The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Rise of the Old Masters - Luminara and Sense Force Powers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Rise of the Old Masters - Luminara and Sense Force Powers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Rise of the Old Masters - Luminara and Sense Force Powers Reply with quote

In the Rebels TV show, in the "Rise of the Old Masters" episode, Kanan and Ezra are led into a trap provided by the Pau'an Inquisitor. The remains of Luminara, a former Jedi, were left in a container in the Spire, a high-security Imperial prison in the Stygeon system.

The Inquisitor tells Kanan and Ezra that Luminara's remains had been used as bait for surviving Jedi numerous times.

How would this work in terms of game mechanics? Could someone describe the skill tests and steps required to replicate this scene?

Would Kanan and Ezra have rolled Life Sense tests as they approached the Spire? Perhaps Sense Force? What types of modifiers would have been involved? How did they fail?

Here are the stats for Kanan and Ezra from the Rebels Season One Sourcebook - congrats to Womp Rat Press!

Ezra Bridger
Force Skills: Control 3D+2, sense 4D+2, alter 3D
Control: concentration, resist stun
Sense Powers: danger sense, life detection, life sense, sense force
Control and Sense: lightsaber combat, projective telepathy

Kanan Jarrus
Force Skills: Control 7D, sense 7D, alter 5D
Control: concentration, control pain, enhance attribute, force of will, resist
stun,
Sense Powers: combat sense, danger sense, life detection, life sense, sense force
Control and Sense: lightsaber combat, projective empathy
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it would work. That's one of the more silly ideas from Rebels, that the bones of a Jedi that had died 15 years earlier would still give off such a strong living presence in the Force.

Quote:
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.

Yoda felt the death of many Jedi immediately when it happened. Yes, they were in other systems, but Yoda is the Jedi Grand Master, and the moment of transition to death is what was felt. That doesn't make me think that even he could sense the Force presence of a dead Jedi's bones 15 years after death. Obi-Wan felt millions of Alderaanians die when he was in hyperspace on the way to that system, but again, that was the transition to death, not any long lingering lifeforce many years later.

Why would there be any lifeforce left in the long dead remains of anyone, even a Jedi master? Her living spirit had long left her body. In death, her personal identity had come to an end, and her lifeforce had rejoined the general universal Force field. I could see a powerful Jedi Master like Yoda maybe being able to sense the Force presence of a very recently deceased Jedi Master, when there were still a lot of cells in her body that had not yet died. But a former padawan sensing the lifeforce in decaying bones 15 years later? IMO that's utterly ridiculous (even if the deceased Jedi is named "Luminara").

The only way I could see that working would be if Luminara had learned a form of the power to become a Force Ghost (continued personal identity in the Force), but the ghost was somehow trapped in her remains. Then they would be sensing her ghost, not her dead bones. But how could she be trapped? Even if her luminous essence could somehow not leave the physical location of her remains, you would think she would be able to see what was happening, give up her personal identity and just will herself to fade away into the general universal Force field to no longer be used to lure Jedi.

No matter how hard I try, I just can't make that Rebels episode make any kind of sense. Sorry.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
vulture811
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the sith dont have methods to trap spirits in inanimate objects or bones ?
I mean they never say when she died to, so we dont know how long they had her to work some type of sith sorcery or such.
crazydanny1
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Whill on this. The episode doesn't make a lot of sense when it comes to what we know about the Force. There's no Sense power that allows for a Jedi to pick up a presence from a deceased person. The closest would probably be Life Sense or Life Detection. But that just doesn't work in this context. You could argue that Sense Force could be bent to fit the senario too, but I really don't like that idea. Postcognition could be a small part of it too, but again, it doesn't work that way.

We do know that strong Force-users can leave an imprint on their surroundings when they die. This is very true of Darksiders. My group and I have played it where the area where a Force user died still resonates with some degree of Force energy, but not specifically the person/spirit. Remains are remains and I doubt that Luminara's remains were left exactly where she died. Perhaps, but unlikely. But I have to degress back to Whill and say that a Jedi would willingly go over to the greater energies of the Force when they die instead of trying to hang on to the material world like a Darksider.

As far as setting something up like this within a game, I'd think you'd have to have a very strong Darksider that could con the characters through the Force in order to lure them to a specific location. Perhaps this is the time when somebody creates a new Sith/Darkside power that can allow a person to mimic or impersonate a Force presence. That'd be a pretty potent power though, especially against less skilled Force users.

http://swbloodlines.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Bloodlines_Wiki
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazydanny1 wrote:
I have to agree with Whill on this. The episode doesn't make a lot of sense when it comes to what we know about the Force. There's no Sense power that allows for a Jedi to pick up a presence from a deceased person. The closest would probably be Life Sense or Life Detection. But that just doesn't work in this context. You could argue that Sense Force could be bent to fit the senario too, but I really don't like that idea. Postcognition could be a small part of it too, but again, it doesn't work that way.

We do know that strong Force-users can leave an imprint on their surroundings when they die. This is very true of Darksiders. My group and I have played it where the area where a Force user died still resonates with some degree of Force energy, but not specifically the person/spirit. Remains are remains and I doubt that Luminara's remains were left exactly where she died. Perhaps, but unlikely. But I have to degress back to Whill and say that a Jedi would willingly go over to the greater energies of the Force when they die instead of trying to hang on to the material world like a Darksider.

As far as setting something up like this within a game, I'd think you'd have to have a very strong Darksider that could con the characters through the Force in order to lure them to a specific location. Perhaps this is the time when somebody creates a new Sith/Darkside power that can allow a person to mimic or impersonate a Force presence. That'd be a pretty potent power though, especially against less skilled Force users.

Said darkside power could require the preserved remains of the force user being impersonated, thus filling many of the holes in that episode.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vulture811 wrote:
I mean they never say when she died to, so we dont know how long they had her to work some type of sith sorcery or such.
crazydanny1 wrote:
We do know that strong Force-users can leave an imprint on their surroundings when they die. This is very true of Darksiders. My group and I have played it where the area where a Force user died still resonates with some degree of Force energy, but not specifically the person/spirit. Remains are remains and I doubt that Luminara's remains were left exactly where she died.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Luminara_Unduli/Canon#Death_and_legacy wrote:
During the battle, Supreme Chancellor Sheev Palpatine issued Order 66, a command ordering all clone troopers to kill their Jedi commanders.[9] Unduli evaded the fate that many of her fellow Jedi had; however, she was taken into custody by the Empire. The Jedi Order was destroyed, and Palpatine declared himself Emperor and transformed the Republic into the Galactic Empire.[9] After a short time in the prison known as the Spire on Stygeon Prime, she was executed in her cell in the presence of the Inquisitor, who then held her remains for future purposes of the Empire.[10]

So it seems that her remains were actually kept in the same cell where she died, so I'll buy that a little psychic/ectoplasmic/Force residue from her death may be left over in the physical surroundings of that location. But I read the above as her being captured very shortly after Order 66, and it says that she died "a short time" into her incarceration, which I would think would be less than a year. The episode takes place between 14 and 15 years after Order 66, so a good guess for the timeframe would be that the episode is about 14 years after her death. For me, that's still too long for a former padawan to sense her presence in the Force.

What I find interesting is that it states she died in the presence of the Inquisitor, which dates the Inquisitor's service to "a short time" after the rise of the Empire. As far as some Dark Side "sorcery" to trap her Force presence or make a long-lasting copy of it, that would seem to be well beyond the powers of the Inquisitor who was not even a Maul-level Dark Side initiate 14+ years later.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have said before, that the Inquisitors would have been most useful immediately following order 66. I'm sure they were being trained during, if not before the Clone Wars. As for reaching Maul level, Vader would be forced to eliminate those that become too powerful, mostly because they would try to kill him to take his place.
I don't think the Inquisitor would have been much more than a youngling style apprentice to the Inquisitor in charge of Luminara.
As for a mechanic for the DS power, it requires the remains of the force user to be kept in close proximity to their place of death to act as a conduit for the DS user to enhance the deceaseds "Force Echo". In that case, the less training someone sensing said echo has, the more likely they are to misidentify the echo as a living force user.

Just making the best of an ill conceived plot.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cynanbloodbane wrote:
I have said before, that the Inquisitors would have been most useful immediately following order 66. I'm sure they were being trained during, if not before the Clone Wars. As for reaching Maul level, Vader would be forced to eliminate those that become too powerful, mostly because they would try to kill him to take his place.
I don't think the Inquisitor would have been much more than a youngling style apprentice to the Inquisitor in charge of Luminara.
As for a mechanic for the DS power, it requires the remains of the force user to be kept in close proximity to their place of death to act as a conduit for the DS user to enhance the deceaseds "Force Echo". In that case, the less training someone sensing said echo has, the more likely they are to misidentify the echo as a living force user.

I appreciate your efforts! Of course it seems like Luminara was an exception to the rule of Order 66 to kill all the Jedi on sight, so I wonder why she was an exception and only captured. If it was to manufacture a 'Force echo' trap for other Jedi, wouldn't they have done it with more Jedi?

I like the idea that the Inquisitor wasn't yet a full-fledged inquisitor at the time of Luminara's death, instead only being an apprentice inquisitor who was present. Who made the trap? Palpatine? Vader? Some master inquisitor who had this special power? And it makes me wonder what the Inquisitor himself was during the Clone Wars, and what happened to that master inquisitor (if someone other than Sidious or Vader)? I also am intrigued by the idea of inquisitors being trained and prepared during the Clone Wars. Who trained them? Sidious? Dooku? Someone else? And this does beg the question, how many inquisitors were/are there? Why was the Inquisitor from Rebels called the Inquisitor? I think Rebels may in part address the singular reference since they are going to introduce new inquisitors (plural, I believe).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, this is exactly how I've run my inquisitors in the fan fic that I've written.

The "first one" was not in any way a Jedi, instead, he was discovered by Palps and trained for the purpose of locating Force users and either persuading them to join the republic (under Palpatine's rule) or else destroy them.

During the clone war, he was also tasked with assembling a special team of Force users to expand his reach and carry out similar missions in various sectors. Some of those recruited to the cause were actually Jedi knights who were sold the idea that they were hunting down "dark siders." Eventually, after Order 66 was given, some of those inquisitors who were Jedi, having been fully indoctrinated, remained loyal to Palpatine, and thus, the inquisition was established.

The fan fic I've written takes place during the purge, and focuses on one Jedi knight who encounters "the last" of the Jedi, and the group of them hunt down and eliminate the inquisition in turn (these are basically Jedi that were too powerful for any one inquisitor to take on his own, and even too powerful for Vader to defeat without careful planning).

I suppose it's kind of like a "cold war" going on between 12 Jedi and 20-30 inquisitors. Eventually, the Jedi are whittled down to 3, but have eliminated all but Darth Vader, who himself has some encounters that he narrowly survives (these encounters serve to "set him up" to be redeemed by Luke later on, which is why I've allowed him to live... mwahaha!)

Anyway, most of the inquisition in my story are about as powerful as low level Jedi knights, but they have resources that make them more dangerous than just a newb with a lightsaber.

Also, I rather feel like whoever wrote the Rebels sourcebook WAY overestimates Kanan's (and Ezra's, for that matter) Force skills... but, whatever.
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Whill pointed out, the body is just a shell, "luminous beings are we." The way I see it, Kanan was so fixated on passing Ezra off onto someone else that he ignored what ever basic training he had previously acquired. He should have known something was wrong from the start, but he chose to ignore the Force and embrace his selfish desire. I would assume any other Jedi who were tricked (and killed/captured/etc.) were acting on their emotions rather than the Force.

"So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
cynanbloodbane wrote:

I appreciate your efforts! Of course it seems like Luminara was an exception to the rule of Order 66 to kill all the Jedi on sight, so I wonder why she was an exception and only captured. If it was to manufacture a 'Force echo' trap for other Jedi, wouldn't they have done it with more Jedi?

I like the idea that the Inquisitor wasn't yet a full-fledged inquisitor at the time of Luminara's death, instead only being an apprentice inquisitor who was present. Who made the trap? Palpatine? Vader? Some master inquisitor who had this special power? And it makes me wonder what the Inquisitor himself was during the Clone Wars, and what happened to that master inquisitor (if someone other than Sidious or Vader)? I also am intrigued by the idea of inquisitors being trained and prepared during the Clone Wars. Who trained them? Sidious? Dooku? Someone else? And this does beg the question, how many inquisitors were/are there? Why was the Inquisitor from Rebels called the Inquisitor? I think Rebels may in part address the singular reference since they are going to introduce new inquisitors (plural, I believe).

I hope so, for all the flaws of TCW and Rebels, the wrighters did make an effort on several occasions to correct discontinuities created by the PT & reintroduce some things as Canon. It wouldbe nice if that trend continues.
As far as the Inquisitors go, Palps was playing a very LONG game. Recruiting a bounty hunter & a retired jedi to his cause, duping another jedi into ordering a clone army based off the afore mentioned bounty hunter all 10 plus years beforethey would be needed. Lets not forget the blockade and invasion of his homeworld just to gain the sympathy vote and become chancellor, what 12 years before the clone wars? So why is it assumed that the Inquisitors were a last minute idea. I just assume that training the Inquisitors were one of Dooku's off screen duties. For my universe, Ventrus was just his star pupil. After the first few years the training duties would be passed off to the more experianced students, freeing Dooku up for a more headmaster type of position.
vulture811
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so why are we assuming the inquisitor is the one doing anything to Luminara's remains, Palps or Vader could have been the ones easy enough.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vulture811 wrote:
so why are we assuming the inquisitor is the one doing anything to Luminara's remains, Palps or Vader could have been the ones easy enough.

I'm not assuming that. I suggested Palpatine or Vader as possibilities.

cynanbloodbane wrote:
So why is it assumed that the Inquisitors were a last minute idea.

I'm not assuming that. WEG introduced Inquisitors before the prequels so like a lot of things, they had to deal with the prequel era vaguely. Rebels didn't reveal anything about the Inquisitor's background except for being in Luminara's cell when she died in the year of Order 66. I just personally never thought about Inquisitor origins that much before and this thread ended up discussing it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
vulture811 wrote:

I'm not assuming that. I suggested Palpatine or Vader as possibilities.

cynanbloodbane wrote:

I'm not assuming that. WEG introduced Inquisitors before the prequels so like a lot of things, they had to deal with the prequel era vaguely. Rebels didn't reveal anything about the Inquisitor's background except for being in Luminara's cell when she died in the year of Order 66. I just personally never thought about Inquisitor origins that much before and this thread ended up discussing it.

I wasn't referring to you Whill, the beginnings of the Inquisitors isn't really discussed much. The few times it comes up that I have experienced, here and elsewhere, it is generally assumed that Palps, or even Vader started them post order 66 to help hunt down Jedi. I did attempt to word that so as to not point a finger at anyone, specifically yourself. Sorry if it came off as accusatory. This is one of my favorite topics of Star Wars discussion, as the EU never really touched on it. It really is a blank slate.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cynanbloodbane wrote:
Whill wrote:

I wasn't referring to you Whill... I did attempt to word that so as to not point a finger at anyone, specifically yourself. Sorry if it came off as accusatory.

I didn't think you were accusing me and read your comment as general. I was just pointing out that I agree that inquisitors origins don't necessarily have to be early Empire, and admitting that I just hadn't given it much thought before now.

cynanbloodbane wrote:

To answer your question more directly, I would have to say that it's a common assumption in general because Inquisitors are a pre-prequel creation with no activities described as taking place before the early Empire.

cynanbloodbane wrote:
...the beginnings of the Inquisitors isn't really discussed much. The few times it comes up that I have experienced, here and elsewhere, it is generally assumed that Palps, or even Vader started them post order 66 to help hunt down Jedi... This is one of my favorite topics of Star Wars discussion, as the EU never really touched on it. It really is a blank slate.

Indeed!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: