The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Ithorian sonic concussive bellow
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Ithorian sonic concussive bellow Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
lol, right. If you don't like the racial rewrite, then don't include it in your game. I ignored this racial ability for years. And even now, I'm still opposed to it doing normal damage, so I thank womprat for his inspiration but I'll be making my own version that suits me.

You do realize the write-up does not do damage, but instead does stun (possible deafness) or surprise 1D rounds (deafness) right?
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would you roll damage when a character with a higher attribute would be more vulnerable? I'm assuming a character with a high Perception would have more sensitive hearing than a character with average or low Perception, and would thus be more vulnerable to an attack that potentially causes deafness. Strength minus Perception vs. Damage?

Also, while I have mixed feelings about the new canon, I do like it when the cartoons help fill in the gaps of the classic era, with interesting new facets of old races like this. As long as it isn't too over-the-top (which I don't think this is), I have no problem adding it to my SWU.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Cap'nCodskale
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:35 am    Post subject: I'm your bellow fellow Reply with quote

Thanks for the solid write-up, shootingwomprats. Tartakovsky's SW:CW cartoons may no longer be official canon, but they'll always be part of my SWU.

In contrast to what's there in Wookieepedia, I imagine the bellow may be an esoteric skill (rather like overtone singing in our world) enabled by Ithorian biology, instead of an ability shared across the species. It doesn't strike me as ubiquitous.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is why i don't consider the clone war cartoon to BE canon.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Interesting. In my opinion, the 2003 cartoon is the BEST representation of Star Wars that has ever been produced, save for A New Hope.

Sadly, Qui-Gon Jinn is my favorite character, and he shows up the least across all the movies (even less than Jar Jar Sad ).
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meesa love Qui-Gon mooie mooie!

Naaman wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Interesting. In my opinion, the 2003 cartoon is the BEST representation of Star Wars that has ever been produced, save for A New Hope.

I find that to be very interesting. Overall general story-wise, the 2003 CW cartoon is less contradictory to the films than the post-film TCW series (which takes an outright "icky icky goo" on film continuity), but CW's Jedi superheroes are just way too overpowered for my tastes. But to each SW fan his own. I'm glad you and your unique view are here as part of our diversity. It takes all kinds.

That reminds me of my feeling that, outside of the original Star Wars film, if any film is going to be the "quintessential SW film" it would be TPM. It's got a little bit of everything. In a way, it's a tribute to the classic trilogy. TPM is a great introduction to the Star Wars franchise as a whole. There are probably not a lot here that see it that way, but I'm used to being in the minority.

shootingwomprats wrote:
I am with you Whill...

Special Abilities:
-- Sonic Bellow: during their early development Ithorians used this adaptation to stun small prey and to signal danger. Due to the peaceful ideology of the Ithorian culture most do not practice this ability nor choose to use it, wanting to distance themselves from their less peaceful origins. Whenever the Ithorian wishes to bellow roll Moderate stamina for the first attempt. Increase the difficulty for each additional use in a standard day. Failure means the bellow was not properly performed but still counts towards the total number when figuring difficulty. Treat as a sonic attack with a range of 1/2/3 meters, STR+1D damage. On a result of wounded or higher treat the target as surprised for 1D rounds (unable to move or defend, temporarily deafened, unless wearing appropriate protective gear). If used to signal the bellow may be heard for several kilometers depending on weather and environment.
shootingwomprats wrote:
You do realize the write-up does not do damage, but instead does stun (possible deafness) or surprise 1D rounds (deafness) right?

No, I did not realize that at all. The word "stun" only appears in the first sentence, and the way I read it that is capsule fluff text that may not mean stun damage in game mechanical terms. The game mechanics don't enter until the third sentence, and the word "damage" does not appear until the sixth sentence (five sentences later after the word stun).

If you want to describe some ability or weapon as causing "stun damage", then I suggest at least putting the word stun in the same sentence as damage. Here, I fixed it for you (underlining the only change):

Quote:
Sonic Bellow: during their early development Ithorians used this adaptation to stun small prey and to signal danger. Due to the peaceful ideology of the Ithorian culture most do not practice this ability nor choose to use it, wanting to distance themselves from their less peaceful origins. Whenever the Ithorian wishes to bellow roll Moderate stamina for the first attempt. Increase the difficulty for each additional use in a standard day. Failure means the bellow was not properly performed but still counts towards the total number when figuring difficulty. Treat as a sonic attack with a range of 1/2/3 meters, STR+1D stun damage. On a result of wounded or higher treat the target as surprised for 1D rounds (unable to move or defend, temporarily deafened, unless wearing appropriate protective gear). If used to signal the bellow may be heard for several kilometers depending on weather and environment.

Still not exactly how I would probably do it, but closer.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I find that to be very interesting. Overall general story-wise, the 2003 CW cartoon is less contradictory to the films than the post-film TCW series (which takes an outright "icky icky goo" on film continuity), but CW's Jedi superheroes are just way too overpowered for my tastes. But to each SW fan his own. I'm glad you and your unique view are here as part of our diversity. It takes all kinds.

And in comparison to a lot of the EU novels, now called legacy, are even less conflicting.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The superhero thing is somewhat over the top.... but for whatever reason, it doesn't bother me. Maybe because it seems that only Mace and Yoda did anything really extravigant, while the most ridiculos thing we see Obi-Wan do is repel a bunch of little bullets
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Clone Wars cartoon was pretty awesome. Especially the ARC troopers.

For me, I thought of the over-powered jedi sequences to be the visual representation of a re-telling of a re-telling of a re-telling.

Like at the end of the Mace Windu segment...the little kid gives him a drink of water. I imagine that little kid grows up and tells the tale of what he saw, with all the exaggeration of a grandfather telling his grandkids what he saw.

And we, the viewer are witness to the visuals.

In a way all of Star Wars is meant to be that way...

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

Is a substitute for

"Once upon a time in a kingdom far, far away..."

But on-topic...

As far as I'm concerned, Ithorians have a bellow..but it doesn't damage anything without being augmented by The Force.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
For me, I thought of the over-powered jedi sequences to be the visual representation of a re-telling of a re-telling of a re-telling.

Like at the end of the Mace Windu segment...the little kid gives him a drink of water. I imagine that little kid grows up and tells the tale of what he saw, with all the exaggeration of a grandfather telling his grandkids what he saw.

And we, the viewer are witness to the visuals.

In a way all of Star Wars is meant to be that way...

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

Is a substitute for

"Once upon a time in a kingdom far, far away..."

That's sort of how I "canonized" some things that I can't accept the reality of in my SWU. Both Clone Wars cartoons are in-universe children's shows far in the future, loosely based on the history and legends of the Clone Wars. The Droids cartoon is a set of false memories Artoo programmed in C-3PO after his memory wipe, just to mess with him. The Ewoks cartoons are just future tribal village stories told by the elders to little woklings about their ancestors. The live-action Ewok films were what Wicket on a couple of Endorian peyote trips.

8)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
vulture811
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out the write up for the bellow that the saga edition, it actually hurts
them to use it more, or to cause it to be more powerful.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Quote:
Sonic Bellow: during their early development Ithorians used this adaptation to stun small prey and to signal danger. Due to the peaceful ideology of the Ithorian culture most do not practice this ability nor choose to use it, wanting to distance themselves from their less peaceful origins. Whenever the Ithorian wishes to bellow roll Moderate stamina for the first attempt. Increase the difficulty for each additional use in a standard day. Failure means the bellow was not properly performed but still counts towards the total number when figuring difficulty. Treat as a sonic attack with a range of 1/2/3 meters, STR+1D stun damage. On a result of wounded or higher treat the target as surprised for 1D rounds (unable to move or defend, temporarily deafened, unless wearing appropriate protective gear). If used to signal the bellow may be heard for several kilometers depending on weather and environment.

Still not exactly how I would probably do it, but closer.

Since you sent me over here, let's see...

My main nitpick here is specifying the difficulty of subsequent bellows. I think what you mean is that the first bellow is a Moderate Stamina roll, and the second bellow is a Moderate Stamina+1 roll, the third would be Moderate Stamina+2, etc., but I'm not sure that's entirely clear.

Also, do you envision this as being a "sonic grenade", or a focused shout? If someone is standing behind the Ithorian, do they also have to worry about the damage? When the Ithorians bellow, does it sound like FUS RO DA? Wink
Argentsaber
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that this is a sonic attack (and thus energy based), perhaps removing the +1D would be appropriate? Might also fall in line with the other thread about using PER to soak this kind of attack rather than STR, though I might rule that a helmet would still grant it's bonus.

Personally, I think I will not use this as a species ability in my games, but I certainly will consider it as a potential Control based power.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argentsaber wrote:
Given that this is a sonic attack (and thus energy based), perhaps removing the +1D would be appropriate? Might also fall in line with the other thread about using PER to soak this kind of attack rather than STR, though I might rule that a helmet would still grant it's bonus.

Personally, I think I will not use this as a species ability in my games, but I certainly will consider it as a potential Control based power.

Thanks.. I envision any sonic attack as being PER soaked, rather than str..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: