The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What alien race?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> What alien race?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: What alien race? Reply with quote

Of all the new alien species introduced in the Force Awakens, the short stubby googly eyed Maz Kanata is the most interesting to me.

Anyone have any idea/thoughts of what species she is? is it one we already know from all the alien source books out there, or is it something new??

Last edited by garhkal on Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We may never know unless Disney gives us anything official. We still don't even know what Yoda's species is.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe all of the alien species that made their debut in the movie are brand new. Never been seen before in any novel or movie or on TV.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:
I believe all of the alien species that made their debut in the movie are brand new. Never been seen before in any novel or movie or on TV.

And if forceally says it's not been in anything, it's NOT been in anything.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ave yet to find any information about her species. She is pretty much confirmed as being Force Sensitive but untrained. Which contrasts with Lor San Tekka who is not Force Sensitive, but has a lot of knowledge about the history and beliefs of the Jedi. Belonging to a faith called The Church of the Force.

*** SPOILER ***

I think we are going to find out at a later time that Lor San Tekka helped Luke establish the now destroyed Second Jedi Order. Though the majority of that information is probably lost, in the Visual Dictionary Lor San Tekka's most prized possession is listed as "Cherished Artifact: Hidden in a plain leather sack is one of Lar's most valued possession - an antiquated data storage unit." I think this contained the partial map to Luke Skywalker but I am unable to confirm this without seeing the scene a few times. Unfortunately the pirate copy I have is okay to watch, but not very good.

I think it is possible that the data storage unit may contain all the information he has gathered about the Jedi over the last 40-50 years. Would be interesting if it did.

http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Maz Kanata..What race? Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Of all the new alien species introduced in the Force Awakens, the short stubby googly eyed Maz Kanata is the most interesting to me.

Anyone have any idea/thoughts of what species she is? is it one we already know from all the alien source books out there, or is it something new??

I concur with Forceally and CRMcNeill. I checked the Visual Guide and there is no mention of a species name for her.

shootingwomprats wrote:
*** SPOILER *** ... I think this contained the partial map to Luke Skywalker but I am unable to confirm this without seeing the scene a few times. Unfortunately the pirate copy I have is okay to watch, but not very good.

There's already pirated copies of the movie? Despicable!

Forceally wrote:

I am very happy that Chewbacca, Ackbar and Nien Nunb appear TFA. However a minor disappointment I have in the film is that there is not a single alien species from the previous movies appearing as background characters in the new film. I get new planets so new alien species, but I just wish they would have put a single background species from an established species instead of all new species. They couldn't put even one? (At least from the classic trilogy but preferable one from the classic films also appearing in the prequels.) I think it would help established the shared universe idea.

The new species I am most interested in is Ottegans (See Praster Ommlen). They look vey similar to Ithorians except they have a single mouth, and it has been stated that they may be biologically related to them. This is the closest we got to a TFA background appearance by an alien species appearing in prior films.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would have been nice to see a trandoshan, Togorrian, Tiranni, Ithorian or Twi'lik in the film.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
It would have been nice to see a trandoshan, Togorrian, Tiranni, Ithorian or Twi'lik in the film.

I personally would have liked to see a Togorian or Trianii in any film, but those are EU species. I would have loved to see one single background Twi'lek in TFA because those were in both previous film trilogies.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck, other than in the Mos Eisley cantina scene from ANH, we only saw ONE Whiphid and one Ithorian on screen.. Never again did we see any of those 2 iconic races.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Heck, other than in the Mos Eisley cantina scene from ANH, we only saw ONE Whiphid and one Ithorian on screen.. Never again did we see any of those 2 iconic races.

That's not true. Ithorians appear in TPM and AotC. Whipids also appear in AotC. And they have both appeared in animated Star Wars.

The prequels had a good mix of classic aliens and new aliens in the background. TFA just had new background aliens only, with one inspired by a classic one. Hopefully we will get some old aliens in Episodes 8 or 9.

I wasn't impressed by the design of all the new background aliens in TFA, but of course this is a very minor issue.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Cap'nCodskale
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Ho-hum Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I wasn't impressed by the design of all the new background aliens in TFA, but of course this is a very minor issue.

Frankly, I was disappointed by the designs for the two big non-human characters, Maz Kanata and Snoke. Not a lot there to capture my interest and far too human, if you ask me. Confounding that two of the least (visually) interesting non-humans were ones unhampered by practical effects.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Ho-hum Reply with quote

Cap'nCodskale wrote:
Frankly, I was disappointed by the designs for the two big non-human characters, Maz Kanata and Snoke. Not a lot there to capture my interest and far too human, if you ask me. Confounding that two of the least (visually) interesting non-humans were ones unhampered by practical effects.

The appearance of Maz Kanata was based on JJ's favorite high school teacher. I understand making the character a new species but, based on her role, keeping her humanlike, so I had no issue with her.

As far as Supreme Leader Snoke, he has not been established as an alien and could be a (somewhat deformed) human.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Ho-hum Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Cap'nCodskale wrote:

...As far as Supreme Leader Snoke, he has not been established as an alien and could be a (somewhat deformed) human.

OK Cap'n, I guess you were right about Snoke. TFA novelization establishes him as "humanoid but not human". For now I maintain that he still might be some near-human species, if they even ever establish his species.

As for your point, I am not particularly enamored to his appearance but I reserve judgement on how interesting a character he is pending future revelations about his background and role in this trilogy.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
DB 2.0
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some of the original Canteenia background aliens that where deleted from the CGI producers cut have made a come back as background aliens in the new bar seen, but I'd have to dig out my THX Re-masted edition VHS Tapes of the original trilogy to be sure (and find a VHS Machine to play them on).
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB 2.0 wrote:
I think some of the original Canteenia background aliens that where deleted from the CGI producers cut have made a come back as background aliens in the new bar seen, but I'd have to dig out my THX Re-masted edition VHS Tapes of the original trilogy to be sure (and find a VHS Machine to play them on).

I would love for a Shistavanen Wolfman to become film canon again! Whatever aliens they are, please share your findings whenever you get a chance to check. I've seen TFA four times so far and I haven't seen any, but I wasn't specifically looking for them.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: