The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Is this right?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Is this right? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ardrikk
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krapou wrote:
2nd Ed. R&E Rulebook p148 : wrote:
Example: Ana is entering combat: she has a
lightsaber skill of 4D, a control of 5D and a sense
of 4D+2. She activates lightsaber combat by making
her Moderate control roll and her Easy sense
roll; she decides to keep the power "up." Since
she is making both the control and sense rolls in
the same round, each suffers a -1D penalty.

She adds her sense of 3D+2 (4D+2 - 1D) to her
lightsaber skill roll of 4D, for a total lightsaber of
7D+2. She adds her control of 4D (5D-1D) to her
lightsaber's damage of 5D, for a total of 9D.

When Ana attacks in a round, that's another
action, for an additional -1D to all actions (total
penalty of-2D): she'd only roll 6D+2 to attack and
would roll 8D for damage.

So it seems that both totals are modified by multiple actions penalties...

Did I miss something ?

Yeah, I just recently was able to read through some of the R&E rulebook and read that too.....it doesn't make sense to me that you'd penalize the dice you get to add as bonuses *and* also penalize your rolls. The example under lightsaber combat is clearly wrong, since the actual description (not example) of how the power works doesn't mention these extra penalties.

Finally, I'd like to point out a neat site I found. This guy has homebrew rules for a lot of the Force Powers and I *think* I actually like the way his version of lightsaber combat works better than I do WEG's write-up.

Here's the site http://moonswing.starwars-rpg.net/205-homemade/hm00-index.htm

And here's his write-up for lightsaber combat:

Quote:

Control Difficulty: (See Below)

Sense Difficulty: (See Below)
Time to use: Instantaneous
Required Powers: Nil
Effects:

To use a lightsaber most effectively, a Jedi learns this power. The Jedi uses this power both to wield this elegant but difficult-to-control weapon while also sensing his opponent's actions through his connection to the Force.

When a character wishes to use a lightsaber, the power automatically activates.

When using this power, the Jedi adds his sense dice to his lightsaber skill roll when trying to hit a target or parry, with a -2D to the users sense skill.

If the hit is successful, he may then add or subtract up to the number of his control dice to the lightsaber's 5D damage also with a penalty of -2D. Players must decide how many control dice they are adding or subtraction before they roll damage.

Finally, the Jedi may use lightsaber combat to parry blaster bolts. To do this, the Jedi does not have to declare the parry that round, and may perform such an action as a reactionary skill usage.

The Jedi may also attempt to control where deflected blaster bolts go, although this counts as an additional action. The Jedi must declare which specific shot he is controlling. Then, once the roll is made to see if the blaster bolt was parried by the Jedi, the Jedi makes a sense roll, with the difficulty being his new target's dodge or the range (figured from the Jedi to the target). When a Jedi attempts to control the direction the bolt goes, the Jedi's sense skill is affected by the normal multiple action penalty rules. The damage is that of the original blaster bolt.

The Force skills used in Lightsaber Combat (for the to-hit or damage roll) are not further penalised by any other multiple action penalties or any other modifiers other than the -2D.
Example:

The Jedi Jovan has found the lair of Laren'Dahl, the Sith Lord. Jovan ignites his lightsaber, ready for battle. No roll is required to activate the Lightsaber Combat power. Jovan's Control skill is 4D his Sense skill is 3D and his lightsaber skill is 5D. Jovan has the Lightsaber Combat power. Jovan declares 1 action - attack. Jovan gets the jump on his enemy and attacks first.

Since Jovan is only performing one action, there are no multiple action penalties. The attack would be 6D (5D for the Lightsaber skill + 1D for the Sense skill which has had the -2D penalty). The hit is successful, and the damage caused would be 7D (5D for the Lightsaber's own damage + 2D for Jovan's Control skill which has been modified by the -2D penalty).

It is a little bit of a toss-up for me, though, since his way does actually penalize damage where the normal rules wouldn't. However, it cuts down on the somewhat annoying bit of having to make two skill rolls every time you start combat, just to get your power working. This one assumes that all Jedi, who know the power, can just activate this effortlessly and automatically by turning their lightsaber on.

It neatly bundles in penalties to offset this and keep it very similar to the original power. And, as a further bonus, just using this power does not affect all the *other* actions a Jedi might want to take in a round (acrobatic leaps, dodges, etc).

I dunno, what do you guys think?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MA-3PO wrote:
I thought applying the penalty to damage(control) helps balance this power more. After all, how often does a Jedi need to be inflicting, for example 10D-18D worth of damage? It seems excessive to me...

I always apply the MAP to both the control add in to damage, and to the sense add in to the LS skill as well as to the LS skill itself. Keeps the jedi's somewhat under control IMO..

As to the DSP for someone using his full 18d (or so) on a target with only 2-3d str.... I would warn. If he is continually doing it, then yes, i would award a DSP for willful overkill.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rul that since the force skills themselves are added to the Lightsaber skill and damage, the penalty would only come off the lightsaber skill use, and damage would be unaffected. Otherwise, there is no point to even using this power unless you have ungodly control and sense skills to start with. So 4D control and 3D sense with a 5D Lightsaber skill would resolves attacks at 6D (5D+3D-2DMAP), and damage at 9D (though this may result in a dark side point at GM's discretion...gray area). If you apply the penalty to the force skills before they are counted you get attacks at 4D (5D+{3D-2D}-2D) and damage at 7D. While damage is slightly better, there is no reason for your skill to be penalized twice, and it defeats the purpose of the power.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: