with quote

Thought i asked a similar question several years back, but looking for it i didn't see it.. So here goes.

Lets say a PC's freighter (or fighter) is dead in the water (main power or engines and maneuvering have been shut down). A cap ship sits in front of it lining up its capital scale weaponry.
Since the PC ship can't dodge, does the scale diff, just get added to the base range diff?
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say an unmoving target will automatically get hit by a competent shooter. In these situations it really more a speed of plot and common sense situation. I suppose you could give the scale difference but there would be no dodge, no maneuverability bonus etc. Of course a +6D to the target difficulty is pretty monstrous. My guess is that taking your time to shoot the smaller ship would ignore the scale difference instead of giving a +1D modifier.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Scaling and when you can't dodge?? Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Thought i asked a similar question several years back, but looking for it i didn't see it.. So here goes.

Lets say a PC's freighter (or fighter) is dead in the water (main power or engines and maneuvering have been shut down). A cap ship sits in front of it lining up its capital scale weaponry.
Since the PC ship can't dodge, does the scale diff, just get added to the base range diff?

I'm sure that there would be all kinds of time to take a round to line up the shot. Maybe two rounds... or three. I would say those would stack to give some hefty bonuses.
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should just hit. Unless in a combat situation, then it should be a roll at range mod only.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The amount of time spent "aiming" has almost no effenct on the likelihood of hitting: especially when dealing with electronic fire control systems.

Unless the cap gunner is being shot at or is under a time pressure, then I'd say just let him shoot till he hits (he can "walk" his rounds onto target).

Allpw the scale mod, and give a bonus for each additional shot fired as he zeroes in on target.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason i was asking was a day dream concerning a game session in England i had way back, where the party fought planetary security fighters, all of which had twin medium ion turrets (two apiece with a gunner in each) and a single heavy forward firing, along with a system patrol craft (iirc two heavy cap ions, four cap turbos and four cap twin heavy laser cannons in the forward arc).. Several times in the combat, we on the Party ship, came real close to getting fully shut down from the ion cannons of the fighters.

After the game session ended, the DM made note to us that "as per his write up for that battle, IF the fighters had shut us down, they would sit just half a SU away so personal comlinks would be in range, and the Cap ship would sit in front of us 1SU away, guns trained on us. We would have gotten a message to all make our way to the airlock and space ourselves in our vac suits to be picked up as prisoners, and had 1 minute to comply or the cap ship would open on us with the Turbos.

One of the game sessions at Origins made me think of that, and i have been day dreaming about it since..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: