The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

aiming
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> aiming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: aiming Reply with quote

I had a thought about aiming. I was thinking about the aiming for one round and waiting for the next round for the 1D bonus. Instead of waiting for the next round the player that was aiming would have their shot taking place after ALL other actions are resolved. The player can have no other declared actions for that round and if any reactions are needed there wound be -1D penalty for multiple actions, and the lose of the 1D bonuses from aiming. But the shot at the end of the round would be made at full skill code.

Thoughts.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I much prefer a HR i saw a long time back right after white wolf came out someone had in their games. Each ROUND you aim, you gain +1d to your to hit pool, limit if your Perception score.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: aiming Reply with quote

griff wrote:
I had a thought about aiming. I was thinking about the aiming for one round and waiting for the next round for the 1D bonus. Instead of waiting for the next round the player that was aiming would have their shot taking place after ALL other actions are resolved. The player can have no other declared actions for that round and if any reactions are needed there wound be -1D penalty for multiple actions, and the lose of the 1D bonuses from aiming. But the shot at the end of the round would be made at full skill code.

Thoughts.

This works for me. I made up my own rules on aiming after learning how to shoot. I diverge quite a lot from Garhlal's preference for how to handle aiming.

Although, depending on play style, his version might be the most fitting.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with garkhal, up to a point. I CERTAINLY agree with the limit being the character's Perception score.

The point where I might possibly diverge would be the length of holding the aim. As anyone who has ever seriously shot can tell you, taking the time to aim means more than simply looking down the barrel of the weapon and lining up your shot; you have to take into account your breathing. You have to take into account how long you've held that position, trying to keep yourself absolutely still, muscle fatigue, etc. Those factors right there, if not watched carefully, will ruin a shot.

So I, personally, would think you'd need to have not only a point where you have your maximum bonus, you'd also need a point where that bonus starts to fade; not only would it need to fade, it would need to actually start taking AWAY from the character's die score, and imposing a penalty.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
I agree with garkhal, up to a point. I CERTAINLY agree with the limit being the character's Perception score.

The point where I might possibly diverge would be the length of holding the aim. As anyone who has ever seriously shot can tell you, taking the time to aim means more than simply looking down the barrel of the weapon and lining up your shot; you have to take into account your breathing. You have to take into account how long you've held that position, trying to keep yourself absolutely still, muscle fatigue, etc. Those factors right there, if not watched carefully, will ruin a shot.

So I, personally, would think you'd need to have not only a point where you have your maximum bonus, you'd also need a point where that bonus starts to fade; not only would it need to fade, it would need to actually start taking AWAY from the character's die score, and imposing a penalty.

So how's about you can aim a # of rounds equal to your Str score, before 'muscle fatigue' sets in.. Holding it longer acrues a D penalty per round kept up.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
I agree with garkhal, up to a point. I CERTAINLY agree with the limit being the character's Percepton.

I'm on the opppsite side of the fence on this. Basically, "aiming" is the most basic part of shooting a gun. And anyone who knows how to shoot can attest that the majority of what males a shot straight has to do with the physical elements of "aiming." That is the fundamentals of mrksmanship rely on physical stability and the ability to stay still. The very "last" thing that affects the shot is the trigger pull, which has nothing to do with perception, and
the only component of "aim" that might rely on perception would be sight picture, which is the easiest part of aiming.

But the sight picture is only as good as the physical set up will allow it to be (the "stability" of the position).

Also, aiming for more than one round is a bit much, IMO. Not that it doesn't happen or couldn't happen, but that, as has been said above, there is only so much benefit one can get from taling his time.

Finally, since aiming is fundamental to shooting, and the blaster skill represents a shooter's aim with a blaster, I just don't see room for perception to play a part.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YMMV, of course. It all boils down to playstyle, which is really the bottom line.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: