The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars Roleplaying - The Physics of Star Wars
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Star Wars Roleplaying - The Physics of Star Wars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Star Wars Roleplaying - The Physics of Star Wars Reply with quote

Paul Bateman, the Emmy nominated Concept Designer & Art Director and protegee of the late Ralph McQuarrie, has famously referred to John William's Star Wars soundtrack as the "Oxygen" of Star Wars.

I'd argue that Star Wars Roleplaying provides the "Physics" of Star Wars.

While media such as video games provides environments, and to some extent metrics, which can be used represent how things actually work in the Star Wars Universe (i.e. the functional controls and gages in the interior of starships in the X-Wing computer came), I think even game designers would admit that many of the game representations are "supersized" to provide for a more enjoyable gaming experience, instead of attempting to accurately measure the capabilities of characters, vehicles, etc.

Besides providing for a way for people to play a Star Wars game together, and immerse themselves in the Galaxy Far Far Away, I think the roleplaying game defines the limitations, the relative capabilities, and the do's and don'ts of how things work in Star Wars. To that extent, I think it does represent the "Physics" of Star Wars.

I don't think it's a coincidence that members of the Lucasfilm Story Group, which includes individuals such as Leland Chee and Pablo Hidalgo (former WEG contributor), have already shown a tendency to draw from WEG RPG materials (inquisitors, ISB, etc.) in developing the new content under the contemporary continuity system. It's neat to see that connection, and it will be fun to see what WEG-created elements make it into the new films as well.

Anyway, I just wanted to articulate my thoughts on that, and see what other people think. Are there people in the forum who don't actively play the roleplaying game, but enjoy reading the materials as a way to better understand the "Physics" of Star Wars?
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insert sound of cricket noise here.

Smile

Ah well - so much for my revolutionary idea. It sounded cool when I was thinking about it.

But in retrospect...

Is there an "anti-Sticky" option for forum posts? Smile
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, there is a lot of content out there that attempts to do what a table top rpg does. For example, youtubers have this thing where they do fantasy vs matches between characters who never could have fought in the first place, etc.

As an rpg-er myself, I find myself bemoaning the inconsistencies I see in the films or TV shows (such as Ahsoka hitting Pre Viszla's rocket pack and saying "Ididnt miss"... she could have killed him right there, or taken an arm or whatever...But Pre is good enough to beat Obi-Wan's keester, and even stacks up decently against Darth Maul).

And its things like this that make me wish that everyone involved in the storytelling were a gamer. I want consistency! Plot armor is great amd fine, but at least make it make sense! Yoda should have taken Dooku's hand, for example, in order to create a proper catalyst for his decision to retreat. Based on the film it looked like a stalemate at worst.... Dooku still had a chance at winning (so it APPEARD). Yoda's defeat of Dook ougjt to have been decisive, IMHO.

I'm not sure if that is along the line of what you were thinking... but its what I think of when I hear "physics of Star Wars."
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take your word on the unrealism of TCW based on what I've seen of it. I don't doubt it.

Naaman wrote:
I want consistency! Plot armor is great amd fine, but at least make it make sense! Yoda should have taken Dooku's hand, for example, in order to create a proper catalyst for his decision to retreat. Based on the film it looked like a stalemate at worst.... Dooku still had a chance at winning (so it APPEARD). Yoda's defeat of Dook ougjt to have been decisive, IMHO.

That's not my issue with the end of Attack of the Clones. Dooku's primary missions from his master were to secure the Trade Federation's support of the Separatist cause, start the war and get the Death Star plans safety to his master. If Dooku hadn't been chased to the hanger by the Jedi, he would have just gotten into his ship and left for Coruscant. He didn't need a wound to retreat. As much as Dooku would have enjoyed killing Yoda, IMHO it was either looking to be stalemate or perhaps Dooku even feared Yoda eventually gaining the upperhand, so just used Yoda's compassion for Obi-Wan and Anakin against him to escape and continue on to meet with Sidious as he had planned.

My issue is more out of literary/dramatic concerns. Attack of the Clones is the least standalone film of the series, there to connect A to C. The new villain Dooku has 3 very brief sequential lightsaber duels with Obi-Wan, Anakin and Yoda. It's very anticlimactic on its own. Then the next time Dooku appears in RotS, he gets killed by Anakin at the beginning of the film, which makes the climax of AotC even less impactful. Dooku was already another Jedi that left the order and joined the Sith, and another former student of one of Luke's teachers who had turned to the Dark Side. If Dooku had also gotten a hand cut off like Luke and Anakin, that just would have too much.

Why Yoda's defeat wasn't more decisive is established in the films. In TPM, Anakin had more m-words than Yoda which speaks to his potential as a Jedi. Earlier in AotC, Anakin had said he thought he already rivaled Yoda as a swordsman, and Obi-Wan rebuked him. Anakin gets his @ss handed to him by Dooku, and Yoda doesn't. Then in RotS Anakin's powers have increased greatly and he fairly easily defeats Dooku, thus dramatically demonstrating that Anakin may have actually achieved a state of being more powerful than Yoda. Palpatine tells Yoda that Vader will become more powerful than either of them, Vader's overconfidence was his weakness (a common flaw in SW villains), and when Vader becomes totally delimbed with damaged lungs and melty skin, his powers have decreased to the point of becoming Palpatine's slave with no hope of ever defeating him on his own.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your analysis is spot on and I wholeheardetly agree.

My issue... and this takes us off topic, sorry OP... is that we FINALLY get to see Yoda in action and there is no payoff.

Do you remember what the audience sounded like at 1:30 am when Yoda started doing his thing?

And then...... bleh....

He marches in there in his own version of a heroic manner, and then just doesn't get anything done. He was constantly on the offense. He wasn't just "defending" against Dooku, but he was attacking him with a prowess that we had never seen before in SW.

And I've just accepted that hands are disposable in SW. If someone isn't losing a hand, it must not be SW.... you know?

I would rather have waited for Yoda to actually win a fight... which we actually never get to see him do. And I feel like that is a misuse of his character.

Compare this to the scene in the 1990 TMNT where Splinter shows up and saves the turtles, kills Shredder and saves the day.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you mean.

I think all three lightsaber duels were too short, including Yoda's (they were less than a minute each). There actually was a lot more filmed at least for Anakin's battle, but Lucas was concerned with total run time. I totally agree with most of the deleted scenes being cut, but cutting climactic action for the sake of overall run time? I think that hurt the film. Of course Yoda was special effects so a shorter battle time for him could have also been for post-production time and budget concerns, but I agree more action hero Yoda would have helped the film.

A more conclusive defeat of Dooku could have been a better climax and it could have helped AotC as a movie in its own right, but I feel Dooku getting more soundly defeated at the end of AotC only to get killed at the beginning of the next film would have weakened the character more than he already is, which in turn could have hurt the drama of RotS because the Clone Wars may not have seemed so bad for the Republic if the enemy leader was that weak.

Since Yoda had to lose his duel with Palpatine in RotS, yeah, it would have nice to see Yoda get one win. But Dooku is already a dramatically weak villain as it is, so that's a tough one.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Lane Arroway
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, Yoda shouldn't have been swinging his lightsaber around at all. I agree, that those fights he's in are pointless. If Yoda was going to break character and attack, he should have ended it. He's suppose to be the living representation of the lightside of the Force. Wisdom, knowledge, and defence is his philosophy of the Force. Anything else risks temptation to the Dark Side.

Check out, "What If Episode One was good?" followed by "What If Episode Two Was Good?" on youtube. Made some great points in those.

Personally, I would miss Ewan Mcgregor in the movies, he's a great Obi-Wan, that said, if GL titled his movie, Star Wars Episode I A New Hope, I would have been fine with it.

I totally agree with what you said, Red 331. Awesome insight!
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lane Arroway wrote:
IMHO, Yoda shouldn't have been swinging his lightsaber around at all. I agree, that those fights he's in are pointless.

I agree that Yoda not fighting at all in AotC would have been better for that film than the few rounds-worth of combat we got. But I thought Yoda's battle with Palpatine in RotS (during the battle of the heroes) was great. What is more symbolic than the Jedi Grand Master and the Sith Master fighting in the great hall of the Galactic Senate. The fate of the galaxy was at hand. It was epic!

And Yoda not supposed to be fighting was part of the whole point. The Clone War was the best trap for the Jedi. By just even fighting at all, the Jedi lost.

LUKE: I'm looking for a great warrior.
YODA: Ohhh. Great warrior. Wars not make one great.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concerning Whill's point about Dooku being weak, I think that ep3 should have had Grievous at the beginning with Obi-Wan and Anakin defeating him together, and then, Dooku (since he "fled" in ep2) being confronted by Obi Wan and Anakin... the two of them losing, Yoda coming and killing him, and then later Palps kils Mace with Anakin's help.
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Star Wars Roleplaying - The Physics of Star Wars Reply with quote

Red 331 wrote:
Paul Bateman, the Emmy nominated Concept Designer & Art Director and protegee of the late Ralph McQuarrie, has famously referred to John William's Star Wars soundtrack as the "Oxygen" of Star Wars.

I'd argue that Star Wars Roleplaying provides the "Physics" of Star Wars.

While media such as video games provides environments, and to some extent metrics, which can be used represent how things actually work in the Star Wars Universe (i.e. the functional controls and gages in the interior of starships in the X-Wing computer came), I think even game designers would admit that many of the game representations are "supersized" to provide for a more enjoyable gaming experience, instead of attempting to accurately measure the capabilities of characters, vehicles, etc.

Besides providing for a way for people to play a Star Wars game together, and immerse themselves in the Galaxy Far Far Away, I think the roleplaying game defines the limitations, the relative capabilities, and the do's and don'ts of how things work in Star Wars. To that extent, I think it does represent the "Physics" of Star Wars.

I don't think it's a coincidence that members of the Lucasfilm Story Group, which includes individuals such as Leland Chee and Pablo Hidalgo (former WEG contributor), have already shown a tendency to draw from WEG RPG materials (inquisitors, ISB, etc.) in developing the new content under the contemporary continuity system. It's neat to see that connection, and it will be fun to see what WEG-created elements make it into the new films as well.

Anyway, I just wanted to articulate my thoughts on that, and see what other people think. Are there people in the forum who don't actively play the roleplaying game, but enjoy reading the materials as a way to better understand the "Physics" of Star Wars?

I just want to say this was a great post, and it articulates one of the main reasons I chose the WEG game for my campaign. I had been casting about for a Star Wars RPG, and checked out many official and unofficial variants. One of the factors that made me settle on WEG was its pedigree—the fact that so many people over so many decades played it, and its influence in turn on the rest of Star Wars media, made it seem like the “real” physics of Star Wars.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: