The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

MR-5N Protocol Droid
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> MR-5N Protocol Droid
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:49 am    Post subject: MR-5N Protocol Droid Reply with quote

Been thinking about this one for a while. I've always enjoyed the character of Marvin the Paranoid Android from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and I've always thought he would've been far more interesting in Star Wars than Threepio's constant nattering.

Sirius Cybernetics Corporation's MR-5N Protocol Droid

Dexterity 2D
-Dodge
-Running
-Pick Pocket
Knowledge 6D
-Alien Species
-Cultures
-Languages
-Planetary Systems
-Scholar
-Willpower
Mechanical 2D
-Communications
Perception 4D
-Bargain
-Con
-Gambling
-Hide
-Persuasion
-Search
-Sneak
Strength 3D
-Lifting
-Stamina
Technical 2D
-Computer Programming/Repair
-Droid Repair
-First Aid

Equipped With:
-Humanoid Body (Two arms, two legs, oversized head)
-Human Range Visual & Audio Sensors
-Vocabulator Speech / Sound System (can reproduce virtually any sound it hears or is programmed to reproduce)
-AA-1-X VerboBrain
-Translang III Communications Module (7 million+ languages)

Move: 6
Size: 1.2 meters tall
Cost: 5,000 new, 3,500 used.

Capsule: The MR-5N series protocol droid is a rare example of a droid being made too well. It was designed with an oversized and highly capable droid brain (necessitating the large head) as well as very perceptive sensor systems, which were intended to give it better awareness of details of other beings as part of its protocol and translation function. While slow moving, the MR-5N's body frame is surprisingly tough and durable. The MR-5N's vocabulator allows it to duplicate almost any sound, and the default vocal mode is a deep, sonorous bass voice, intended to have a soothing effect.

Where the designers failed, however was in making the droid so intelligent that it was often far smarter than the organic beings it served. Most MR-5N units generally treat others with a sort of resigned tolerance at having to deal with such simple beings. However, without regular memory-wiping, tolerance gradually morphs into active disdain, sarcasm and subtle (or not so subtle) insults. Some unit personalities have even devolved to the point of exhibiting symptoms of what would be called clinical depression in an organic being.

While initially popular, many owners tired of the droid's subtle yet constant condescension (at least, those owners smart enough to realize it). Sirius Cybernetics had plans in the works to recall the series and correct the issue, but the production line came to an abrupt end when a bloody revolution broke out in the Sirius system, site of the company's headquarters. Much of the company's personnel was killed in the initial fighting or executed in the proceeding chaos. As such, MR-5Ns are no longer in production, and are found almost exclusively on the used droid market. Many end up in the hands of fringe elements who lack the resources for something better, and the MR-5N series has proven to be a surprisingly useful and resourceful aid to their owners, assuming they can adjust to the droid's personality issues.

Designer's Note: As I mentioned in the opener, I always thought Marvin would be more fun than Threepio. This droid is designed to allow players to operate a Marvin-esque character in the SWU. Because it's a droid, it will commonly be overlooked, yet it is invariably the smartest being in the room, and resigned to the fact that no one ever takes notice of his helpful (and wise) suggestions until it is too late (or nearly so).

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great. I like Threepio just fine in the films, but I would love to have a Marvin-type character in the game. I thought of a Shard template inspired by Marvin: a very capable 18D attribute sentient being trapped in the body of a 5th degree manual labor droid.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:06 am    Post subject: So I can tell I've been on Facebook to much... Reply with quote

I was looking for the 'like' button and couldn't find one!

Love it.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice bit of Star Wars connection trivia: the actor in the Marvin suit in the 2005 movie was Warwick Davis.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
A nice bit of Star Wars connection trivia: the actor in the Marvin suit in the 2005 movie was Warwick Davis.

I remember that. He's done so many movies.

I'm a big fan of the books (well, the first two and the last one), but I didn't care much for the movie. It was ok, but it just cut so much out and it didn't really work for me. The next time I read the book, I'll re-watch the movie right after to have the whole story fresh in my mind, and maybe I'll like the movie better. And I didn't imagine Marvin to look like the movie version at all and don't care for the movie design. I think of Marvin as having more hard angles.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I'm a big fan of the books (well, the first two and the last one), but I didn't care much for the movie. It was ok, but it just cut so much out and it didn't really work for me. The next time I read the book, I'll re-watch the movie right after to have the whole story fresh in my mind, and maybe I'll like the movie better. And I didn't imagine Marvin to look like the movie version at all and don't care for the movie design. I think of Marvin as having more hard angles.

There are aspects of both that I like. I felt that the droid body from the old BBC series was too clunky to fit in with my vision of Star Wars. However, as much as I enjoy Alan Rickman as an actor, I found his version of Marvin had something of a desperate, whiny tone to it, as opposed to the resigned, long-suffering misery of the BBC's Marvin. For whatever reason, I felt the BBC captured Marvin's tone from the novels better than the 2005 film, so what I picture in my head for this is the film Marvin body with the BBC Marvin's personality.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
This is great. I like Threepio just fine in the films, but I would love to have a Marvin-type character in the game. I thought of a Shard template inspired by Marvin: a very capable 18D attribute sentient being trapped in the body of a 5th degree manual labor droid.

That would work, too. I just think it's closer to Marvin's original back story to have him be a droid whose personality is the result of a design flaw.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: