The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Introductory Adventure Set questions...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> Introductory Adventure Set questions...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Introductory Adventure Set questions... Reply with quote

Freedom for Edan (a.k.a. the Introductory Adventure set) is probably my WEG obsession- I love the scope and variety of the scenarios, the expansive, open-world feel... everything about it is tops. But occasionally, when running through it, I run into a few uncertainties. Love to hear your thoughts...

#1. (Reposted from another thread) In the intro to the beginning of the adventures, the book notes "By the end of the fifth scenario, the characters may have as many as four starfighters at their command."

I keep wondering if I'm missing something. I count the salvaged Y-wing, the Y-wing aboard the Bothan Whale, and the X-wing aboard the Last Hope. Maybe this little blurb is just an error, or they're considering a Lambda class shuttle as a starfighter and including the possibility that it could be seized in the second scenario? Otherwise, I don't know where they came up with 4.

#2. In episode 4, Shelia Jalahaffi is introduced, with her brother teles debuting in the next episode. Both are spoken of (along with Locux Hyen) as major villains, the Vader and Fett of this/ongoing campaigns. Their menace is extreme, and they represent the ultimate threat. Or, they're supposed to.

In terms of Force Powers, they have absorb/dissipate, control pain, life detection, lightsaber combat, and sense force. Their control is insufficient for absorb/dissipate to be likely effective against a blaster shot (so no 'Vader in ESB' moments for them)- and that basically makes them standard black hats that can muster up 8D for both use and damage with a lightsaber, and probably shrug off injuries with control pain. Not exactly terrifying- yeah, that saber will make you pretty dead, if they can get close enough... but it can still be dodged or outrun, and cinematically, it's not exactly a shock-and-awe moment. They're basically just super-swordsmen.

The introductory adventure set doesn't even have rules for Force Grip or Lightning, or even Force Leap (which could be used to good cinematic effect) and only preliminary telekenesis- perhaps just for simplicity's sake. Do you think that the Jalahaffi's power set should be beefed up (as one of the few Dark Jedi actually encountered in official WEG modules, they're not exactly terrifying as statted) or, since this is a game for beginning or low-level players, should they be left as-is, with descriptively-dull but still entirely-deadly powers as anything else risks just making them needlessly-invincible player-killers?

That's it for now...

Hard core OT, all the way!
strongarm85
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1. They're also referring to the Imperial Shuttle that was used by the Empire to investigate the crashed Rebel Blockade Runner.

#2. It depends on how you run the adventure.

The adventure is designed to be run with players using premade character templates included i the introductory box set, especially since full character creation rules are not included with the Introductory box set, or if your using characters with more experience. Those characters would be fairly underwhelming as far as force powers go as well, most of them having only 1D in each available force skill, and only the failed Jedi actually owns a Lightsaber.

Bare in mind that when the PCs actually encounter those 3 "threats" that they also have to fight off squads of storm troopers at the same time.
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1: Aha! I'd never considered that! Thanks, strongarm85!

#2: It's tough... I had an RA-7 droid that had just started out, but he 'sniper shot' stun blasted both Jalahaffis (a good roll and a few character points), which made them fairly underwhelming. But my new group is a bit underpowered, so I don't want to amp things up too much. On the other hand, a little shock-and-awe would still be nice (even if it was narrative-only and didn't actually threaten the characters game-mechanic-wise), which swinging a saber really well just doesn't provide. Smile

Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, a new conundrum. In the course of Chapter 3's opening, the PCs ditched the salvaged Y-wing. I put an inexperienced crew in it to shake things up, so I feel a bit responsible (and thus prone to be lenient in the following battle)... but a freak accident of the initial hit was the random die for the Lightly Damaged result destroying the Y-wing's only functional weapons system... so the TIE-destruction was kind of inevitable, and the PCs started talking about ejection rather than even trying to fight almost immediately, rather than trying to still combat or jam the TIE.

Regardless, the loss of the Y-wing makes things a little tricky. It means that, apparently, the PCs will have to leave behind ALL weaponry (everything they just acquired from the convoy, which will doubtless irritate them... but even their stating weapons) when they enter Fortuna City (or knowing my players, try to smuggle something in and make things difficult for themselves)... and it also means that they will have a party of 5 sentients and one pit droid to try and fit into a single Y-Wing to escape the Bothan Whale (and to be transported around by it thereafter), which... I don't know if that's even possible. Smile

I'm trying to decide how best to deal with it. 4 options occur to me:

1. During the cliffhanger-resolution TIE bomber assault, have a small Imperial transport land to be captured, which can fill the Y-wing's roll as weapon/person transport and dock with the Bothan Whale. Narratively expedient, but I'm leaning against it as it almost seems a reward/upgrade for abandoning the precious salvaged Y-wing... and I could see some of my players saying "Now we can pass for Imperials- let's go storm the Havoc right now!"

2. Have the PCs steal a small civilian ship, unarmed, on the outskirts of Fortuna City. This way, there's something to carry a few weapons to the Whale, and a few people that wouldn't fit in the new Y-wing. Less of an advantage than a captured Imperial ship, there's still no real narrative reason for it, as they plan on flying to a city on the southern continent and getting transport there... thus in their minds, they'd be stealing it solely to transport their stash of loot and not have to leave it behind, which probably isn't a mindset to encourage. Wink

3. Say "Tough! You made your bed, now lie in it! You lose your weapons, and you gotta figure out a way off the Whale, not my problem." Which, again, even though they didn't take proper steps to keep the Y-wing, I feel responsible enough for putting the non-regular pilot in there at the adventure's start (to put people out of their comfort zones) that this seems a little jerkish.

4. Similar to the above, say "Tough!" when it comes to the total loss of weapons (maybe there are a couple of blasters in the new Y-wing cockpit or something), but also provide a small civilian craft in the Whale's hangar, so that at least they have two ships and enough room to escape with/transport on the new continent.

Any thoughts in figuring out which direction to take this would be appreciated.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am leaning to 2. Let them (if they think about it) try to steal a civilian craft, JUST big enough to fit them all, but since its civilian it most likely is not that combat worthy.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm torn between 2 and 4. I'd try to wait as long as possible and let my players come up with a plan (mine would likely try to steal some craft), but I'd probably have them stumble across at least a few basic weapons.
Panzerjedi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a side tangent, any one developed this adventure more for, more experienced RPGers with D6 SW? If one wanted to do that, is there any good sugestions one would have for such?? 8)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: