The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Starting Force Using characters
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Starting Force Using characters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rake
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Starting Force Using characters Reply with quote

How many dice do force users receive during character creation to distributer between control, sense and alter?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Staring Force Using characters Reply with quote

Rake wrote:
How many dice do force users receive during character creation to distribute between control, sense and alter?

Per R&E p. 32, "Force Skills. With the permission of the gamemaster, you may choose to give a Force-sensitive character Force skills. There are three Force skills: control, sense and alter. You can give your character 1D in a Force skill at a cost of 1D of attribute dice."

So a character could start with up to three Force skills at the cost of 1D in attributes each, meaning your character would have only 17D, 16D or 15D in total attributes dice.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill speaks the truth.

I've mentioned it in another thread, but this document may come in handy for you. It's a breakdown of how to create characters in D6. Though, someone pointed out that there was a typo somewhere in it, though I think this is the updated version:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7qsYJkKWWN5S3Z6MEg4dHVnQUU/view?usp=sharing
Rake
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a house rule, do you restrict starting characters from putting dice into alter?

Are the links you posted liscensced material?
cheshire

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the links on this site are required to be piracy free. The link I shared is to a document that I typed out myself. So, no, it is not licensed material.

I do have another version that has the same content that provides footnotes showing where you can find the information WITHIN licensed material if that sweetens the deal. Smile

In terms of alter? I've not had to put a restriction on that. Most people don't want to sacrifice 3D from their attributes. They usually would rather pick it up later. When they are inclined to do so, I recommend against getting an alter die (particularly as I do require that control and sense be higher than alter), since it would weaken their character in other ways. Though I don't think I've ever placed a restriction on it.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that if you start a character with more than one Force skil they are seriouy weak throughought the campaign. Best to pick up force skills during play so that your other skills and attributes are not holding you back.

Beginning with all three not only leaves the force skills themselves useless for several adventures, but you other stats are hampered, so you cant fall back on those, either.
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a related note, one of the players PCs and one of the NPCs in a SPARKS game at Origins was Force Sensitive, but not a force user. It seems to provide a wealth of plot devices for GMs. How would that work for the character creation process.
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran a character like that for a while. I gave him just enough sense ability to get Danger Sense off once in a while. It made for some really interesting roleplay.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting Force Using characters Reply with quote

Rake wrote:
How many dice do force users receive during character creation to distributer between control, sense and alter?

If making their own template, they can start with 1d, 2d or 3d, depending on how many D they wish to sacrifice from their 18d of attributes. Doing this though, only gets 1d in control/sense or alter. ONCE the PC has that first D worth from attribute re-distribution, he then uses some of his 7d of starting skill dice to improve them up.

So if a player wanted to max out his force user, he could go with 1d in all 3 force skills, leaving him with only 18d for attributes, and then put 2d into each from his skill allocation, leaving only 1d to go elsewhere.

Rake wrote:
As a house rule, do you restrict starting characters from putting dice into alter?

Nope. When i have allowed someone to 'build their own' rather than go with an existing template, i have allowed them to take alter, vice any of the other 2 if they wished.

cynanbloodbane wrote:
On a related note, one of the players PCs and one of the NPCs in a SPARKS game at Origins was Force Sensitive, but not a force user. It seems to provide a wealth of plot devices for GMs. How would that work for the character creation process.

We often do have players take their PC as force sensitive, hoping at a later date to pick up force skills, but either change their mind or don't find someone to teach them for a while.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting Force Using characters Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
So if a player wanted to max out his force user, he could go with 1d in all 3 force skills, leaving him with only 18d for attributes

You mean 15D for attributes.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOh.. Didn't proof read it before posting. Confused Confused
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen the Young Jedi template? I was going to build a Jedi Apprentice off that template, back before the word padawan existed, but the GM didn't come back to college the next semester.

The template is in the second edition revised and expanded book.

Stats:

Dex 3D
Per 4D
Kno 2D
Str 2D
Mec 2D
Tec 2D

Sense 1D
Control 1D
Alter 1D
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a related q... For those who DO let their PC's start with jedi padawan/young jedi type templates.. What do you do for their masters? Are they dead?
Being hunted?
Did their force powers spontaneously appear??
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the time period. If it's right after RotS, then they escaped the purge, one way or another. Rebellion era gets trickier.

Here's a fun bio: Their ship was attacked in the middle of nowhere. They fought off the pirates, and the hyperdrive was broken. They set a course for the nearest habitable system and have been traveling at relativistic speeds. Thirty years have passed for us, but only a few months have passed for them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: