The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Music in Star Wars
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Music in Star Wars Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
They were far less careful with the music from SW:Rebels and TCW.

I hadn't heard, but I am not knowledgable about such things. Music from TCW TV series and Rebels is available for listening at the composer's website. I bought the CD release of TCW "movie" soundtrack, and I bought a legally purchased download of TCW TV series soundtrack on Amazon. I'm still waiting for a Rebels American release (purchased download or CD).

cheshire wrote:
I must say, they've done a masterful job making sure you can't just rip these directly from the site.

Thanks for pointing out that when I meant available for free, I did not mean for free download. The TFA links I have posted in this thread are indeed for free listening.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Cap'nCodskale
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: No slights intended Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I disagree that the prequel scoring is in any way inferior to classic music (I feel Williams' high quality scoring is a very consistent attribute over the course of the whole film series), but I do respect your preference (or anyone else's) ...

To be clear, Whill, I didn't mean to suggest Williams' prequel scores are inferior. Definitely less familiar. They haven't the benefit of forty years of listening!
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: TFA Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
From seeing The Force Awakens three times, it is obvious that two of the new main leitmotifs are a theme for Rey and a march for the Resistance. I am confident that over time I will grow to love TFA music, because it happened with each prequel score and John Williams is awesome in general.

As far as use of existing themes, the biggest no-brainer is the Force theme appearing in several ways throughout the film. Han and The Princess appears prominently in appropriate scenes, and Leia's theme more briefly appears too. Luke's theme appears a few times in the film itself (beyond the opening crawl and end credits), and at least one time it scored Han Solo's heroics. Rebel Fanfare appears a few times, the most prominent use in my mind being in conjunction with the Falcon.

I've listened to the OST and the FYC a few times and I'm really enjoying the music. TFA scoring and soundtracks are definitely on par with the previous Star Wars films. This is what I have so far for the new motifs of TFA. I've updated the second post of this thread above with this info...

First appearing in The Force Awakens

Rey's Theme (TFA) - This robust theme for Rey has multiple parts and many various renditions throughout the film. It's beautiful.

Kylo Ren's Theme (TFA) - Associated with Kylo Ren.

Resistance March (TFA) - Associated with the General Organa's Resistance against the First Order.

Sequel Action Theme (TFA) - This is a definite, distinct theme reoccurring throughout the film and even appearing in the end credits suite, but I'm not sure what to call it. It seems to mostly be associated with Poe and Finn and mostly scores action.

Snoke's Motif (TFA) - This theme is very similar to the Sith motif appearing only in the opera scene of RotS where Palpatine is talking to Anakin about Darth Plagueis the Wise.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
cheshire wrote:
They were far less careful with the music from SW:Rebels and TCW.

I hadn't heard, but I am not knowledgable about such things. Music from TCW TV series and Rebels is available for listening at the composer's website. I bought the CD release of TCW "movie" soundtrack, and I bought a legally purchased download of TCW TV series soundtrack on Amazon. I'm still waiting for a Rebels American release (purchased download or CD).

Same here. I've bought every piece of Star Wars music it is possible to purchase. Though I do like to see what websites do "behind the scenes" so to speak. I liked to tinker with HTML back in the day, so I can see a little of what designers do. Some sites take pretty extensive steps to protect their properties, and others do not. In this case, Disney did a simply amazing job.

And, like you, I really am hoping they give us the ability to purchase the music for Rebels. It would be nice to round off the collection.
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like someone else already posted on this. However, with the new TFA soundtrack, extended (For Your Consideration) version, direct download links to the mp3s can be found on the John Williams fan site:
http://www.jwfan.com/?p=8489

And somebody compiled a detailed list comparing the tracks in the CD version and the Disney online version:
http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/25913-the-force-awakens-complete-score-breakdown-chronological-order-film-spoilers-allowed/
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red 331 wrote:
Looks like someone else already posted on this. However, with the new TFA soundtrack, extended (For Your Consideration) version, direct download links to the mp3s can be found on the John Williams fan site:
http://www.jwfan.com/?p=8489

I didn't mention that here because I was not sure those links were intended by Disney to available for free public downloads, but I am not knowledgeable about such things. However, I also don't know that they were not intended to be available for free download. All I know for sure is that the FYC is not available for purchase, and Disney did intend on making the music available for free public listening.

Red 331 wrote:
And somebody compiled a detailed list comparing the tracks in the CD version and the Disney online version:
http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/25913-the-force-awakens-complete-score-breakdown-chronological-order-film-spoilers-allowed/

Yeah I just love those film score nerds at JWFN. I'm sure that thread is the one where I got my chronological playlists from.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
dph
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always use music in game and try to stick to the theme, utilizing game and movie soundtracks (Morrowind is a fav for fantasy games and Battlestar Galactica for SW) but I've recently discovered an amazing fremium site:

http://tabletopaudio.com/

A heap of ambient, looping 'scores' and 'settings' and a series of 'soundpads'

I usually leave one (check out Orbital Platform and Dome City centre for SW) running and then throw in some SFX from the soundpas... The soundpads actually have their own 'mini' soundtracks too.

I have that running on my PC in the background using my ipad with a desktop remote control.

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/roguetraders
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tossk wrote:
I've recently discovered an amazing fremium site:

I usually leave one (check out Orbital Platform and Dome City centre for SW) running and then throw in some SFX from the soundpas... The soundpads actually have their own 'mini' soundtracks too.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing this! I love it!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tossk wrote:
I always use music in game and try to stick to the theme, utilizing game and movie soundtracks (Morrowind is a fav for fantasy games and Battlestar Galactica for SW) but I've recently discovered an amazing fremium site:

I have that running on my PC in the background using my ipad with a desktop remote control.

This is really cool. Thanks!
Theodrim
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play music quite frequently in my game sessions. On top of the normal SW theatrical fare, I throw in the Shadows of the Empire soundtrack (for when the PC's are dealing with Black Sun) and the KoTOR soundtrack for Inquisitors, and SWTOR soundtrack (ludicrously underrated, because the game is generally crap).

On top of that...

Brian Tyler became my go-to composer for leitmotifs and music associated with the Mon Calamari. I drew heavily upon the Children of Dune soundtrack for my "liberation of Dac" storyline, and it kind of became a whole thing. Specific to Admiral Ackbar (who plays a large role in the campaign), I throw in elements of Williams' Midway score. and to a lesser extent Jerry Goldsmith's MacArthur score. Hell, for the end of that storyline, I whipped out Audacity and made a remix of the Midway theme seguing into the Star Wars ending credits theme, that actually ended up being really cool.

I've also thrown in bits and pieces of Bear McCreary's scores for Battlestar Galactica here and there. The various remixes and rescores for "Wander my Friends" kind of became an unofficial leitmotif for Airen Cracken.

When it comes to the Mandalorians (who are featuring more and more in the campaign), I'll go for anything with a drum-heavy, tribal or militaristic sound. Taiko features very heavily.

I also try to give notable NPC's in the Spec Ops group discernible, in-character leitmotifs and themes. Half the time I make the character based on a song or two I heard.

And of course, the theme of the storyline also weighs in. When the PC's were in the Tapani sector at the start of the campaign, I did a trio of storylines (two of which were premade -- "party of the century" and "bacta heist") in which I used a lot of country, western, and western-themed music. Even got to throw in "Mexican Standoff" from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly during the climactic scene that involved a three-way standoff between the PC's, the ISB, and Mecrosa Order assassins over some Imperial economic data involving a certain superweapon.

During last Halloween's rakghoul game, I used a lot of music from Alien Isolation and the films, Walking Dead, and Silent Hill (in my game, the Empire released the rakghoul plague on Dentaal -- the Candorian plague was just a cover story).

I'll throw in bits and pieces from the Mass Effect soundtracks when appropriate. Those games are a musical goldmine. And naturally, anything from TSfH, Audiomachine, or Epic Score when "it" hits the fan.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galactic Empire

This album is a lot of fun. If you ever wanted to use rock Star Wars themes in your game, here's your chance.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Galactic Empire

This album is a lot of fun. If you ever wanted to use rock Star Wars themes in your game, here's your chance.

I only watched the first track so far, but that is just SOOOO hilariously cheesy AND crazy awesome at the same time, I'm surprised it didn't break my computer. Music like this shouldn't be able to exist. And yet...it DOES. Shocked Mr. Green
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Whill wrote:
Galactic Empire

I only watched the first track so far, but that is just SOOOO hilariously cheesy AND crazy awesome at the same time, I'm surprised it didn't break my computer. Music like this shouldn't be able to exist. And yet...it DOES. Shocked Mr. Green

The whole album just came out last month, and I just got the CD this week. I've only listened to the album all the way through once, and some tracks are better than others. Duel of the Fates is the only one that struck me as just... no. But I don't think this is at all music that shouldn't exist. It is long overdue in my book.

Truly in the category of 'shouldn't exist', I present to you Cocktails In The Cantina by Evil Genius Orchestra, Star Wars lounge music. I have that CD too. 8)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a heads up, they now have the soundtracks for SW Rebels seasons one and two.

I think that they are alright for mood music. The really good ones are reminiscent of John Williams' work. When I tend to put together mood music for RPG sessions they tend to be longer tracks, but the ones on the SW Rebels tend to be on the shorter side. Which makes sense given the medium that they're working with. They can't blow 5-7 minutes of screen time on a chase scene without dominating the episode.

I can see myself using them as filling gaps or extending a mood when I'm putting together an adventure playlist.

Season One:
https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Rebels-Original-Soundtrack/dp/B01LRZ5D6M/

Season Two
https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Rebels-Original-Soundtrack/dp/B01M1IMYUL/
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
As a heads up, they now have the soundtracks for SW Rebels seasons one and two...

Season One:
https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Rebels-Original-Soundtrack/dp/B01LRZ5D6M/

Season Two
https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Rebels-Original-Soundtrack/dp/B01M1IMYUL/

Thanks, Cheshire! I've added them both to my MP3 Cart.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: