The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Buying 1st Ed books
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> Buying 1st Ed books
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Buying 1st Ed books Reply with quote

With my children getting older, and my "D6 Jr" system looking like it's going to wind down in a year or two, I've decided to break down and get some 1st Edition books. I remember years ago taking quick looks on eBay and noticing how cheap the books were. Granted, there are always ebbs and flows in the market, depending on what's in vogue and what's not.

In the last few months, I'm surprised by how high the secondary market has risen for some of the 1E books. (Though some of the individual 2E are also kind of pricey.)

I'm getting a bruised and worn 1E rulebook sent to the house for a little under $14 shipped. Though I'm wondering if anyone else is having a similar experience. Is it just the time in which I'm entering the market, or am I just remembering a bit too nostalgia as to what 1E prices used to be like nine years ago.
klhaviation
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed this too... perhaps it is the revitalized interest in the franchise, there is still a plethora of books out there, my FLGS has a ton, but they sell them for 25 to 35 bucks each. Who knows why.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me that the price has remained steady over the last couple of years. I was lucky when I put my collection together back in the late 90s and early 2000s that eBay was still worth a damn. That and the books were pretty cheap at the time.

Now, eBay is nearly worthless and people think everything Star Wars has to have an inflated price. I am seeing books that 6-7 years ago were 1/2 to 1/4 the current going rate.

I can only assume with all the media hype and the new movies that prices will continue to climb and stay stead for the next 4-7 years.

As an aside, wait till the price of the already inflated Star Wars Saga double and triple. The worst part of that, people will actually buy it. Paying upwards of a $1,000 for a set of 13 books.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completed my 1e collection a long time ago (largely from online purchases), but as discussed elsewhere it has been observed that retail locations have seemed to jack the prices up to ridiculous levels this year, apparently due to the increasing hype for the new film. People are sometimes paying these crazy prices which justifies them to those that sell them. Blame it on demand.

I just saw something the other night I never thought I would see. I went to the Force Friday midnight sale at my local Toys R Us and witnessed a legion of SW fans literally fill shopping carts with hundreds of dollars in SW toys based on a new movie they haven't seen yet. I did not get the impression they were all parents early Christmas shopping for their kids either. And they were looking at me funny because I only bought a mere 2 action figures (for my son, nothing for myself). I got those and my freebies out of that mad house.

Disney: (waves hand): You will buy Star Wars items beyond your ability to afford them.

The Masses: We will blow our entire week's paychecks on Star Wars, or charge it all to a credit card. We must outdo our friends and posses the largest mountain of Star Wars.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I completed my 1e collection a long time ago (largely from online purchases), but as discussed elsewhere it has been observed that retail locations have seemed to jack the prices up to ridiculous levels this year, apparently due to the increasing hype for the new film. People are sometimes paying these crazy prices which justifies them to those that sell them. Blame it on demand.

Yeah, I was surprised to see the demand that high. I was going to blame it on collectors jacking up prices, but then when the bidding rises to similar prices, then that's just market forces at play.

*shrug*

Hopefully it will come down in time so I can work on expanding the collection.

But for the short term, at least stats-wise, should I just be okay with the 1E core book, the apparent companion Star Wars Sourcebook and the Imperial Sourcebook?

Quote:

I just saw something the other night I never thought I would see. I went to the Force Friday midnight sale at my local Toys R Us and witnessed a legion of SW fans literally fill shopping carts with hundreds of dollars in SW toys based on a new movie they haven't seen yet. I did not get the impression they were all parents early Christmas shopping for their kids either. And they were looking at me funny because I only bought a mere 2 action figures (for my son, nothing for myself). I got those and my freebies out of that mad house.

Disney: (waves hand): You will buy Star Wars items beyond your ability to afford them.

The Masses: We will blow our entire week's paychecks on Star Wars, or charge it all to a credit card. We must outdo our friends and posses the largest mountain of Star Wars.

Yeah, I had a moment of stepping outside myself when I went to go pick up a bike helmet at Target for my kid yesterday. We went there for the expressed purposes of buying a helmet that fit. Her first one just never quite sat right on her head, and I felt uncomfortable with it.

But naturally, we went down the new Star Wars isle and check out the new toys. Wouldn't you know it, there were a couple of R2-D2 helmets and a BB-8 helmet. She instantly fell in love with the "R2-ball-2" helmet. But I was a little hesitant to shell out cash for a licensed product for a film that may or may not be any good.

So, I put a few of the R2-D2 helmets on her. Funny enough, they didn't fit quite right (and they should have been the EXACT same interior design). All of the other helmets in the store didn't fit, were out of stock, or were more expensive than "R2-ball-2."

So, we walked out with a licensed product for a film we won't even be able to evaluate for another three months.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but at least the licensed bicycle helmet still has a practical (and important safety) use. I want to make my complete WEG SW collection practical by using every single item in the game before I die.

cheshire wrote:
But for the short term, at least stats-wise, should I just be okay with the 1E core book, the apparent companion Star Wars Sourcebook and the Imperial Sourcebook?

To play 1e you only need the rule book. If you have the 2e sourcebooks, it is cake to revert the stats back to 1e form. All you need is that 1e-to-2e conversion doc that was at the end of the original 2e rulebook.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Teazia
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am happy to have picked up my core 1e books last year at great prices. Tramp Freighters was the most expensive at $17 I think, but that is not too bad. I am happy to know my investment last year has already appreciated. How much is is 2e R&E going for now?

Cheers
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teazia wrote:
I am happy to have picked up my core 1e books last year at great prices. Tramp Freighters was the most expensive at $17 I think, but that is not too bad. I am happy to know my investment last year has already appreciated. How much is is 2e R&E going for now?

Cheers

R&E is in the $17-$30 range. Though you can find some people buying them for up to $60, though it's uncommon. Some sellers are listing them for over $100, but no one is buying them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: