The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Alternate PC Droid Species
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Alternate PC Droid Species
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Alternate PC Droid Species Reply with quote

This is the species template I used for my last game, though no one chose to make a droid.

Attribute Dice: 12D (Total 18D attributes, 7D Skills)

Dexterity: 1D/5D
Knowledge: 1D/5D
Mechanical:1D/5D
Perception: 1D/5D
Strength: 1D/5D
Technical: 1D/5D

Special Abilities: Droids have six attachment slots and start with one attachment of your choice. Or you can start with six empty slots and +1D of armor.

Restrictions: Droids start as property of another player and no money of their own. Player Character Droids cannot be programmed with new skills via skillware, but learn them the same way other PCs do.

A little background information: This was a compromise decision for a player who wanted to play a droid but didn't want to be behind everyone else on stats. So I gave him the same basic stats as a PC, though with a bit more flexibility in the attributes, and let him design his own droid.

The big restriction was to not allow him to learn new skills with programs. He had his heart set on abusing the system with skillware upgrades and when I wouldn't allow that he made a Farghul fighter/thief style character.

Thought I'd throw this out there in case someone else finds themselves in a similar situation.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does he suffer from ion damage as well as regular damage??
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes to ion, no to stun, like a regular droid

I think that's the rule anyway, been awhile since I've had to look it up.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternate PC Droid Species Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
This is the species template I used for my last game, though no one chose to make a droid.

Attribute Dice: 12D (Total 18D attributes, 7D Skills)

Dexterity: 1D/5D
Knowledge: 1D/5D
Mechanical:1D/5D
Perception: 1D/5D
Strength: 1D/5D
Technical: 1D/5D

Special Abilities: Droids have six attachment slots and start with one attachment of your choice. Or you can start with six empty slots and +1D of armor.

Restrictions: Droids start as property of another player and no money of their own. Player Character Droids cannot be programmed with new skills via skillware, but learn them the same way other PCs do.

A little background information: This was a compromise decision for a player who wanted to play a droid but didn't want to be behind everyone else on stats. So I gave him the same basic stats as a PC, though with a bit more flexibility in the attributes, and let him design his own droid.

The big restriction was to not allow him to learn new skills with programs. He had his heart set on abusing the system with skillware upgrades and when I wouldn't allow that he made a Farghul fighter/thief style character.

Thought I'd throw this out there in case someone else finds themselves in a similar situation.

I like the premise of simplified rules for playing droids by making it work more like an alien species, but having an attribute range of 1D/5D for all six attributes is a min-maxes dream unless you institute a limit to how many attributes a PC can have above a certain value.

I have a rule that regardless of species attribute ranges no PC of any species can have more than one attribute above 3D+2, and no PC attribute can be below 2D. Just throwing out what I do an example.

Regarding droids specifically, having PCs run 4th degree droids can imbalance things, and I would suggest lowering the Droid Dex max to 4D or lower.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was tempted to just make them straight 2D/4D all the way down the board, just like humans. This is a special kind of droid after all, not an MSE or an R2 or even a 3PO.

I don't want to get too specific on the history of design, I want players to be able to create whatever they want for themselves. The history should have something to do with the advanced heuristic programming of the droid that does not allow for skillware upgrades. The programming could be ancient, but something that is generally not used because people aren't looking for a perfect android that mimics life, they want a mechanic or a translator or a janitor.
dph
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, I too just recently had a droid player and allowed him to roll up as a standard character with the Attribute restrictions of the base model.

We discussed a package of attachments together, enough to make him feel like a droid but no so many that he was overpowered. Luckily the base model in this case was actually pretty basic.

Standard damage and ion damage, no stun and must repair himself.

Also learns and raises skills like a character, which i believe the rules actually describe higher end droids (which he is) as being able to do.

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/roguetraders
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just making droids like a race is how we handled things in my games over the years and we've had 3 in the almost 20 years I have been running Star Wars (god, I am old...) We were arming protocol droids with blasters and armor before the droid books came out and gave rules for such things. We had a 'protocol' bodyguard for a player named 'THX-1138'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: