The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

EU characters in Canon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> EU characters in Canon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
evilnerf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject: EU characters in Canon Reply with quote

So I something came to me the other day. Lucasfilm has said they aren't using EU characters anymore (So no Thrawn, Kyle Katarn or any of them old favorites). And it occured to me that these would be PERFECT fodder for a Canon game. After all, just because they don't exist, doesn't mean that they can't.

For example, you could play a game taking place prior to the Force Awakens where Grand Admiral Thrawn shows up and tries to unite the forces of the universe as he did in the EU (depending on how this "First Order" stuff shakes out. I am not sure how that's supposed to work).

You wouldn't have to worry about sticking with the established continuity because it's a different continuity, but still Canon, so it's the best of both worlds.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Although, for me, I only bother trying to stay consistent with the movies. Anything outside the films themselves is subject to "interpretation."
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: EU characters in Canon Reply with quote

evilnerf wrote:
After all, just because they don't exist, doesn't mean that they can't.

For example, you could play a game taking place prior to the Force Awakens where Grand Admiral Thrawn shows up and tries to unite the forces of the universe as he did in the EU (depending on how this "First Order" stuff shakes out. I am not sure how that's supposed to work).

You wouldn't have to worry about sticking with the established continuity because it's a different continuity, but still Canon, so it's the best of both worlds.

If maintaining continuity with the new canon is important for your game, then yes it is true that you can possibly use EU characters in your own way without stepping on the new canon's toes. But it has never been required for any GM to maintain continuity with the EU or even the films themselves. Nothing has changed with the more recent divergent expansion of the film universe that is the canon universe. It's effectively just EU2.

Naaman wrote:
Yup. Although, for me, I only bother trying to stay consistent with the movies. Anything outside the films themselves is subject to "interpretation."

Word. I have had campaigns that contradicted film continuity in the past, but I am no longer interested in those. By my own choice, my interpretations of the films so far are the only true metaplot in my game. I have already used EU characters contrary to the EU because my SW campaign universes are just additional alternate universes in the SW multiverse. My universe has Thrawn, but the events of the Thrawn Trilogy did not occur, at least not in that exact way. Aspects of the new non-film canon are still case-by-case for me, just like with the EU. When I see the new films, I'll decide if I want them to be in my universe as-is, with changes, or not at all, just like anything else.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more that is revealed about the new movie.... the less I feel that it will ne worthwhile, honestly....

When the original teaseer trailer came out, I figured it was a joke... most of the "drama" the try to portray looks more like a parody than a serious attempt at telling the Star Wars story.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: