The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Mounts in D6 are useless???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Mounts in D6 are useless???
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:28 am    Post subject: Mounts in D6 are useless??? Reply with quote

Okay anyone look at the Long-Distance movement for characters, which applies to creatures???

If you haven't - please do.

*Rant Warning*

Now - WTF BLOODY FRIGGIN HELL WEG????!!!!

HOW are mounts supposed to be ANY use?

for crying out loud most of the pack animals have slower speed than a human and next to no Stamina and use the same movement rules???

NO animal in print - save the Dewback (whos speed is basically logisctically impossible and in fact untrue according to the D20 Revised Core Rulebook) is really capable of being any use.

OHHHHHHHHHHH wait with a Stamina roll required as it is because it counts a character, on average that 4D Strength (no Stamina listing AGAIN) will FAIL on the 4th check while trying to catch the bad guy - able to outrun a krayt my arse - not unless those native dewbacks are running for cover tat krayt can't fit into cuss it WILL catch up cuss that 12D Stamina means it can RUN and RUN and RUN.

*End Rant*

Okay sorry about that. Now - does anyone have ideas on how to make improvements to mount animals.?

Should the rules count them as vehicles instead? Maybe only for terms of high and all-out speeds?

Should such animals get Stamina increases? If so, what do you all think would be a good number?
klhaviation
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use speed codes from 1st edition to resolve chases instead of the rather crunchy 2nd movement rules... in lieu of that an opposed Dex +move roll to resolve.chases works too. Dont worry about stanima unless the chase lasts more than 10-20 roinds... for long range movement as a pack animal... dont evem worry about it... just keep the story moving. If they are being pushed hard by the characters, roll stamina/strength at gm discretion from time to time to see if they become fatugued....
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never really seen any issues with mounts, other than most people prefer using tech vice animals, as they won't have to worry about the orinary rating..
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all you got is 2Re, the simple fix is.....

Change the stats! Give a stamina bonus to creatures who are trained or bred as mounts. Increase their speed rating to 14 or 15... something that is beyond the capacity of even trained human beings.

Though, if memory serves, on Earth, humans are the fastest overland creatures (the longer the journey, the more advantage the humans have).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. As such, higher base speed but lower average stamina would be appropriate.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the things said above don't change the fact that within their own game rules they made the mount/pack animals completely worthless.

I do have to ask does anyone know where The REUP got their rules for forced march? because that makes things even worse.

The biggest thing is the fact of mounts going by character rules and then them having no stamina.

the dewback as I stated is THE best mount in existence according to its listings and is in fact all but impossible in realistic terms (its speed namely - which is then corrected in the d20 system to be appropriate).

And yet it simply CANNOT outrun its natural predator - the krayt - in fact the only way for the dewback to actually get away is to run off and then hide and hope that the krayt doesn't find it and dig it out. That's fine in my book - but then when you give animals meant to be mounts no stamina and a str often less than most slightly stronger races and penalize their movement to be that of a characters - that means yer looking at me and saying that horses cant outrun humans and that wookiees make better pack animals that dewbacks.

No Stamina - No increases to carry. - Strength often less than a humans maximum.

Now if the mounts were often speeder scale - okay - but they aren't. Rarely are creatures even given a scale - and when they do (cough - rancor - cough) they f that up to and give them monstrous increases to str on top of the scale increase.

And as far as I can tell we have NO rules or even suggestions for how scale is supposed to interact with skill rolls.

gonna tell me a creature the size of a mack truck has 4D str (starfighter scale) and has the same difficulties as a human? right.

Well I know what I did - and I plan to continue.

I'm making most creatures deemed to mounts as speeder scale or larger and for each size above character am reduces lift/carry rolls by a difficulty. On top of that I am giving them appropriate stamina according to their intended designs.

I am a BIG fan of the fact that star wars is a space opera style of story world - thus it includes lesser tech level usage all the way down to swordplay being common. The fact that animals are sooo lackluster as to not give any real use other than target practice disappoints me greatly.
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont mind me I guess I blind - some of them in gry's collection book are stated what I would consider appropriately - while many are sill not and I guess I spoke a bit out of line before seeing evidence that not everything was messed up.

I do still have issues with the movement rules and some of the stats of obvious mount based creatures and such. But I have calmed down a bit and ask forgiveness for some diarrhea of the mouth.

It's been a bad day I guess... apologies.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where exactly are you looking at for getting this "long distance movement" for characters versus mounts" from?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple points...

1) My read of the long distance movement rules for characters is that they only apply to characters / creatures moving All-Out. As such, a mount with a higher Move than a human will be able to cover greater distances than a character on foot, so long as the rider isn't pushing the creature for all it's worth.

2) One additional advantage is that, since the mount is à separate creature, it could be argued that the rider is not subject to the rule against making other actions while traveling at All-Out speed. After all, the mount is the one doing the moving.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tetsuoh wrote:
Dont mind me I guess I blind - some of them in gry's collection book are stated what I would consider appropriately - while many are sill not and I guess I spoke a bit out of line before seeing evidence that not everything was messed up.

I do still have issues with the movement rules and some of the stats of obvious mount based creatures and such. But I have calmed down a bit and ask forgiveness for some diarrhea of the mouth.

It's been a bad day I guess... apologies.

Yep. I just change or ignore the rules I dont like. In fact, Im not sure if there is any rule that I havent modified or outright axed and replaced.
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mounts being useless where their stats are concerned is not the point. The purpose of mounts in Star Wars is that there fun to have. And sometimes technology is not available or inappropriate. The Rebels were using tauntauns because speeders were not ready. Stormtroopers were using dewback because the sand would kill their technology. Yes they're slow, yes they're onery, and the smell, and they smell worse on the inside. But that's the point.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did Beastriding become such a hot-button issue?? Laughing

I don't recall any high speed chases involving mounted animals, but our players have used Beastriding a few times over the years, mostly to get from A to B when speeders were impractical or unavailable. Nor do I remember any long range riding rules, but it has been a while...

Mostly we assumed that most herd animals either use group tactics to outwit (the old you don't have to outrun the bear, just outrun your buddy joke) or increased stamina to outlast a single or small pack of predators. Shooting the pursuing predators is also a good option if you and your mount are forced to flee. Are your players diversifying into dewback ranching? Just curious what circumstances brought this to light.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The few times i have used mounts, it was also in pre-space tech like worlds to get around. Or when stranded and they were using herd animals to ride.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: