The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Dark Side Points for Dark Side Characters
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Dark Side Points for Dark Side Characters Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonos
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:17 am    Post subject: Dark Side Points for Dark Side Characters Reply with quote

Maybe I missed this somewhere, but what do DSPs do for Dark NPCs?
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Dark Side Points for Dark Side Characters Reply with quote

Jonos wrote:
Maybe I missed this somewhere, but what do DSPs do for Dark NPCs?

Nothing. They are meant as a mechanic to get your players to be heroes and not murder hobos.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Jonos
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see them listed in the stat blocks of villains all the time. They have no purpose whatsoever?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonos wrote:
I see them listed in the stat blocks of villains all the time. They have no purpose whatsoever?

Per the RAW, characters who have turned to the Dark Side can only get Character Points by accruing DSPs on a one-for-one basis.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Jonos
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading the Tales of the Jedi Companion and all the Sith in chapter four have DSP listed (and quite a few points, at that).

Later in the book, on pages 143 -144, it describes how a Jedi can add 1D per dark side point to any force skills during any force power use. It also states that those who have fallen to the Dark Side no longer gain the benefit. This clearly is an indication of using DSPs, but it would seem that once the character/NPC falls or reaches 6 DSP, the benefit ends.

Page 144 refers back to the Force in chapter 9 of the rulebook, which talks about the force and dark side, etc. That section then refers to Chapter 4, the Rules. There, it talks about the mechanics of using Force Points and getting DSPs and redemption. However, at no point does it mention any particular use for DSPs.

So, does the fact that Freedon Nadd has 32 (32!) Dark Side points and King Ommin has a mere 8 mean nothing?

If this is true, then why bother listing them unless it's just a dark side pissing match "I'm more Darkside than YOU, brah"

I can see keeping up with them for the purpose of redemption, but it isn't likely that would happen... ever.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lot more to.. Page 152 in the R&E book..
Rules. Characters who have turned to the dark side must
use the following rules.
• A character consumed by the dark side retains all Force
Points and Character Points.
• Force Points. A dark side character only receives Force
Points when spending Force Points while committing evil at
the dramatically appropriate time. The Force Point is returned
at the end of the adventure and the character gains
another.
Any other time a dark side character spends a Force
Point, it is lost, even if spent while committing evil. The dark
side requires greater and greater evil to fulfill its needs.
• Character Points. Characters consumed by the dark side no
longer receive Character Points for adventuring. Instead,
they receive one Character Point every time they receive
one Dark Side Point.
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The count matters for the purpose of redemption, how many dsp need to be atoned for.
Jonos
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Essentially pointless for NPCs that are going to be villains; unless a character manages to sell them the "Search your feelings" line with a epic Persuasion roll!
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering how high the skills are for characters like Palpatine and Vader, etc, they should literally have thousands of DSPs if the only gain one CP for each DSP.

Not to mention that EVERY single use of a dark side power gramts a DSP. Anakin should have earned 20 or so in just the council chamber alone during the attack on the Jedi temple.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Dark Side Points for Dark Side Characters Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
They are meant as a mechanic to get your players to be heroes and not murder hobos.

What if the players want to murder hobos? Really stick it to those freeloading bums, Emperor of the North style. Shocked

As stated, DSPs were originally a rough gauge of a player's evilness. At 6, it was curtains for the PC as he was consumed by the Dark Side and became a NPC.

There were some interesting rules in Heroes & Rogues (p. 30) about playing Imperials and Dark Side characters. Might be worth your while to check it out.

Last edited by Pel on Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL. A simple misunderstanding. Murder hobo is actually a gaming term for characters who simply wander through the setting killing stuff. Of course, killing actual hobos would fall under the job description of a murder hobo.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
crazydanny1
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonos wrote:
I've been reading the Tales of the Jedi Companion and all the Sith in chapter four have DSP listed (and quite a few points, at that).

Later in the book, on pages 143 -144, it describes how a Jedi can add 1D per dark side point to any force skills during any force power use. It also states that those who have fallen to the Dark Side no longer gain the benefit. This clearly is an indication of using DSPs, but it would seem that once the character/NPC falls or reaches 6 DSP, the benefit ends.

Page 144 refers back to the Force in chapter 9 of the rulebook, which talks about the force and dark side, etc. That section then refers to Chapter 4, the Rules. There, it talks about the mechanics of using Force Points and getting DSPs and redemption. However, at no point does it mention any particular use for DSPs.

So, does the fact that Freedon Nadd has 32 (32!) Dark Side points and King Ommin has a mere 8 mean nothing?

If this is true, then why bother listing them unless it's just a dark side pissing match "I'm more Darkside than YOU, brah"

I can see keeping up with them for the purpose of redemption, but it isn't likely that would happen... ever.

We've always made it a bit of a temptation along with a very fine line to walk when it comes to DSPs. A Force-sensitive who earns a DSP gets a +1D bonus to their Force skills. This increases with each subsequent DSP to the potential max of +5D. But at a total of 6 DSPs, a character is consumed and falls to the Darkside.

The mechanic we used to keep this in check is this: Each time a character receives a DSP, the player must role 1D. As long as the role is above the total number of DSPs the character has, they haven't been consumed by the Darkside. If the role fails, even under 6 DSPs, the character gives in to the Darkside and is consumed. A role of less than or equal to and "BAM", the character becomes an NPC.

http://swbloodlines.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Bloodlines_Wiki
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you're using the stock rules. Nothing wrong with that.

Does your party tend to hunt down the newly minted Dark Jedi?
crazydanny1
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel-

With our old gaming group, it was a must to kill the newly christened Darksider almost immediately. We had one player who was a notorious hobo murderer. His characters usually had very short lifespans. If a PC fell to the Darkside, they didn't last long. This may have been due our GM not wanting the extra baggage of a PC turned NPC and all the back story and plot devices that came with it. He usually had a pretty good idea where our campaign was going without needing the extra "spice."

The one instance where the rules and our usual habits didn't apply was, through careful planning and storytelling, my Force-sensitive eventually fell to the Darkside. Granted, he fell to the Darkside in order to take out the nasty villian that had been tormenting our group for quite a while. I was given a very limited amount of adventures to redeem him. Trust me, I had to work for it a bit. Then again, that campaign was wrapping up and we were beginning plans for a reboot. There might have been a touch of power-gaming going on there. But my GM and I usually coordinated the stories enough that most of the events were happening for a reason.

http://swbloodlines.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Bloodlines_Wiki
Lane Arroway
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing to consider about Dark Side points, is that an evil character can be redeemed and lose all but 5 of his/her Dark Side points. So it doesn't matter how many points they have, if you intend for them to be redeemed, even if they die in the process.

Darth Vader, anyone?

Another thing to remember is that a fallen character cannot simply atone like other Jedi with Dark Side points, they must be Redeemed first.

I had a pc fall and be redeemed in the same scene. It happened so fast, I didn't realize it until after the adventure was over. I had to tell the guy, "hey man, because of your noble sacrifice, you're back on the lightside. Congrats, here's 5 Dark Side points." Funny thing, he actually gained 1 point that way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: