The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Favorite template from 1e days
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> Favorite template from 1e days
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:21 am    Post subject: Favorite template from 1e days Reply with quote

What was your favorite template to take in the days of 1e...
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ewok. I have always liked the ewoks when I saw ROTJ at six years old. Great How I Met Your Mother episode that Barney can tell how old someone is on which side they come down one ewoks.
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were there any templates outside the Core Book and Tramp Freighters?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC no.. Not even in the 1e imp or rebel source books...
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Death in the Undercity Reply with quote

The 1e adventure book Death in the Undercity had 6 new 1e PC templates: 3 Mon Calamari (Mediator, Pilot and Technician) and 3 Quarren (Deep Hunter, Miner and Street Hustler).

When this adventure was re-published in 2e form in Classic Adventures: Volume Three, it only had the Mon Calamari Mediator and the Quarren Deep Hunter.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Cap'nCodskale
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject: Don't make me choose! Reply with quote

Oh, man, as I recently began another 1E campaign I was reminded how much I love these templates. I'm pretty fond of the Quixotic Jedi, if for no other reason than it reminds me of Don-Wan Kihotay from the old Marvel comics.
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was clearly the basis. Smile
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That quixotic jedi is one of my faves as well. And i loved using it in a game of scrabble earlier this year.. Stumped my mother, who challenged me on it, but i already knew it was in the Dictionary..
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was it, like a 100 point word or something?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being when we play we use the optional rule for 2 players, that you can take 10 letters PER turn vice the normal 7, it was my first word placed. So the Q started out on the top middle Triple word score, the X on the double letter score and the C in the center X, it worked out to
Q-10
X-8 (with this placed on a double letter it garnered 16 itself!!!) - 16
O, U and T - 1 a piece =3
C - 3
and 2x i - 2,
so.. 10+16+3+3+2=34, x3, x2 = 204 points!!!!
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The failed Jedi!

All the fun, none of the preaching.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone ever had a failed jedi get a new mentor? How hard was it convincing that person to train yu knowing you have already gotten a DSP..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volar the Healer wrote:
The failed Jedi!

garhkal wrote:
Anyone ever had a failed jedi get a new mentor? How hard was it convincing that person to train yu knowing you have already gotten a DSP..

I love the character concept, but unfortunately I've never had a Failed Jedi PC in my game (no players ever wanted to play one). So I've brought them in as NPCs and had them be the teachers of Force PCs. He definitely would not be a PC's first choice of teacher, but if you have no other choices, then there ya go.

As a sequel to normal Rebel group campaign, I did have a solo campaign for one of the very experienced PCs who was not Force-sensitive, but he had a low level Failed Jedi as a regular supporting NPC. He was mostly for comedy relief and stayed drunk most of time, often left behind to guard the ship (passed out). But it was fun. He ended up sacrificing himself to save the hero by willingly leaving with some hypersapient aliens to be "evolved" in a really weird 2001-inspired adventure.

My love for the Failed Jedi template was the primary inspiration for my Call of Cthulhu PC is my very favorite campaign I have ever been a player in (I'm always the GM for Star Wars). I played an alcoholic Catholic priest who had lost his original faith and gets deeply involved in the supernatural to become a magic-using warrior for good. I was the only PC to play in the first adventure of the campaign and survive until the end. All other PCs died off (some players even playing multiple PCs who had died). So not only was my PC on the verge of insanity, but near the end of the campaign I was investigating a series of grisly murders on full moons, and the clues eventually lead back to myself. In the final adventure I realize that I had contracted lychanthropy in the very first adventure of the campaign, and I was the murderer. As I was looking in the mirror I began to transform, and suddenly realized why the werewolf I had fought in the first adventure of the campaign had carried a pistol loaded with a single silver bullet in it. (I had used that gun in the campaign and saved the silver bullet in case I would encounter another werewolf.) So I ended the campaign by loading the silver bullet in the gun and committing suicide as I turned into a werewolf.

Most fun I have ever had a player in an RPG, and it wouldn't have been possible without the Failed Jedi template.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Cap'nCodskale
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: "Where's my trusty flashlight?" Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
How hard was it convincing that person to train you knowing you have already gotten a DSP?

Wasn't the Failed Jedi's starting DSP new with 2E template versions? I don't recall seeing it in 1E (not on the template itself, anyway).

One of my favorite PCs in any game (Star Wars or otherwise) was a Failed Jedi. The player named him Brother Elrond and he was inspired by Strange Brew's McKenzie brothers. Naturally, nobody took him seriously, which usually worked to his advantage. He proved to be the heart of the party, goofy as he was.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Volar the Healer wrote:
The failed Jedi!

garhkal wrote:

I love the character concept, but unfortunately I've never had a Failed Jedi PC in my game (no players ever wanted to play one). So I've brought them in as NPCs and had them be the teachers of Force PCs. He definitely would not be a PC's first choice of teacher, but if you have no other choices, then there ya go.

I thought if the teacher had a DSP, the student got one too? Or am i getting that the other way around..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: