The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Death Star Scale Equipment book
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Death Star Scale Equipment book
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonos
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:30 am    Post subject: Death Star Scale Equipment book Reply with quote

Has anyone ever compiled all the equipment into a single book? I've got sourcebooks of varying editions, books with the same item but different stats, inconsistent power levels (Like two suits of armor, doing the same thing but one costing more or one that is terrible but costing more)

I am in way over my head here with the different items and what is or isn't workable for the game.

Any thoughts?
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhh, hmm.

I'd love to help but I'm afraid to admit I have no idea what a "Death Star scale equipment book" is. A book of equipment at Death Star scale? To my knowledge that's like... 5 things?
Jonos
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Death Star scale.. as in - HUGE. All the equipment and armor and guns and gear all in one resource.

Would be easier than having four or five books and shuffling through them when equipping characters, NPCs and deciding exactly what that arms smuggler is smuggling...
klhaviation
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In REUP we tried to catalog the equipment and weapons to balance the power levels... it was the chapter we spent the most time on.... in the end we found that most of WEGs equipment stuff outside of the core books was spotty at best. Ot only do you have edition issues, but other writers and editors never seemed to work under a unified system.

I think this started back in the 1st ed sayes, where the rules were left so open, writers just stated up what they needed for an adventure or Sourcebook. In the end when a lot of those stats were compiled into equipment books and converted to 2nd ed, it created the mess we have today.

On example is the blast boat being capital scale. In probably should be starfish term scale, buthe back in the late 80s, scale did not exist (not till the rules companion). In fact, capital ships did not even have hull or shield ratings, bawe'd ok the rules they were impregnable to anything the PCs were using (as per the 1st ed Star Was SB).... so when the blast boat (read gunship) appeared in the Imp SB, it wasn't a starfighter, it wasn't a space transport (that skill did not exist in 1st ed) because it was to heavily armed... so they called it a capital ship. Die cap scaling just came into existence that same year, so the term capital scale was rather new.
I think Debroa's idea was to have a smaller ship to go up against other capital ships like the Corvette... but after Zahn's description of blast boat combat in Heir to the Empire, our concept of blast boats has changed, yet the Stat block remains the same.

So in regards to a Mega book, you'd have to rewrite some of the stats for them to make sense in a unified way... it's a tall order. I had an experience writer almost go insane over the REUP equipment chapter.
Now that I am working on a 1st ed redux, I am finding that system much easier to work with, mostly because the rules are simpler and a bit more logical in some places.... still I am seeing the system unravel in material developed in the early 90s.
Jonos
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noted. I am really considering limitations on equipment, but since my characters aren't overly gnarly combatants it hasn't been an issue yet. Yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: