The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

"Ive fallen and i went splat"..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> "Ive fallen and i went splat"..
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: "Ive fallen and i went splat".. Reply with quote

Over on one of my adnd sites we are having 2 separate threads discussing falling from great highs and damage related to it.
In both 2e main and 2e revised, falling damage caps out at 9d of damage for 51 or more meters..

Who has ever HAD anyone even fall that far? Did the pc survive??
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to get into any sort of physics here, but this is survivable:

A well-armored Wookiee, Barabel, or other resilient species could survive with one or two wounds (9D falling vs. 7D (Str+2D) resistance). More squishy beings could pop a Force Point to achieve about the same result. Jedi could hurl TK at the ground to soften the impact, or steer themselves into something less solid (well-watered Askajian, passing Hutt, etc.).

I find it interesting that falling 51+ meters is worse than heavy repeater damage, but still less lethal than a thermal detonator to the face.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
Not to get into any sort of physics here, but this is survivable:

A well-armored Wookiee, Barabel, or other resilient species could survive with one or two wounds (9D falling vs. 7D (Str+2D) resistance). More squishy beings could pop a Force Point to achieve about the same result. Jedi could hurl TK at the ground to soften the impact, or steer themselves into something less solid (well-watered Askajian, passing Hutt, etc.).

I find it interesting that falling 51+ meters is worse than heavy repeater damage, but still less lethal than a thermal detonator to the face.

Exactly my point. Heck even a box standard bounty hunter (3d+2 str) on a force point wearing full body bounty hunter armor (+2d phys) is odds on going to walk away from that fall with only a stun (3d+2 doubles to 6d+4 +2d for 8d+4 vs 9d damage)..
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know much about 2e DnD, but 9d6 damage translates a lot differently than "9D" damage doea in D6 Star Wars. Is this apples to oranges here?

On the other hand, dor distances that are supposed to be lethal, I wouldnt even give the player a roll i they failed to avoif the impact somehow. Spend your FPs and CPs trying not to land on the ground (grab a branch, use the Force, etc).
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is pure SWRPG. Falling damage is on p. 112 of R&E. Wink

The 1E GM screen lists falling damage as follows:

3-6m: 3D
7-12m: 4D
13-18m: 5D
19-30m: 6D
31-50m: 8D
51+m: 10D

So somewhere between the original & 2nd Ed. WEG decided the upper end of falling damage was too lethal? Maybe their playtesting involved base jumping and mishap rolls.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
I dont know much about 2e DnD, but 9d6 damage translates a lot differently than "9D" damage doea in D6 Star Wars. Is this apples to oranges here?

Well, you think the # of times we have talked about the "Bullet proof wookie" syndrome where due to high str and armor, you need to start shooting E_webs at characters to challenge them (read actually have a chance to damage them). Those sorts of characters would not really see much fear from a 9d fall.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of possible soluutions:

Armor doesnt protect against falls....

Terminal Velocity requores no damage roll (character dies on impact, no roll)...

Falls of x distance or greater roll damage, but are treated like a "critical hit" (for example rolling damage as if a head shot, or rolling damage using th RoE rules and āssuming that the "to hit" roll of the fall is x over the "dodge"roll for every y meters fallen, thereby increasing damage).

Falling damage is equal to the character's Str (i.e. his "mass") pluse velocity (distance). "The bigger they are, the harder they fall." So you'd add the character's str to the fall damage or nerf the fall damage by 3D and then add in the character's strength, so a wookiee falling 51m would take 11D damage and a human (2Dstr) would take 8D damage.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that 'armor does not protect' angle.. And the suggestion the USERS str also has an impact.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a lot easier to just say 'and you plummet to your death, creating a surprisingly unimpressive crater upon impact'. No rolls, no hand-wringing, just a straight common sense approach.

Keep the falling rules (honestly, how often are characters going to fall more than 50 meters and expect to have any shot at surviving?) and see what shakes out. If your players work with you, then reciprocate. If they see a gap in the rules and exploit it ad nauseum, tighten up the rule or impose die caps after 20 meters or so (scaling up to speeder and then walker scale damage).

Maybe (and this may be the whiskey talking) the designers figured anything beyond 51 meters and the GM would just call it autodeath. Or maybe they just missed that one. Even money.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do see some pretty epic falls in SW, to be honest, though.

But I agree: fall x distance= dead.

Although I do like to allow a roll to prevent the fall or at least reduce the danger.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:

Keep the falling rules (honestly, how often are characters going to fall more than 50 meters and expect to have any shot at surviving?) and see what shakes out.

To be honest, there are only a few instances where i have even had PCs fall more than 50 meters. One comes in a module where they are using combat paragliders to 'insert' onto a planet. The other was when one guy was using Grav boots to glide from a 20 story building over to another one, and got hit IN the boots, severely damaging them, so fell.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: