The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

My art
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Artwork -> My art Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:26 am    Post subject: My art Reply with quote

My SWAG gallery:

http://www.swagonline.net/user/1389/gallery

My Deviant Art gallery:

http://dredwulf60.deviantart.com/
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just took a look at these... well, your deviant art at least. SWAG doesn't seem to be accessible any longer.

Very cool art! I'm a big fan of the Mandalorian armor look, myself. Thanks for sharing!
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

The SWAG site just happens to be undergoing maintenance at the moment. Smile
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOLz11!!1!! Still undergoing maintenance... Very Happy
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: My art Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
My SWAG gallery:

My Deviant Art gallery:

That is nice work!

What are you using? I've been oogling a Cintiq companion... maybe for my birthday later this year. I like to work in pencil/colored pencil, but I'm thinking about adding digital to my repertoire if for no other reason than to be able to experiment without consuming my materials, and then do the final piece in a more classical media.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: My art Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Dredwulf60 wrote:
My SWAG gallery:

My Deviant Art gallery:

That is nice work!

What are you using? I've been oogling a Cintiq companion... maybe for my birthday later this year. I like to work in pencil/colored pencil, but I'm thinking about adding digital to my repertoire if for no other reason than to be able to experiment without consuming my materials, and then do the final piece in a more classical media.

Thank you!

I typically draw in pencil, then scan into digital.

Then I 'ink' and colour digitally using photoshop 7. I used to use a mouse, but a couple years ago I got a Bamboo pad and stylus...much better.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I'm looking at these again amd I have a question:

Do you feel that the digital media "holds you back" at all?

I'll give you an example of what I mean:

I find that my skill n one medium is not 100% transferrable to another medium (as a pencil guy, I'm not a grat painter, for example).

Do you feel like there is a learning curve when going from pencil to digital?

I'm expecting a learning curve when I finally do get set up for digital.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: My art Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
My Deviant Art gallery:

Nice work! I especially love this one:

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:

I find that my skill n one medium is not 100% transferrable to another medium (as a pencil guy, I'm not a grat painter, for example).

Ohhhh yeah. BIG learning curve.

I used to do pencil...then go over in ink...then erase the pencil and then colour by pencil-crayon.

I used to do this for all my important NPCs and for player characters. But that's a heck of a lot of work and you never get smooth colours with pencil crayon.

Then... in the late 90s I started seeing other amateur artists putting stuff up on the net...with beautiful if basic colours.

So I knew I had to get in on that. I acquired myself a copy of Photoshop 7 and started looking at some online tutorials.

On my SWAG gallery you can see some of my earlier works (but not my earliEST works...those are crap.) You will see that there is some really strong black lines...and the colour within those lines...almost colouring-book style.

Because I was still going pencil...then ink....then scan....then colour.

And all the digital was being done with a freakin' mouse.

A few years ago my wife got me a stylus and pad by bamboo. But even still I find it hard to draw on a sensitive pad while watching the result on the monitor. It's hard to re-learn. Not as hard as I thought it would be...you catch on fairly quick.

But I still prefer to hand-draw and then scan it in to complete in digital.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: My art Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Dredwulf60 wrote:
My Deviant Art gallery:

Thanks.

Yeah, he's got a mean no-nonsense efficiency about him I think; that was the plan. That character is a soldier through-an-through. Clone Wars veteran.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
Naaman wrote:

I used to do pencil...then go over in ink...then erase the pencil and then colour by pencil-crayon.

I used to do this for all my important NPCs and for player characters. But that's a heck of a lot of work and you never get smooth colours with pencil crayon.

Then... in the late 90s I started seeing other amateur artists putting stuff up on the net...with beautiful if basic colours.

So I knew I had to get in on that. I acquired myself a copy of Photoshop 7 and started looking at some online tutorials.

On my SWAG gallery you can see some of my earlier works (but not my earliEST works...those are crap.) You will see that there is some really strong black lines...and the colour within those lines...almost colouring-book style.

A few years ago my wife got me a stylus and pad by bamboo. But even still I find it hard to draw on a sensitive pad while watching the result on the monitor. It's hard to re-learn. Not as hard as I thought it would be...you catch on fairly quick.

Don't take this the wrong way... I actually mean to complimentary... the piece that Whill points out is a great example what I mean:

The line/contour work seems far more advanced than the CG elements of the work. I kinda worry that when I switch to digital, I will have to go through this learning curve and deal with all the frustration that comes with...

Truth be told, no matter how skilled the digital artist, I always seem to feel that thheir digital works lack a certain, "life" that the more physical, classical media convey... I don't know if it is a "skill" thing or a limitation inherant in the media itself, but its something that also, IMO, affects animated films...
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My art Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
Whill wrote:
Dredwulf60 wrote:
My Deviant Art gallery:

Thanks.

Yeah, he's got a mean no-nonsense efficiency about him I think; that was the plan. That character is a soldier through-an-through. Clone Wars veteran.

This piece showcases a certain expertise that doesn't just come from nowhere. As an example of what I'm talking about, the stance looks totally natural and the grip on the rifle is so "correct" anatomically that its clear the artist isn't just experimenting.

I'm wondering if he used a reference photo, actually.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Dredwulf60 wrote:
Naaman wrote:

Don't take this the wrong way... I actually mean to complimentary... the piece that Whill points out is a great example what I mean:

The line/contour work seems far more advanced than the CG elements of the work. I kinda worry that when I switch to digital, I will have to go through this learning curve and deal with all the frustration that comes with...

Truth be told, no matter how skilled the digital artist, I always seem to feel that thheir digital works lack a certain, "life" that the more physical, classical media convey... I don't know if it is a "skill" thing or a limitation inherant in the media itself, but its something that also, IMO, affects animated films...

I get you.

It's a big improvement from coloured pencils...but a classically trained artist using digital media can do wonders. They can use as if it's oil based paints without any of the hassle and get the results near photo-realistic.

Also, yes I use models whenever possible. Obviously live models are not very practical, so photos are a very good substitute.

I didn't save the photo I used, but it was something similar to this:

http://www.intelligent.net/sites/all/themes/marinelli/images/Dismounted-Soldier---Gear2.jpg
Teazia
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of good stuff going on there. If I could make a suggestion it would be that your pay more attention to the outline of the figure, make more interesting negative space (which also means more interesting positive space). A bit more oomf and action with the contour. You have a pretty strong grasp of the basics.

Cheers!
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teazia wrote:
A lot of good stuff going on there. If I could make a suggestion it would be that your pay more attention to the outline of the figure, make more interesting negative space (which also means more interesting positive space). A bit more oomf and action with the contour. You have a pretty strong grasp of the basics.

Cheers!

As much as I like to always continue to improve, this advice doesn't help me much. It reads a bit like: "The way to get better is to be better at being better."

Perhaps if you could give me some more concrete examples. Be more specific? What exactly doesn't work for you, and what changes EXACTLY would you be suggesting?

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Artwork All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: