The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

I'm a new GM, Help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> I'm a new GM, Help!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Ben
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: I'm a new GM, Help! Reply with quote

I have a couple questions I couldn't find in the books.

Do NPC's get a wild die?

I don't see stats for any interdictor ship that I read about in novels and in the video games. The ones that pull ships out of hyperspace in order to attack them. How do they work?

I had some questions about jumping to hyperspace, but I haven't read that section of the book real close yet.
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: I'm a new GM, Help! Reply with quote

Lord Ben wrote:
I have a couple questions I couldn't find in the books.

Do NPC's get a wild die?

Only important ones (which is up to the GM's discretion).

Note that some NPCs that are written up in books even have CP and FP, which they can use just like PCs can.

Quote:
I don't see stats for any interdictor ship that I read about in novels and in the video games. The ones that pull ships out of hyperspace in order to attack them. How do they work?

I believe there are stats for the Interdictor Cruiser in the Thrawn trilogy sourcebook(s). Someone else can hopefully dig it up, as I'm taking off to work right now. Embarassed

Quote:
I had some questions about jumping to hyperspace, but I haven't read that section of the book real close yet.

Calculating hyperspace coordinates is a bit complicated. Xzil pointed out to me awhile back that the best idea is to simply make a lot of small jumps if you're going a long way across the Galaxy. The difficulties are lower and you're much more likely to cut down on your time that way. Also, it gives the GM more opportunities to throw things in the PCs' way. Smile

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lord Ben
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than the die rules, do you have to be X miles away from planets/other ships/etc?
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually I don't log in at this time, but since I'm home and have been looking over the threads, I figured I'd try helping a little here. On the Interdictors, the Rebel Roleplayers Alliance website posted stats out of the Imperial Sourcebook concerning them. You can check there, RRA, for the stats online. You could also check the Alliance Battle Group for the stats online. Or if you are more intrested in getting the sourcebooks, you could visit the PDF sharing thread in the Tools forum and download the Imperial Sourcebook, the Heir to the Empire Sourcebook, the Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook, and Gry's Starship Stats compelation PDF, among others.

Wanted Poster
Vanion
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Ben wrote:
Other than the die rules, do you have to be X miles away from planets/other ships/etc?

Based upon what the 2nd ed R&E book says... I've always played out entering and exiting hyperspace as if you are simply travelling from one set point in space to another... like connecting the dots across the galaxy. Since space is so huge I tend to think it would be more likely that an astrogation computer would only log one specific point (coordinates) per location (or planet). Since the hyperdrive computer has to plot a course around all the space hazards, such as astroid fields... it would come back to my "connecting the dots" theory... therefore... (sorry for such a long explanation for such a simple question)... when leaving a planet I always make the players reach that specific point in space before they can enter hyperspace.

This method would also explain how a handfull of capital ships could blockade all incoming and outgoing traffic from an entire planet... they would just have to cluster around that one (or two) points in space. I also increase the difficulty of "micro-jumps" for my own logic and based on theory above.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm a new GM, Help! Reply with quote

Lord Ben wrote:
Do NPC's get a wild die?

If you decide to use the wild die, everyone (including NPCs) should use it. It works best that way.
Even stormtroopers get lucky sometimes. We have enjoyed the moments when some NPC nobody bested one of our heroes. Of course, the heroes usually try to recruit that NPC.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe all rolls get wild dies, no matter who rolls it.

As far as I know, you have to be out of a planet's atmosphere and well into space before you can enter hyperspace. That allows for some pretty exciting escapes from planet, as you'll have to fight off the chasing fighters for many rounds until you can enter hyperspace. If I remember correctly, even the actual astrogation plotting takes about 6 rounds.

You also can't enter hyperspace if you're too close to an asteroid or capital ship, just be reasonable with it.
Esjs
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the way I've always seen it: Gravity is bad for hyperspace travel. You don't want to be near large masses, like planets/moons, when going into hyperspace because it will through you off or rip you to shreds (or something horrible like that Twisted Evil ). Another way of looking at it is that astrogation computers could have a built in safety mechanism that disables the hyperdrive in high gravitational fields to make sure you don't "fly through a star."

So we've played that a ship needs to get far enough from a planet's gravitational pull to successfully (or accurately) enter hyperspace. The point of an outbound "blockade" is to keep ships from getting out to that point (IMO).

Interdictor Cruisers create planetary proportions of artificial gravity. This has the effect of bringing ships out of hyperspace (again, for safety, you don't want to fly yourself into the middle of a planet) and then keeping ships from escaping.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: