The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

when players get too creative...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> when players get too creative... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krystoffer
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: when players get too creative... Reply with quote

Hi, first post here

I was wondering how you handle situations where players just get too inventive.

For example, assume they use their business skill in order to check what their character knows about some corporation and how it works.

A GM without any experience/knowledge of corporations might have to improvise something that has no resemblance whatsoever to how corporations work, in fact things might get downright contradictory.

A player with more experience/knowledge could easily spot this. Even though things are bound to work differently in the SW universe, corporations can still not be at cross-purposes with themselves.

I mention this just as an example. You probably know the situations I am speaking of, the subject matter could be anything.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This comes up for me in combat. As you say, troops from a different galaxy will have different tactics, but some stuff is pretty basic.

As the player, I wont argue with the GM about it. If asked, Ill give some input out of character. Otherwise, I just let the GM run with what he decides.

As the GM, Id probably try to wing it, honestly. Later on I might do some research on the issue, or Id just try to keep the content limited to what is relevant to the story/gameplay.

Alternatively, I might press "pause" on the game, ask the most knowledgable person and then come up with something that makes sense, then resume play.

You'll see that there are several areas of play where the regulars here discuss what is "realistic" and what is phoney, as we bring our professional experience to an interpretation of the rules.

Even still, the most expert opinion is not always the one that people "like" for their style of play, which is ultimately the most important factor above realism.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:

As the player, I wont argue with the GM about it. If asked, Ill give some input out of character. Otherwise, I just let the GM run with what he decides.

As the GM, Id probably try to wing it, honestly. Later on I might do some research on the issue, or Id just try to keep the content limited to what is relevant to the story/gameplay.

This is my intuition as well. There are times as a GM, if I see that a player is angling for something, I'll ask, "Is there something specific you're looking for?" If they have a strong direction of something they'd like to try, then I'll evaluate it on what it's worth. Sometimes the creative angles make the game so much more unpredictable and fun.

There are times when I've been in a situation where, as an OOC real-live person I have a LOT of information about the subject. Recently our GM put us in a cave for an encounter. I happen to know a WHOLE LOT about cave exploration, and have even written articles for the National Speleological Society. Though I'm usually pretty willing to put up boundaries between not only what I know as a person and what my character knows, but also between what is a cinematic representation of a thing, and what a real-life thing is. When my GM found out that I used to be a hard-core caver, he looked surprised and taken aback, and looked a touch out of his depth (no pun intended). But I told him that in the game, it wasn't a real cave. It's a movie-cave, or a TV-cave. Those are FAR different than anything in real life. So, what he says, goes, and normal exploration techniques, probable deductions, and logical evaluations go entirely out the window.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur. I have known more about Star Wars and combat than most of my GMs. I usually sit quietly when they make a faux pas and roll with it. Like Chesire I consider the Game universe to be a separate reality of the GM's creation.

When something comes up, like if we can't agree on something, we go to OOC and discuss things. We come to an agreement on how to proceed and then get back into OOC.

The thing to keep in mind is that it we're playing a game. We're here to have fun.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Often in situations like that, i might pause game and ask for input for what their 'end game' is..
Krystoffer
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the feedback

And I wholly agree, the point is to have fun and not get bogged down in details.

The question "is there something specific you are thinking about" and then limiting the answer to what is relevant to the game is what I ususally do.

I was just wondering what techniques others had. Keeping the players immersed and feeling that the world is actually living is something we all strive for as GMs.

With regards to names of characters/planets and technology I have a paper full of jibberish. I just combine words from it like "ione" and "relay" to make up terms if needed.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also times i look at the stats OF the character. Like say in an ADND game someone who's character has ave int and ave wis, trying to come up with an engineering device more apt to be something a genius would come up with. i would quiz them how they feel their character would KNOW of that..
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question about what a player is looking for is a good way to go.

It always cracks me up when players try to keep their plans a secret until that ultimate cinematic moment when the "reveal" will shock everyone and demonstrate their sherlock/bruce wayne strategic intellect... like they were leading the gm by the nose all along...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last Origins, one of the players on my table, when 'prepping' for a raid into a prison for a break, actually asked me (the gm) to leave the table so they could 'plan in secret, so i would not be aware of what they were up to, and counter it'.

First time that has ever happened to me.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup.. exactly what I'm talking about! Very Happy
Merrick
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its a "what would my character know" question and they make a decent roll I would keep the information they glean to what is likely publicly available. Also keep it pretty generic, the more unexpected... the more generic.

At a certain point just cap the information they have available for such skills.

One example of such skills that might often be abused or unexpected is Investigations. Its description makes it a catch all for giving away the story line or at least handing over critical information the PC's should work for.

Keep in mind you can always just limit what a skill is able to give. They might be the best investigators in the galaxy and sometimes there is simply no information or clues to be gathered at their current location.

The flip side is don't make the skill useless... give them some juicy tidbits once and a while. Even if you think of something a little further into the adventure after you have had time to process. You can use such times to influence the direction of the session in a way that is convenient to you as well.

And sometimes... give them the reward. I have had to end adventures early in some cases and gave out extra character points to boot. Once and a while they just have a darned good idea. I try to have a second adventure lined up before every session.

A lot of this comes down to experienced players as someone mentioned earlier and a balance between effort and reward. At this point in our middle age my friends and I all have kids and are pressed for time. We just want to have a good time on the limited game days we have. We all tend to just go with the flow and enjoy the character interaction and Roleplaying more than anything.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also allow varied results using different skills.

IE say they are trying to gleen info on how imperials took out a rebel base on a world they just got to.
Investigation rolls at diff 17 bring info XYZ
Street wise rolls at diff 21 get info ZTQ
Persuasion rolls at 19 get info QYB..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: when players get too creative... Reply with quote

Krystoffer wrote:
Hi, first post here

Hi! Welcome to the Pit!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Krystoffer
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: when players get too creative... Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Krystoffer wrote:
Hi, first post here

Hi! Welcome to the Pit!

Smile Thanks!

And thanks all for the feedback.
Cap'nCodskale
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Reply with quote

Welcome, Krystoffer!

garhkal wrote:
Often in situations like that, i might pause game and ask for input for what their 'end game' is.

Naaman wrote:
The question about what a player is looking for is a good way to go.

Echoing garhkal and Naaman, it's helpful to define stakes before any roll. That is, GM and player agree on what success and failure mean.

If a player wants his/her character to leap across a 3-meter chasm, it's pretty obvious what success and failure might look like. No need to create consensus.

By contrast, non-physical outcomes aren't so immediately obvious. Use of these non-physical skills is best preceded by quick discussion and agreement of stakes, which means the player needs to declare in relatively clear terms what success and (interesting) failure might look like to him/her.

Ideally, terms of success propel action. Ambiguous success terms like, "I am familiar with SoroSuub Corporation," don't move things forward (and may require continual negotiation of level of familiarity as new circumstances arise).

Better terms, suggesting subsequent action:
  • "I am familiar with SoroSuub data terminal security protocols," suggesting I may know how to circumvent them
  • "I am familiar with SoroSuub organizational hierarchy," suggesting I may be able to tell if this guy's exaggerating his importance
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: